“Good food, slow service”

Ganesh Indian Cuisine
Ranked #62 of 137 Restaurants in Midvale
Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Families with children
Nashville
“Good food, slow service”
Reviewed January 26, 2013 via mobile

I went in to try the buffet but it was just about closing time, and the food looked old and as it had been out a while. However, when ordering off the menu, the food was great. Very tasty and just the right amount of spice. It took a very long time to get the check, despite trying to find the waiter several times.

Clearwater, Florida
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Not as spicy as you want it.”
Reviewed January 15, 2013

The food is just okay, and the ambience isn't all that great. It was not as spicy as we requested. Not bad if you are hungry, and you just want to fnish a meal.

Visited January 2013
Midvale, Utah
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Very Disappointing”
Reviewed November 12, 2012

We love Indian food and were very excited to find this restaurant nearby. We eat Indian food quite often when we travel and are eager to try out the lunch buffets and dinners in areas we visit.

Appearance: mediocre to disappointing, could be cleaner
Food: among the worst we've had
Wait Staff: indifferent and un-inspired

We came here for dinner and ordered lamb saag, chicken tikka masala and a couple of other dishes. The tikka masala looked and tasted exactly like small square pieces of chicken in tomato soup - it really did. The lamb saag looked like the cook warmed frozen cream of spinach and added a few small pieces of lamb to it AND it tasted that way too. The other couple of entrees we had were the same in appearance and tasted as though it lacked Indian spices. The small glass bowls the entrees were served in didn't hold heat and our food went cold fast.
The mango lassi, we thought, did not have any yogurt it in and tasted like plain mango juice.
The papadoms were nice, though.

Lastly, a restaurant employee's toddler sat screaming by the front desk through out our dinner.
We would gladly pay for a great dining experience but paying close to $50 for this awful meal was truly a sad experience.

• Visited November 2012
1 Thank D p
Centerville, UT
“Great Indian Lunch Buffet”
Reviewed May 21, 2012

We've been to Ganesh many times and it remains our favorite Indian buffet in the Salt Lake area (much better, to my mind, than the more expensive Himalayan Kitchen downtown). We like the buffet because the dishes vary considerably day to day and most of the options are delicious. (They always have a naan and pakora and a great chicken tikka masala, but the other buffet options can vary considerably day to day.) Typically quite a variety of good vegetarian options. I don't get the sense that this is uber-fancy Indian food, but more like great home-cooking. It may not be kosher, but I like to scoop a bunch of the pakora onto my plate and ladle the masala (or similar) over the top. Don't knock it til you try it because it's awe-some.

This is a strip-mall store, and one shouldn't go there for the service or the atmosphere (recently downgraded, to my mind, by the addition of two large screen T.V.'s showing an endless procession of sensual poor-guy-seduces-rich-girl Indian music videos). But remember: that's not why one goes there ...

• Visited April 2012
Salt Lake City, Utah, United States
“Pretty sub-par”
Reviewed March 22, 2012

Was just there last Friday. My girlfriend and I love Indian food and have been to India House, Tandoor Grill, Bombay House and Himalayan a number of times. When we first walked in we noticed a strong odor, which slightly resembled urine, though it obviously wasn't. And I'm not talking about a spice smell but something between a strong ammonia/urine smell. And this isn't just me being overly sensitive about the restaurants where I eat. We had free popadoms with chutney which was nice, but the three waiters who were there didn't even show up to our table for ten minutes, literally. And then they didn't come back with drinks or appetizers for another 15 minutes. I know this because my girlfriend had to leave by 8 and she kept checking her cell phone. The other thing missing was the ability of the waiters to come back periodically and check if everything was ok, ask for refills also, which they didn't. The waiters were nice enough just no organization to their waitering. We ordered channa masala and saag paneer. The paneer was great, however the channa masala looked and tasted like the first time I would try to make it myself. It had a very weak watery taste and texture unlike I've ever had before, even from frozen store bought Indian meals such as Tandoor Chef's, which is quite good. Not sure if channa masala usually has tomato paste to get its dark red rich sauce but the 'spaghetti sauce' color and richness was absent from it here. Also, dishes were served in basic bowls so the food was cold after our first portions. Overall a disappointment but might try their lunch buffet in a while if I'm in the area again. Oh yeah, bathroom had no paper towels in there, walls were dirty and it was like sitting in an outhouse, very cold.

Visited February 2012

Been to Ganesh Indian Cuisine? Share your experiences!