“SLOW... ok food”

Gabor Brothers Main Street Grill
Ranked #3 of 184 Restaurants in Layton
Cuisines: Italian
Reviewed June 14, 2013

This place has about 10 tables. 5 were filled when we arrived and we still had to wait 15 minutes to be seated. Then we waited over an hour for food. People who came in after us ate and left before we got our meal. Pizza, lasagna and spaghetti shouldn't take an hour. 3 wait staff should be able to get drinks serve food etc... way better than they do. Portions are large, food is ok. There may have been a time this place rocked but I would definitely suggest passing it up for other options in the area.

There are newer reviews for Gabor Brothers Main Street Grill

Reviewed June 1, 2013

My first experience at Gabor's was ordering the spaghetti and meatball meal. Yes, I do mean meatball and not meatballs. When my meal arrived it was a softball size meatball on spaghetti. Before the main meal, there was the Italian bread sticks and huge salad. There is no way you can finish the meal. The food is delicious. I will caution you that it doesn't matter what night you go, the place is always busy. Also, bring a light jacket because it get's pretty chilly in the summer when they run their air conditioning.

Reviewed April 18, 2013

Most people (including locals) have never heard of Gabor Brothers even though they drive past it every day on Main Street and see the weird greenish mannequin that looks like it belongs at a haunted house attraction.

This small restaurant towards the south end of town only has about 7 or 8 tables/booths and a small counter with a few barstools. It has a very eclectic decor with forks, spoons, and knives hanging from the ceiling.

We visited on a Tuesday evening shortly before 7pm and were fortunate enough to get the only open table left. We waited about 15 minutes before a waiter came and brought us water and menus. It was another 30 minutes after we ordered before we received our entrees. Some in the party got the salad or soup which they said was delicious. I wish I had ordered an appetizer because my stomach was grumbling by the time my food came (almost an hour after being seated).

The food was amazing with HUGE portions. I have a hearty appetite but there was no way I was finishing my italian sauage and articoke calzone. My wife ordered the Philly Cheesesteak sub that was easily 16 inches long.

Everyone was very impressed with the food but did feel the service was lacking a bit.

Reviewed April 13, 2013

Gabor's is one of my family's very favorite dining spots - even if we just get our food "to go". Chris and his brothers have a way with linguine and clams, pizza, alfredo . . . everything is delicious and just like Mama's! The mussels are a favorite, as well as the bread sticks. The side salad that comes with dinner is artfully and deliciously assembled. Friendly staff and the food will keep you coming back for years!

Reviewed March 3, 2013

I have never had a bad meal here, ever. Every thing here is great; soups, pasta, sandwiches, salads, pizza, and especially the calzones. The calzones are fantastic. They are stuffed with mozzarella and ricotta cheese, plus meats and veggies of your choice, and are served with marinara sauce. They are delicious and very, very big.
I asked one of the waitresses if anybody ever really finishes a calzone. She told me that she has never seen it happen. People invariably take about half of it home with them. The calzone looks a little bit expensive, around $13-14, but when you figure this is really two meals worth of food, the price is actually quite reasonable. Even taking half of your calzone home in a box with you, you still walk out of the restaurant feeling pretty full.
If I'm not feeling super hungry sometime I'll just order the soup. You get a very large bowl of Zuppa Toscana. The soup is delicious. It's a cream based soup with potatoes, Italian sausage, and spinach. It's spiced just right and very tasty. It comes with a breadstick, handmade and served fresh from the oven. The breadstick is about 12-14 inches long and is hand-twisted, buttered, and seasoned perfectly with a hint of herbs and Parmesan cheese.
The restaurant itself is very, very small, so it's best to get there a little bit early or you'll have to wait a long time for a table. It also has rather limited parking, and looks a little bit sketchy from the outside, but don't let any of that deter you. It is definitely worth the visit.

1  Thank really_been_there