“Quaint, quiet and quite lovely!”
Review of Hat Rock Inn

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Mexican Hat
Hat Rock Inn
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Mexican Hat
Reviewed June 15, 2014

We stayed for 2 nights here as we had booked in to take a Navajo tour in Monument Valley and wanted to be fairly close to the area. The rooms are beautifully simple and rustically decorated but with great amenities such as a huge bed, fridge, microwave, coffee maker, large TV and a nice size bath with over shower.
Seeing other reviews, we booked a room at the back with a view over the San Juan river which was lovely but dragging our cases up a flight of stairs wasn't fun in the heat so if you have problems lifting, ask for a ground floor room!
Such a ridiculously small "town" but so lovely to get away from it all and see a great night sky without light pollution.

Room Tip: Go for a back room for the river view but it is within a few yards walking distance anyway!
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank DawnLez

Reviewed June 10, 2014

Rooms are large and comfortable. Bathroom all new and lots of hot water, beds very comfortable, enough light. Out room had both coffee maker and microwave - BUT no hair dryer and no telephone. ALso, if you like bar soap please bring your own.
It;s a shame they haven't done these little things when they got the big things right.

One big thing is that the wi-fi service was terrible.

Rooms do not include breakfast but they own a cafe next door (which has a way to go to get to the quality of the motel --- food was not good, atmosphere is dark and depressing, coffee is weak.)

Room Tip: If you want a quiet room ask for one which does not face to road.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Ready2Go2008
Reviewed June 7, 2014

To be honest we wanted to stay at the View Hotel in Monument Valley but it was booked out weeks or months in advance. After reading all the reviews we decided it was worth the trip north to stay at this motel. All motels in this area are expensive due to their remoteness but I absolutely recommend a visit to Monument Valley. We arrived late at night and left early in the morning to take a Navajo-guided tour of the monuments, so I don't know anything about the town of Mexican Hat I'm afraid. The motel room was very nice though - I remember we had trouble working out how to change the bath to shower setting (it was different to every other place we stayed). The room was nicely appointed and the beds were comfortable. And driving to Monument Valley in the morning we got to stop and take a photo of the scene in Forrest Gump. Would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: It is important to ask for a room facing the back if you want the view of the river in the morning...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Jane10101
Reviewed June 7, 2014

After researching many choices for overnight lodging for Monument Valley, including Kayenta, I chose the Hat Rock Inn. I was very happy with my choice.

The price is a bit high ($153), but compared to prices at The View or even for a not so great property in Kayenta, I felt that the Hat Rock Inn was the best choice. The town of Mexican Hat is tiny, but I found it charming. We had a late check-in (about 11 p.m. or so) and called and let the hotel staff know this. This is a family run property and they did not have an overnight staff at the desk but were available via telephone and for emergencies. Our key was in a lock-box, and when I called to get the code, the woman who assisted me was very friendly.

If you reserve your room through the hotel's web site, you can select your room number. I highly recommend a second floor room facing the San Juan River (this is also "in the back"). You can park in the back, but if you are on the second floor, you have to bring your luggage upstairs. Even though we arrived at night, I could tell that the location was magical. Looking over the stars at the San Juan River, they looked close enough to touch. I am from a light polluted area, and to see the stars in true darkness is inspiring. There are chairs on the large hall in front of the rooms, creating de facto balconies. I rarely end up relaxing during my vacations and tend to be more of an on the go type, but I actually regret no having time to sit out and take in the San Juan River.

The room itself was larger than expected. I liked the warm desert tones that covered the wall, and the furniture and bedding is fine. The shower is a bit tricky to turn on. There is a diagram in the binder in the room- take a moment to read it. The hotel staff will come in and turn it on for you, but as they point out, be prepared for them to visit! There was a refridgerator, microwave, a flat screen TV, and nice bedding in the room. The new green pool seemed intriguing, but we did not have time to visit.

You are given a physical room key, so you have to go to the office to check out. I found that procedure fine and quick. The lobby had a nice gathering area with a computer to use. We were given a password in our room for the wi-fi, but the password was outdated, and we were never able to log-in from our room. Miracously, our 3G worked out there.

There are a few small towns that I've come across in my travels that I just felt an affinity for- Bryson City, North Carolina is one of them, and Mexican Hat with the Hat Rock Inn was another. I don't know when my travels will take me back their way, but I hope that that day comes.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Mary_Frances_From_TN
Reviewed June 7, 2014

Expensive but Still Nice. Clean, comfortable, quiet, appliances all worked as expected. Convenient to other businesses in town. Stayed 2 nights & have no complaint or even suggestion for improvement. Pool & pool area are really attractive.

Room Tip: Rooms on the back are closer to the pool & ice machine, probably even quieter than the front &am...
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Lester S
Reviewed June 5, 2014

We had booked to stay here, to visit Monument Valley, it was a very nice choice. We liked the ambience of the place, very rustic and quaint. We are from New Zealand, and loved the evening meal at the " Swinging Steak" Bar B Q, an experience not to be missed !
Our visit was in May 2011, not as below.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Paul D
Reviewed May 26, 2014

This hotel is located next to the San Juan river, with excellent views of the river and the surrounding red rocks. There is a small seating area overlooking the river with a fire ring. Room was clean and comfortable and the new pool with hot tub was a welcome surprise.

I notice others complaining about the price, but my opinion is this: it takes a lot to build/maintain/supply a hotel in the middle of nowhere. I was glad to pay the price for the seclusion, location, amenities and scenery.

Room Tip: There is no elevator, so keep in mind that you'll have to haul your bags up the stairs if you ge...
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
Willow Street Cottages
San Juan Inn
San Juan Inn
#2 of 2 in Mexican Hat

Been to Hat Rock Inn? Share your experiences!