“An Old Fashioned Soda Fountain”

Bluebird Restaurant
Ranked #19 of 139 Restaurants in Logan
Cuisines: American, Diner
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Tucson, Arizona
“An Old Fashioned Soda Fountain”
Reviewed July 22, 2013

We stopped once for ice cream and saw so many people having dinners that we came back. The hostess tried to seat us in a back corner at a table for six right at the swinging door to the kitchen. We requested one of the empty tables towards the front. She wasn't happy but accommodated us. We were served the freshly baked rolls and waters as soon as we were seated. Our waitress told us about the specials and we decided on the grilled fish. The entrees are served with soup or salad, vegetable of the day and a choice of potato. Sounds good - but the salad is out of a bag; the soup was over salted; the main course presentation was a small portion of zucchini with a piece of carrot, baked potatoes that came out of the microwave, and a nice size portion of grilled fish. One of the potatoes was not quite cooked through. Our server was appropriately attentive. The food is filling and inexpensive which may explain why so many eat there. This is an old fashioned ice cream parlor that dates back to 1914 or so. Original marble soda fountain; probably original chairs and tables, original tile floor, etc. Worth a visit to see it. Go for the ice cream specialties not the dinner or lunch unless you are on a tight budget. The ice cream was very nice and it was fun seeing it.

• Visited July 2013

Logan, Utah
“So Very Not Good...”
Reviewed July 13, 2013

I've never given a TA review lower than 3 stars, but this one just had to be less. We decided to try this restaurant (we're Logan locals) since it's such a historic business in our town. Upon entering, I hoped we would be seated in the antique front half of the business, with the beautiful woodwork and grand staircase, but unfortunately the sour-faced hostess sat us in a sketchy add-on room in the bowels of the building that smelled like a high school cafeteria, next to a mural of the Great Depression. The fluorescent lights baked down on us as we stared at the laminated paper menus, which featured foods that were probably popular when the restaurant opened in 1912. If you are not feeling like eating heavy, particularly items like ground steak, prime rib, fried shrimp, chicken parm, this is not the place to go.

Our waiter (who seemed overwhelmed and exhausted, and having worked in restaurants before, I know he probably was) said the soup du jour was french onion. I ordered it, and it came to me a cup of broth that tasted little different from water, with regular white onions, not sweet and definitely not caramelized, and a mass of semi-melted cheese not on top, but sunk down at the very bottom. As for the croutons, they ran out, and the waiter informed us that my boyfriend (who also ordered the soup) and I would have to fight over the one crouton they had. However, when the food came, another person in our party found her salad dressed with a handful of the very same croutons...

I ordered the pork tenderloin special. I am pretty sure it was just pork dipped in bread crumbs. It tasted so ordinary, so very much like something I could make at home in under 15 minutes, that I was astounded that it was about $13. Overall, rather disappointing. The only folks who enjoy this restaurant must have been there when it opened. On a side note, however, I have had their chocolates from their candy factory, and they are very good quality.

• Visited July 2013
2 Thank CamilleInTheWoods
Clearfield, Utah
“Great Place to Dine in Cache Valley”
Reviewed July 3, 2013

We love spending a few hours in Logan so we can eat at the blue bird. It's a restaurant from days on past, complete with Soda Jerk and Candy Counter. I always get whatever is on special so I will be surprised. Their home-made rolls are very tasty as is anything my wife or I have eaten here. It's a great place to dine in Cache Valley

• Visited May 2013
Provo, Utah
“Good start, terrible ending.”
Reviewed July 3, 2013

I've been meaning to write this review some time now, but my mobile app was not working. So, to come here now to post the review, several weeks later, you know I must have been really disappointed.
When we walked into the restaurant we were really excited. This place looks great! It really looks like something you could imagine your grandparents going to.The atmosphere just looks fun. The bread and soup that we started with was really good and that made us excited about the food. Then, as we were waiting for the main course, the hostess comes over to our table to sit someone next to us, plops the water pitcher down on our table spilling some on me, takes a chair from our table and then carries on with her business. We finally get our food and my meal is cold, undercooked and without seasoning. It was so gross that I couldn't even make myself eat more than about 2 bites. My husbands dish, though completely different, was also cold and without seasoning.
THEN! We get up front to pay for the dissatisfying food and the cashier acts like we are a nuisance and was not friendly in the slightest bit.
The candy is pretty pricey...
We have no plans to ever go back.

• Visited May 2013
“Great for dessert and candy”
Reviewed June 25, 2013

We walked from dinner to the Bluebird for dessert. Sit at the counter and have a hand-scooped sundae made to order. What a throw back and some fun for the kids to see. Or pick from some of the wonderful candies.

Visited June 2013