The Homewood Suites in Midvale is a very solid, quiet and affordable ($99 a night with a AAA discount) three star property with the added bonus of rooms with a separate bedroom and living rooms, full breakfasts each morning and light dinners Monday through Thursday evenings.
We used the property as our home base for a ski vacation and made the relatively short commute to either Alta or Snowbird most mornings. The advantages of staying down in the valley instead of up on the mountain are two fold: (1) you sleep better at a lower altitude, particularly if you're a flat-lander and (2) it is much cheaper.
The breakfast provided is not exactly gourmet, but it is certainly as good as a local coffee shop and usually has lots of options, like eggs, waffles, cereal, yogurt, fruit, coffee and orange juice. You won't go hungry and you'll be prepared for an exhaustive day of outdoor activity.
The light dinners included tacos, nachos and chilidogs. Not the most nutritious meals, but a very cheap option -- it's free -- and not a bad way to go for your first night, when you are tired and don't feel like going out for dinner.
They have a much-needed indoor swimming pool and hot tube -- the latter is great to soak sore muscles at the end of the day.
A previous reviewer wrote there was a weird smell at the property. We thought it might have been a problem with the heating and cooling system. Our A/C -- yes we actually needed it in April -- didn't work in our room and it had a strange smell. The staff was accommodating and put us in an upgraded room and credited us one night's rent for our trouble. Scotty -- the main maintenance guy at the hotel was particularly helpful -- he attempted to trouble shoot the problem and he made arrangements for us to move to our new room.
A previous review also said not believe the hype about the fireplace suites. They are natural gas burning fireplaces and a nice little extra for cold winter nights. We tested ours to see if it worked -- which it did -- but didn't use it because it was too warm.
I understand that the property is about 12 years old and it seems to be well maintained.
We'd return again.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Welcome to the Homewood Suites by Hilton- Salt Lake City Midvale/Sandy. With each stay, enjoy: daily breakfast, weekly managers evening reception featuring light meals and complimentary beer and wine, and free in-room WiFi. Our central location places you within easy access to all that Salt Lake City/Sandy/Midvale have to offer with year round activities. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Priceline, Orbitz, Hilton Hotels Direct, Expedia, Travelocity, Hotwire, Cancelon, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Homewood Suites by Hilton Salt Lake City-Midvale/Sandy reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Homewood Suites By Hilton Midvale Hotel Midvale
- Homewood Suites Midvale
- Homewood Midvale
- Hilton Midvale
- Midvale Hilton
- Midvale Homewood Suites
- Homewood Suites By Hilton Salt Lake City-Midvale/Sandy Utah