“Great spot but watch the waiter”
Review of San Juan Inn

San Juan Inn
Ranked #2 of 2 Mexican Hat B&B and Inns
Sydney
“Great spot but watch the waiter”
Reviewed June 24, 2013

I was looking for accommodation in this fairly remote area having travelled through Arizona via Monument Valley and suddenly a beautiful spot on the river with greenery appeared. Welcoming woman at the desk; given a basic but very edequate room with opportunity to sit by the river. All so good; very relaxed.
Went to the restaurant feeling really good but met by the waiter who was so unwelcoming. Wanted a chat with a beer but was told off because I had not sat down !!! After sitting down and having my beer I was asked, "Are you finally ready to eat ?" The atmosphere was very frosty and my meal was not enjoyed. I gave a tiny appropriate tip and was met with a tirade of abuse.

So, a great spot but watch out for the abusive waiter !

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
4 Thank Michael W

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 12, 2013

We chose the San Juan Inn for its location 20 minutes from Monument Valley, staying in late May 2013. Located on the main highway, it's one of only two accommodation options in Mexican Hat which is a little limiting. Check in is at the complex's shop, which is a little unclear, but it was very simple and we were quickly given keys to our room, albeit by rather surly staff. We had a double queen room on the first floor, which was simply decorated but clean. The bathroom was equally clean, with a strong shower and plenty of towels, which were much appreciated after a dusty day of hiking! Mexican Hat does not have many dining options, so we ended up eating at the San Juan diner on the same site and clearly co-owned. This was terribly overpriced and not great quality food but there was only one alternative (a steak place, which was even poorer value). Overall, this was not the best value place on our trip, with no breakfast included it really was expensive, but then again Monument Valley and its surrounds really has very few choices, so you sort of have to accept it.

1 Thank JessKenny86
Kent
Reviewed June 10, 2013

Booked due to its location to monument valley - we could have actually pressed on to our next stop, but this place allowed us to have a break from driving.
The hotel is reasonable, better than I expected.
The diner had a good choice and was reasonably priced.
Beds where comfy and room was clean – couldn’t ask for much else

1 Thank 7179
Basingstoke, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 10, 2013

Following a long but simply superb day driving to and through monument valley we found this hotel fairly late in the evening at about 9pm having been turned away by several others that were full. They had a room left which we booked. Tired and hungry we went to the grill bar on site where after being ignored by the bar staff for 10 minutes were told that they were closing. During the 10 minutes we witnessed another customer complaining that her bag had been stolen from the grill bar. We decided to go up the hill to a BBQ bar which was excellent. Wehn we returned we were kept awake to the early hours by the noisy group in the dining area. They eventually went and we managed to fall asleep only to be woken at 2am by the smoke alarm which then proceeded to beep loudly every 15 mins. I went to the office to inform staff but it was closed. In the morning I went to the office having had no sleep. When I told the girl on the desk she seeemed not to care and offered no appology. I asked to see the manager. She didn't care either and told me it was my fault for not reporting it. When I told her I was tired from no sleep she actually laughed at me. Apparently there's a a number for the night office written in the room handbook. There was no rrom handbook in our room and when I asked where it was kept she ignored me. I was told that it was all my fault not theirs. She eventually gave me a reluctant 20% discount. Worst hotel we stayed in out of all 26 hotels we stayed in accross the US. Strongly suggest you keep driving past this place.

Room Tip: Rooms in other hotels are better.
2 Thank Richard9383

Travelers are raving about these Mexican Hat hotels

Maldon, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 28, 2013

Good value, clean hotel in an amazing location right on the San Juan river. Breakfast not included but there's a good grill onsite. Quite a good shop also, which was useful for buying the very necessary sun hat that we'd forgotten to pack!
Very close to both Monument Valley and Valley of the Gods. The real "Western" experience.

Room Tip: Arrive in time to eat in the grill. Last orders 8.30pm. Remember it's an hour ahead of Arizona...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Maldontraveller57
Salt Lake City, Utah
Reviewed May 26, 2013

This is my third stay in three months. The staff is friendly enough, but not outgoing. The restaurant staff continues to be awesome and the food is great. The hotel wifi is perhaps the worst of any hotel that I've ever used. Ever. It disconnected me three times while writing this paragraph. Otherwise,the place is (now disconnected four times in about ten minutes), well, average. The price isn't bad for tourist season in southern Utah. Try the Stone Lizard in Blanding for a better rate, newer interior with an old exterior, friendlier hosts and much better wifi.

The river view is wonderful on a hot summer evening.

Just knocked off the Internet again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank K W
San Francisco
Reviewed May 14, 2013

We had doubts about staying in a yurt overnight instead of one of their hotel rooms, but we were thrilled to enter a very large yurt with all the conveniences imaginable, including a skylight looking up to the night sky and sleeping for FOUR, although we only needed one bed. We will henceforth always choose a yurt anywhere they're available over a boring hotel room.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Mexican Hat
#1 of 1 in Lake Powell
La Posada Pintada
La Posada Pintada
#1 of 1 in Bluff

Been to San Juan Inn? Share your experiences!