“Great Marriott , but it still needs work”

SpringHill Suites Logan
Ranked #4 of 11 Hotels in Logan
Knoxville, Tennessee
“Great Marriott , but it still needs work”
Reviewed August 17, 2009

I agree with what others have written about this new hotel. I did speak to managment before we left and was told they are working with the staff. This hotel has been open for about 4 months now. The rooms have a Zen feel to them with the arrangement, the sliding doors. There are 2 rooms separated by a wall with an open top. The TV sits between the 2 rooms. Comfortable bed. Microwave, refrig. My complaint was that the room had finger prints all over the door and dresser top. There was also a lot of dust in the room on theTV table, the bar area I don't think has ever been wiped down. I wiped off the door and dresser with a wash cloth and was OK with it, but seeing as this is a Marriott I think we all expect a better job from the staff.

A convention area is connected to the hotel with a beautiful out side area near the Logan River.

There is a restaurant attached to this hotel ,Elements, which is excellent. I was told this hotel with eventually be a full service one with room service. I hope they will get the staff trained and bring this up to the #1 hotel in Logan.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Mariposa, California
Reviewed August 16, 2009

Gorgeous new hotel, nicely appointed and designed. Room was very comfortable and the bed was a dream. Very clean, richly decorated rooms with a separate sitting area, large flat-screen TV, microwave & refrigerator.. Big shower and sink in a separate area from the toilet. Great design! Staff was very helpful and polite. Small indoor pool & gym facility was getting a lot of use, and kids seemed to be enjoying themselves. Would have been absolutely perfect except for a few issues, some they can fix:

The room was surprisingly noisy - loud inadequate ventilation fans and an air conditioner that belonged in a one-star hotel, when combined with the noise from the highway and the guests upstairs, it was a but too much.

They have free wifi - and supposedly Ethernet - but the Ethernet never worked.

The "hot breakfast" was well intentioned but inadequately staffed and stocked (perhaps the first creates the later). In three visits to the breakfast options, they were out of most items, with a surly crowd pouncing on the single hard working employee who would show up with something every so often. Piles of dirty plates and breakfast leftovers near the garbage cans left a very bad impression. Clearly not taking it seriously, as the same issues were apparent each day.

A few other annoyances - cheap, cheap toilet paper, and no towel racks.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
North Salt Lake, Utah
Reviewed July 31, 2009

I was very excited when the Springhill Suites opened in Logan because I have stayed at Springhill in other locaitons and been very satisfied, but the hotel in Logan has some definite problems, probably stemming from poor management and training programs.

Check-in went smoothly and my first impression of the lobby was positive. The hotel room was nicely laid out, if a little crowded at the foot of the bed, but overall first appearances were as expected. The first issue came up when we realized we needed a bottle opener. Since Springhill Suites have little kitchens, you might expect that one was available. Not finding one in the room, I called the front desk and was treated flippantly by the person answering the phone, as if I was out of order in requesting a bottle opener. No apology, no attempt to make the customer happy. The attitude bothered me even more than the lack of the bottle opener.

Iin the middle of the night when I went to the bathroom, closed the sliding door and turned out the light. Because of the glass insert in the sliding door, which looks very modern by day, the entire room was illuminated, and my husband woke up. That's just poor hotel design.

When I took a shower in the morning, I couldn't decide whether the contractor had made a poor choice in shower material or whether the shower was filthy. Finally we decided that the shower floor was never truely cleaned after construction, resulting in an icky-looking shower pan.

When we went down for breakfast, the disappointment continued. I had an early meeting so I arrived before breakfast was entirely set up. Nevertheless, I couldn't find a clean table in the entire breakfast area. How could they already be dirty at 6:30 a.m. unless they had never been cleaned the previous day? While waiting for the breakfast set-up, I went to the bathroom to find an overflowing waste-basket, again at 6:30 in the morning. As I looked over the lobby, I couldn't believe how dirty and shabby the furniture was already looking since the hotel is very new. The overall impression was the cheap furnishings had been purchased and they won't stand up to the heavy use of a hotel.

If the hotel wasn't a Marriott, and if the rooms weren't rated at Marriott prices, some of these annoyances could be overlooked. But honestly, Marriott should mean something, and as a Marriott rewards participant, I have come to expect better. There aren't a lot of choices in Logan, but without some changes in management at this location, Springill Suites will never rise to the top of Logan hotels. Pitty...the location is great and Logan is a wonderful city.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank diinslc
utah
Reviewed July 6, 2009

I am not sure why this hotel is not ranked #1 in Logan on Tripadvisor. I have stayed at most of the hotels in Logan and this one is clearly the nicest. I am not sure why there was a bad review, the service here was wonderful, maybe it was because the hotel just opened and the traveler did not communicate with the front desk. The hotel is so nice it was like going to a big city luxery hotel. We only stayed one night and wished we could stay a week.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank utahrunnermom
Wisconsin
Reviewed April 29, 2009

This is a brand new hotel with spacious, clean rooms. We were treated wonderfully by every staff member we encountered. The rooms are large and comfortable, with micro wave oven, mini-fridge, and large flat screen TV. A partial wall separates the bedroom from the living area. There are two sinks, including a small one in a separate toilet area. Our room did not have a tub, but we prefer a shower anyway. The complementary breakfast was better than most, and included waffles, eggs, sausage, and hot oatmeal (not out of a packet). The breakfast lounge is very inviting. The pool area is not huge but is very nice, and there is also a nice fitness room.

There is some construction underway, but it didn't bother us at all. We would stay at this hotel again without hesitation.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Traveler3933
Logan, Utah
Reviewed March 31, 2009

We checked in on Saturday for a one night stay. In my online reservation I asked that our room be ready by 5 (normal check in is at 3 may I remind you) because we needed to shower after our trip and we had dinner plans at 7pm. We got to the hotel around 5:30 an the front desk told us that our room wasn't ready and wouldn't be for another hour. What kind of service is that? We came back at 6:30 and still had to wait 15 minuted in the lobby before they finished cleaning our room. We were late for our dinner appointment and my wife was very displeased with the service at this hotel. The room was beautiful but I will probably recommend the Holiday Inn Express to anyone who wants to stay in Logan. Very dissappointed with our experience at "THIS" Marriott. The room still had a little construction dust in the window seals too.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple