“Choose another Hotel”

Hilton Garden Inn Salt Lake City/Layton
Ranked #3 of 11 Hotels in Layton
Reviewed August 25, 2010

I stayed in the HGI since my normal hotel was booked. I only stayed one night. Member below said it best "This is a socks on" environment. Far from clean and doesn't meet the reputation.

Fahrenheit lounge was expensive and staffed with a very slow and apathetic waitress, she seemed more interested in the groupies than the patrons. They had live music as advertised but he took some very long breaks. He was also pre-occupied. Won't be going back.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled on business
There are newer reviews for Hilton Garden Inn Salt Lake City/Layton

Reviewed August 7, 2010

This hotel seems to be the opposite of the PR campaign that suggests that business performers choose HGI, sleep well and are ready for the day ahead.
Well, when tomorrows a big day, stay away from HGI Layton.
By the early hours of day three, I had a nasty migraine.

I arrived to a noisy environment, with live entertainment in the adjoining "Fahrenheit" night club just below my room, some "pub singer" was butchering an REM song, no lights were on in the room and the thermostat was set at 60.
There were large stains on the carpet - this is a "socks on" environment. I felt the need to check the beds for insects, in part because of the general impression that the room looked like it had about ten years of hard use.
Found a big brown stain on the mattress of one of the double beds. The mattress slip covers do not fit properly - this is pretty unhygienic and a good way to allow insects to make it home.
The housekeeping staff are fairly inconsiderate of the guests, engaging in very loud conversations, yelling to one another in Spanish down the hallway before 9am - I work unusual hours and the sign hung on several doors didn't help keep the noise down.

There were hairs in/on almost all of the towels, the shampoo, conditioner and mouthwash were slimy, I didn't get the impression they were unhandled and used my spares.

The design of the building is the most inconvenient HGI layout I've encountered, with the "side door" being near the front door and all available parking being down a flight of stairs around the side of the building (with no door around there).

I still had to provide photo ID and credit card, despite "zip checkin" and Diamond/130+ nights I spend with Hilton each year.

If I could make a positive recommendation to this franchise, it would be to charge more per night and refurbish the place, possibly do some remodeling to the building, but definitely upgrade the rooms, so they don't have the look and feel of a Days Inn, or rural Best western.
I think this property should only be considered if you're attending a conference in the adjoining property and the gathering is doubling as a social occasion, otherwise, you have chosen poorly.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed June 14, 2010

Hotel seems new and in very good condition. Service was very good. They do have a loud bar/club on the ground floor so you need to make sure your room is not above it.

Our room was near equipment on the roof and it rattled at night. Noise would pulse up and down - not a steady drone. Too full to move rooms.

Stayed: June 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed May 8, 2010

This was the first real experience I had in Salt Lake City. I stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn during the month of January and it was wonderful! The staff was courteous and extremely helpful. They steered me in the right directions for skiing as well as dining. They took the time to get to know me as a client. Each morning, Amy and Stephanie were prepared at breakfast and readily provided me coffee the way I like it! Antoine prepared wonderful eggs benedict to order! Each day I arrived, the friendly staff welcomed me with a smile and fresh cookies at the desk. This was truly a first class experience!

The location was within 30 minutes of three different ski resorts and numerous dinner and lunch choices! Ideal for my situation.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed April 15, 2010

I expected more from a Hilton Garden Inn...especially with a Hampton just around the corner. I'll try the Hampton next time. Positives - nice fitness center, lots of restaurants within walking distance, big rooms. Negatives - this place is LOUD, echoey, mini fridge in room and movie service did not work. The fridge got fixed, but not being able to watch a movie was disappointing. There was nothing they could do about that until the next day, and I was checking out. Staff was polite and tried to be helpful, but there are too many other options in the area for me to go back here.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed September 3, 2009

The hotel looked nice, smelled nice, had REALLY nice people, and has great conference facilities. The other thing that it has is a bar that's a night club on Friday and Saturday nights.....directly under my hotel room. Even after at least 7 complaints, the hotel staff did nothing to turn the noise down, and of course there were no rooms available that night. Had I been in party mode, it would have been fine, but I was there on business and by the time the music stopped, I had been up for over 24 hours. They did move us the day after, but I will say that was a pretty horrible day!

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed June 2, 2009

I have never in my life seen a cleaner hotel. It was SPOTLESS! And every time I saw the maid she was industriously busy - even once cleaning baseboards!

Every contact I had with the staff at this hotel was amazing. They were always smiling (genuine smiles), always eager to help, always complimentary, and obviously knew what they were doing. Nor did I ever see anyone just sitting around.

The breakfast buffet was a particular boon. The food was like nothing I've ever seen at a hotel buffet - everything was fresh, high quality, prepared carefully, and presented beautifully. Wait staff kept every bit of the buffet scrupulously clean. They were perfect with their beverage service - being attentive, but not creepy and overly in our business.

The rooms were perfectly appointed. Beautiful, airy, and full of amenities. They were kept scrupulously clean.

The hotel had a bar, and unlike other places I could not hear the partying at all hours.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled on business