“Basic, clean, expensive”

Ranked #2 of 2 Mexican Hat B&B and Inns
Surgeres, France
“Basic, clean, expensive”
Reviewed May 10, 2013

Our guide book stated this place had basic clean rooms and were the best in town. Pretty accurate and really I think best of a bad bunch. The building must have been built with ecology in mind to reduce building materials which accounts for the poor noise insulation. I was woken up by guests arriving at 11pm driving past my room on the ground floor then running showers or baths above. If you're a light sleeper (like me) you can be assured to be woken by pilgrims to the sunrise over Monument Valley at 6am. Apart from this and not getting the wifi to work (reception advise buying a coffee at the cafe opposite to use their wifi) and the ice box being padlocked, and the room rate being a little shy of the Holiday Inn at Chinle it was fine. Would I stay here again - never. The best bit about mexican hat is the rock on the way in and the bridge on the way out.

Room Tip: Try Kayenta
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
  • Polish first
Maricopa, Arizona
Reviewed May 4, 2013

This funky, friendly motel is on a Cliffside above the San Juan River, just north of Monument Valley AZ/UT. Nice restaurant for dinner/breakfast, tables and chairs overlooking the river, friendly staff, and helpful general store with basics including beer, eggs, ice cream, and more. Much less expensive than the hotels inside Monument Valley. We'll stay there again. And if you want a fancier dinner, head 20 miles south to The View Hotel in Monument Valley.

Room Tip: No elevator, so ask for a ground floor room -- unless you want a view of the river from the top floo...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
South Pasadena, California
Reviewed April 27, 2013

We stayed here because of a previously great experience staying in the Big Yurt (see other reviews) but were somewhat disappointed. The room was clean, but no frige or micro and you had to walk to the bar for ice.

The internet connection was poor. It kept timing out and finally locked me out. I had to get a new password and fortunately the front desk was still open - closes at 9:00 pm.

The location on the banks of the river is awesome! You can take the trail down to the water and there are table and chairs distributed all around the top of the cliff - really nice.

Overall, just so-so even though I really wanted to like this place given the positive experience in the Yurt. Oh well..

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Moab, Utah, USA
Reviewed March 12, 2013

I spent the night there on my way to a Motorcycle ,Silverado photo shoot in Monument Valley. I have been here before on other movie jobs and like always nice rooms clean and the food good close to Monument valley 25 mins and always a great ride to and from there with rental Road bikes from Moabadv.com

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank jim R
Dallas
Reviewed December 9, 2012

I was on a motorcycle trip. After visiting a friend in Durango and headed home to the Dallas area I took the senic route via SE Utah, Arches, The Mokie Dugway, MV and headed towards Kayenta, AZ. I did not like the idea of staying in Kayenta. I had been there and was not impressed plus the reviews of the very few places to stay did not sound good. I was tired and wanted to stop early. Bam, as I was crossing the San Juan River I caught this Inn out of the corner of my eye. It did not really look impressive. I thought about it as I hit the other side of the bridge and turned around knowing I would not stay. I asked to see the room. It was old, small, clean, and very cozy looking with an excellent view. I took it. Great choice. It is Native American owned. The people I dealt with were very nice. I ate at the cafe next to it. The service, food, and view were very good. I sat outside by the river until after sunset just enjoying the peace and quiet. When I return to Monument Valley with my wife I plan to stay there one night. The shower was good but very small.

Room Tip: Some of the time it pays to stay in a non big name. Always check the room before paying. One proba...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank leroys73
Ellicott City, Maryland
Reviewed December 4, 2012

We had to check in at the hotel in town (looked kinda depressing), but they directed us about a mile away, on the road leaving town, to the little "yurt community" affiliated with the hotel. What a wonderful ittle find this was! There are two small yurts -- intended for 1-2 people -- and one large yurt, with bedding for 4-6 people. Although there were just 2 of us, we reserved the large yurt (I think it was $10 more per night), and it was a GREAT place to stay! We had a little refrigerator and microwave so we could make our own breakfasts. We had a small porch with chairs and table outside, where we sat at night and looked at the stars (amazing site for these city slickers who are used to lots of ambient light at night). We could actually see the Mexican Hat rock formation from our yurt's porch, and we ended up sharing supper one evening with our neighbors from one of the smaller yurts. It was just that kind of a place...

Room Tip: Stay in one of the yurts, and consider getting the large yurt, even for 2 people. It is much bigger...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank GroversMom
Palatine, Illinois
Reviewed November 20, 2012

This is located at very nice place ... just beside the river. The location is excellent but service is average. Its good for one night stay and not more. rooms are small and not at all comfortable but if you prefer location over the room then go for it.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
#1 of 1 in Bluff
Mokee Motel
Mokee Motel
#1 of 4 in Bluff

Been to San Juan Inn? Share your experiences!