“Very Good, what I was looking for.”

Holiday Inn Express Salt Lake City South-Midvale
Ranked #4 of 13 Hotels in Midvale
GreenLeadersGold level
Hershey, Pennsylvania
“Very Good, what I was looking for.”
Reviewed February 9, 2012

I chose this place due to its ease of access to the mountains, its newness, and the fact that I get some Intercontinental Hotels Group reward points for it.
I had read that the place was pretty new and well-kept, and it didn't disappoint. Stylish modern decor, very clean, and nothing seemed worn. It's small and wasn't very crowded when we went. Easy checkin, they had our registration pre-packed so we zipped right in. Friendly welcome, good directions. Room overachieved for the cachet of the hotel. We got an executive Q/Q, which was quite large. All the usual stuff, but a bit deeper, with a sofa (bed I think) and a coffee table and added floor space. Flat-panel TV could be seen from both sitting and sleeping areas. Plenty of desk/counter space and power outlets. Free Wi-Fi worked well. Could have done with a few more channels, and it seemed like they were pulling stuff from different time zones (though this simply could have been my inability to read a TV guide). Bathroom was nice, good water pressure/temerature. Good products and the towels were adequate. Beds were very comfortable with choice of firmness in pillows. We had some cookies and bottled water waiting for us as part of our membership. It also granted us a 2 pm checkout. Overall, the room quality was closer to that of an upper-tier 3-star/low 4 than a business-budget spot.
Public space was held to a similar standard. The breakfast area was nice, as was the food available there as part of the room rate. Pool area was great as well. There were a range of other amenities, but I won't bother to list them here as they're all readily available on the website.
Target, Walmart, chain restaurants all a short drive down the road. Golden Corral buffet right across the parking lot, and the Bohemian Brewery and restaurant nearby is worth the stop. 30-ish minutes to Snowbird, Alta, Brighton, and Solitude. The first two can be pretty brutal, so if you're unseasoned or out of practice, the latter 2 might be more your pace. I enjoyed all four this time around. About 20 minutes to downtown SLC, where we got discounted tickets and some gear at Canyon Sports. Also strolled around a bit on our last day to take in the sights of the cool little city.
For 2 young guys on an already costly ski trip, I'm not sure it was worth the money ($125ish a night for us). I don't mind spending big on lodging, but usually when I want an unforgettable experience at the hotel itself. Likewise, I don't mind going super-budget when the story is in what's around me. This area in between budget and luxury doesn't particularly suit my needs at this point. That being said, this property offers all the comforts of a full-service hotel, minus some of the services and dollars spent.
There are certainly cheaper options nearby, but they come at a risk. There is no risk here, and I doubt you'll be disappointed.

Room Tip: 325, An executive double queen, was clean and quiet, on the top floor.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
Denise M, Sales Manager at Holiday Inn Express Salt Lake City South-Midvale, responded to this review, February 11, 2012
Thank you for taking time to write a review on your recent visit to Salt Lake City, Midvale and local ski areas. Your comments are greatly appreciated and we are pleased that you found your accommodations at our hotel and the surrounding areas to be satisfactory.
Regards,
Denise McConkay
Sales Manger/Holiday Inn Express- Midvale

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Fairfax, Virginia
Reviewed January 20, 2012

We found a pot of gold in Midvale, Utah. This was our first trip to Salt Lake City as we were spending our time to go snowboarding. We were going to see what all the hype was about. The snow hype was legit, and we knew that going in but to make the experience a 5 star experience was that we were able to come back to an awesome hotel to rest after many hours in the mountains. I'm going to lay out a few things below so that you will stay here for YOUR visit to Salt Lake City area.
**Location**
This hotel is located in one of the suburbs of Salt Lake City. It is about a 20 minute drive from downtown Salt Lake City. So this hotel is located right off of Fort Union drive and is convenient to just about everything you can think of. They have a Super Target that's about a 6 minute drive and that is located in a mini shopping center. As far as eateries there is a Chipotle, Buca di Beppo, Pho 33 (located in nearby Sandy which is about a 10 minute drive), Chili's, and a Bohemian Brewery. You get the point, for most of your needs there are places that are 4 minutes away. If you feel the need that you have to be in SLC then by all means stay there but just know that you're getting the exact same thing but for a better price (so I think).

**Proximity to Ski/Ride Location**
CAN'T get any better than this for the price. We were no further than 32 minutes away from all of the world class resorts from Deer Valley, to Snowbird, to Brighton. Granted if you go to Powder Mountain (Pow Mow) that's a 90 minute drive but that's no big deal. We were so happy we chose this location

**Rooms**

We must've been the first people to stay in that room. This hotel is two years old but its brand spankin' new!! We walked in to a spacious King room with one area for sleeping and another for the so called living area which was great since we had all of our snowboarding gear. I love the smell of new. The bathroom was of good size and one thing that we absolutely LOVED was the fact that we had a refrigerator AND microwave. That helps out so much when you're going back and forth to the mountain and need a place to put your snacks instead of keeping them in your car. It also helps if you decide to go to Buca di Beppo and get a HUGE dinner and you know you can have leftovers and heat it up! There were two of us but it felt like we had more than enough space. The beds were mighty comfortable for us because as we said we were snowboarding all DAY LONG! All it took was the hot tub and a hot shower and we were out!

*Amenities*
Amenities for this Holiday Inn Express were pretty good. I enjoyed the pool and hottub a lot but more so because we FREQUENTLY had the place to ourselves. Not that I hate kids, but I do like it when they aren't splashing all over the place and whining -- so yes, I liked it a lot!!!! Peace, Quiet, and Relaxing ---> PERFECT. Complementary Breakfast was served every morning and we ate it EVERY Morning as we need to the nutrients. They have the regular bagels, cereal, eggs, bacon ( on occasion). Its all you really need. There are two computers if you need to print something such as boarding passes or directions. You can't print huge manuscripts but they'll give you the first 10 pages for free.

**STAFF**
Hmm, what to say about the staff---> AMAZING. We were new to Utah and they answered all of our questions and were very helpful. They knew that we were going snowboarding everyday and meant that we needed more towels and they never rolled their eyes or got agitated, they just handed them over. They were always helpful for all of our mountain questions (not that we had a lot) but they really were excited and proud of their state.

**Overall**

I'd give the place 6 stars if I could just because having a great time for your first visit makes everything so great. When I come again I will stay here (and I'm Platinum at both Marriott and Sheraton) so that should tell you something right? Stoked for next season and I'm already sending out inquiries for next season. Such a great stay and a great hotel.

***If you Ski/Snowboard and want more info --feel free to send me a msg***

Room Tip: Rooms are pretty awesome!
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Denise M, Sales Manager at Holiday Inn Express Salt Lake City South-Midvale, responded to this review, February 8, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to post a review of our property and customer service. It was a pleasure being of service to you and look forward to you next visit.
Regards, Denise McConkay
Flower Mound, TX
Reviewed October 12, 2011

I've stayed here dozens in times, and never had a bad experience. The service is truly excellent - you will not find a friendlier, more down-to-earth, ready-to-help staff anywhere. The rooms are well-equipped and always immaculate. The location is within a few blocks of at least a dozen eateries and within a few minutes of all your national retail chains, making it an extremely convenient home-away-from-home. Plus there is a good hot breakfast as well as packaged snacks available 24/7.

• Stayed September 2011
2 Thank SuzanneJ_BizTrvlr
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed March 22, 2011

Very pleasant experience - clean hotel, quiet, convenient, everything brand new, very affordable, friendly staff.
You will enjoy your stay!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank ta4nya
Delaware
Reviewed January 16, 2011

We recently had a group of 4 skiers stay at the Comfort Suites in Midvale. This is a new Comfort Suites and it shows. Everything sparkles, from the rooms to the pool to the breakfast area. The room is a nice sized suite, with comfy beds and tons of nice, soft pillows. There was also a pullout sofa that we didn't need but was a nice touch. There was in room coffee and tea, microwave, fridge, hairdryer, toiletries. I think the only thing they missed, that I always use, is the pullout clothesline over the tub.
We really appreciated the free breakfast before we hit the slopes every day. It included make your own waffles, hardboiled eggs (very rubbery tho), cereal, numerous bagels, cream cheese. There was always a hot entree as well that included either bacon or sausage and those "prefab" eggs. I would say they were the only negative of the entire trip. Regardless, it was so nice to have a mostly decent breakfast before heading out each day.
And special mention to all the wonderful people behind the front desk there. It's very rare to hear a young girl say "I love my job and I'll be here whenever you come back. I'll be here forever I love it that much!" I can't remember her name but she was there in the early mornings and was extremely helpful and upbeat. When our flight home was cancelled she made sure we were able to stay on, without worries. Kudos to her for being so caring.
We loved skiing Snowbird and Alta (just 20-30 mins away up the canyon road) and will definitely make this our home when we come back again. It's a really great area, quiet yet to close to tons of restaurants and shopping. We liked it so much we're recommending it to our ski club next year for our annual trip!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank kitkat09
Road Warrior
Reviewed May 30, 2010

Newer Comfort Suites are some of my favorite hotels to stay in and this hotel is no different. I had a king suite which was spacious and spotless, in fact my room was so clean I had a hard time telling if anyone had actually even stayed in it before.

I loved the decor of the room it was very classy, we had a microwave and mini fridge and a large flat panel tv as well. Its clear the owners put a lot of thought into the design of this hotel. The hotel had a lot of nice touches one in particular that was neat was that the room numbers were illuminated, they also doubled as an electronic "Do Not Disturb" or "House Keeping" sign, no more hanging the little tag on the door handle if you don't want to be disturbed.

A couple of minor negatives were the Internet speeds. The hotel has both wired and wireless Internet but the speeds and reliability were only decent at best. They were fast enough for streaming video but barely.

Another minor negative were the bed and pillows, the pillows were small, flat and cheap and the bed was a tad overly firm for my taste.

The location of the hotel was excellent with easy access to 2 Interstates I-15 or I-215, also there is pretty much every type of dining, shopping, grocery, etc, etc you could ever need with in a mile or two of the hotel. The street the hotel is on is quite trafficy though so if you want to open your window and enjoy the nice Salt Lake air its going to be a little noisy.

The hotel has a pool, fitness center and hot tub, none of which I used but I did see them. There was also a business center with 2 computers and a printer in the front lobby. On the second floor is a nice, clean guest laundry with 2 washers and 2 dryers but they are very expensive at $2 a pop. Two dollars is the most I've ever seen at a hotel for a washer and dryer, even when I stayed down by Yellowstone NP, where everything is an overpriced rip off, I only paid $1.75 per machine.

I should also add that the staff were great at this hotel as well, the assistant manager, didn't catch his name, was quite an interesting character and adds a little something extra to the hotel beyond your basic boring check in, check out of most hotels.

All in all this is a great but not perfect hotel, still at around $70 per night, which was what I paid, it was a tremendous value and I'd definitely stay again.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank AlCzervik1
Henderson, Nevada
Reviewed May 22, 2010

This is a newer hotel that's convenient to DT Salt Lake City and the southern suburbs. Really clean, great service and very good rates. Plenty of dinning options to walk to.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank travelinlife4me
Also consider these accommodations in or near Midvale
Crystal Inn Hotel & Suites Midvalley - Murray
Homewood Suites by Hilton Salt Lake City-Midvale/Sandy
Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Salt Lake City-Fort Union
Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Salt ...
#23 of 75 in Salt Lake City
The Park Inn by Radisson Salt Lake City – Midvale
Extended Stay America - Salt Lake City - Union Park
Staybridge Suites Midvale

Been to Holiday Inn Express Salt Lake City South-Midvale? Share your experiences!