“Not worth the money”

Zermatt Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Midway
Reviewed September 9, 2012

Disappointing for the price; The housekeeping in the halls was non-existent. We had to ask for housekeeping in our room. Condo was very lovely but the bedroom was cramped - furniture too big for size of room. Z Chop Haus was excellent and worth the very pretty penny.

Room Tip: Stayed on 2d floor of Chateau Villas - facing the back of the mountain - quiet and comfortable - if...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Donald H, Manager at Zermatt Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded September 15, 2012

Thank you for your feedback, without it we cannot address our service levels and strive to meet your expectations. We apologize for the miscue with housekeeping and will share your comments with the staff. In regards to the rate which you paid for the condo we realize if we do not meet your expectations any rate is to much. Please allow us to invite you back so we many give you the guest service you expect. Thank you

Reviewed September 5, 2012

The staff was very friendly and accomodating in every way they possibly could be! We also found the other guests were friendly and warm. It is close to home but you feel like you've gone someplace very different and unique! There is always something to do ,lots of activities to pick or a perfect place to relax! We can't wait to visit again!!

Room Tip: We would suggest to be away from the elevator!!
Reviewed September 2, 2012

Staff was not friendly, receptionist was very curt & unfriendly during checkin. There is no signal for cell phones inside the hotel rooms making it impossible to make any calls. WiFi connection is very slow. AT&T wifi also not possible due to no signal. Worst was that the Matty's Bistro was understaffed (maybe just 1-2 waiters) at prime breakfast & dinner times causing a long wait time. Actually, after a point, they stopped seating people inside as they claimed the kitchen was overbooked, which means the kitchen was also poorly staffed. And that too during a long weekend when they should be expecting huge crowds. Room walls are thin, could hear folks talking in the next room very easily. Overall bad experience & will not come back. They charge as though they are a 5 star resort, but are not even worth a 2 star.

1  Thank P M

We do understand that AT&T does not have a strong signal on property, and we have asked AT&T to address this,but they will not. We do apologize for the lack of smiles at the front desk and we are taking steps to better educate our staff on guest service. In regards to your comments about a very busy restaurant, we do realize the need to adjust staff levels to busy times and we will do a better job in the future. I would like to mention that we also have two other restaurants as well The Z Chop and Steak Haus and Simon's both of which were not as busy during your stay and serve great food. We are sorry you feel our rates are at a 5 star level, we feel we are very competitive with four diamond level resorts. We monitor rates on a daily basis and find we are at or below our competitors. We hope you will reconsider visiting us again and allow us to meet your expectations. Thank you

Reviewed September 1, 2012

Great setting, beautiful area, but the service is poor...weak at best. I called a few days ahead for a Luxury Condo, asked for an early check-in and was told no problem. When we arrived the excuses started to fly about why the room wasn't ready. The staff truly was annoyed that I had even asked for the early arrival, but my travel plans landed us in Mid-way earlier than expected (room wasn't even ready at normal arrival time).

This is a Luxury hotel with a One-Star staff. Remember that Park City, The Canyons, Stien Erickson & other fine hotels are nearby & pass on the socalled resort. If Customer Service with a smile is important than the Zermatt isn't what you are looking for in a Resort.

• Stayed: September 2012
1  Thank Exire
Donald H, Manager at Zermatt Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded September 6, 2012

Thank you for your feedback, your comments allow us to better train and coach our staff. We understand that our guests expectations must be met everyday. We will address your concerns with our staff to insure that the level of guest service meets and exceeds our guests expectations. Please accept our apologizes.

Reviewed August 28, 2012

I was very much looking forward to my one night stay at Zermatt. I wish I could have experienced the wonderful service others have spoken about.

When I got my room it was nice...but in the basement! I have never stayed in a hotel that had rooms in the basement. It was very disappointing- but again, I was looking forward to my stay so closed the blinds and preceded to do what I had come to the hotel to do- relax and sleep.

At 7:58am the next morning there was a knock on the door followed by the shout, "Housekeeping!". I yelled back, "No thanks!" and made note of the time thinking, "What hotel housekeeping starts knocking on doors at 8am?".

At 9am, "housekeeping!" again, and same response from me. I put a "Do Not Disturb" sign on my door.

At 10am same thing, but I was in the shower, so I hoped they would just go away- which they did. At this point I was getting a little frustrated.

At 11:05pm, I got a phone call from the front desk asking if they could search my room for some lost slippers the last guest left behind. I told them I didn't see any but they were welcome to check but I wondered why this couldn't wait another hour until I checked out.

A bellman knocked on the door to look for the "lost slippers". I thought he would enter quickly and apologetically, quckly looking for the lost items. Nope. I opened the door and he slowly entered taking stock of the room. He asked if I wanted help with my bag (which was already packed by the door). "No, thank you" I told him.

He looked under the bed and in the closet for the "slippers" and on his way out once again asked if I wanted help with my bag. "No", I said. I was beginning to feel like a very, very unwelcome guest.

I was relaxing on the bed when again there was a knock on my door followed by "housekeeping!". At this point I was completely peeved. I opened the door and said, "Boy, you guys sure are anxious to clean this room- can't you wait 20 more minutes 'til I check out?!". That is when the housekeeper said, "Check out was at 11:30- ten minutes ago.." "Oh", I said, remembering distinctly that it had said 12:00 was checkout time when I had booked my room on Orbitz.

So, I grabbed my bag (remember, it was already packed and by the door!) and went upstairs to checkout. I told the girl at the front desk, "I didn;t realize checkout was at 11:30, Orbitz said it was 12:00 and no one told me." She said, "Actually, check out is at 11:00". Suddenly it made sense why they knocked on my door looking for the "slippers". Why hadn't they just told me it was checkout time instead of making up a story?

I apologized and told her I wasn't aware, that Orbitz said it was at noon and somebody should have just let me know. I told her that housekeeping had knocked on the door almost every hour from eight o'clock forward. She said, "Oh." and I may have well told her I had gum on my shoe for how much she cared.

So that is my experience at Zermatt. I will continue staying at the Homestead where I have for many, many years and have always felt welcome and love the surroundings. Some things just aren't worth all the hype.

Room Tip: Ask for a room not in the basement
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank notrohdn
Donald H, Manager at Zermatt Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded September 5, 2012

We would first like to apologize for the staff disturbing you. Our standards are not to knock early and often, this will be addressed with the staff. As well we have contacted Orbitz and corrected the check out time. Our goal is to meet your expectations and give our guests great service. Our front desk staff should have addressed your concerns as we want every guest to enjoy their stay. Again we apologize and hope you will return, please contact us so we can have you as our guest.

Reviewed August 17, 2012

Just came back from a quick business stay. Hotel staff was very helpful after check in.
RaNae worked her magic to get tee times for our group and the bellmen were awesome.

Checking into my room was a challenge, when I arrived to check in i was informed my room was not ready. I asked if they had any rooms ready so I could get my items in my room before my meetings. I was informed they had a 4pm check in policy and NO rooms would be available until that time. We will call you!

When I returned my key was ready and Once I found my room it was next to a service elevator. so I had banging dishes on carts and people talking very early in the morning.

My Room was nice but my air conditioning was loud. I tried to open my window for fresh air but due to the very noisy Air conditioning system outside the hotel that did not help.Choices?

With that said I would still stay here again, But would make sure my room met my needs.
The overall property is great and be sure to try there home made breakfast foods.

Room Tip: Ask for quiet and a view.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed August 13, 2012

Spent the weekend for our anniversary. Couldn't have been better. We ate at the Z Chop Haus and the food and service were terrific. We stayed in a 1 bedroom villa. Very clean and comfortable. The surrounding area is beautiful and there is more to do in the area than we could fit in. Will definitely be coming back to the Zermatt!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Midway
Homestead Resort
Montage Deer Valley
Montage Deer Valley
#3 of 60 in Park City
The Lodge at the Mountain Village by ASRL

Been to Zermatt Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!