“Friendly staff, ok room”

Courtyard Salt Lake City Layton
Ranked #10 of 11 Hotels in Layton
Boise, Idaho
“Friendly staff, ok room”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2013

The staff were very friendly and great. My hotel room was ok, nothing really to rave about or complain too much about. I was glad that the curtains completely blocked out light, because my family needed a good night of sleep. We all slept well.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Amy35394
Monica F, Manager at Courtyard Salt Lake City Layton, responded to this review, August 27, 2013
Thank you for taking time out of your busy day to write a review on your stay with us. We are happy to hear that you and your family had a good night sleep. We have plans to renovate our rooms in the beginning of 2014 and we hope you come back to enjoy them after the renovations. Again thank you for the review and we hope to see you and your family again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Salem, Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2013

Check in was quick and the front desk clerk was courteous and welcoming. The room was clean and exceeded our expectations. It was so nice to put our kids to bed after swimming and come downstairs for a drink in the bistro. The property is a great location and close to shopping and restaurants. We would definitely stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Jennifer W
Thank you so much for your nice comments about your experience at our hotel. We take great pride in our hotel and service and it is very rewarding when we get comments like this. Again, thank you and we look forward to see you and your family next time you are in the Layton area.
Michigan, USA
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2013

We stayed here in July - for one night. The reason I rated the hotel low is because of something that occurred when I ordered a glass of wine from the bar. I ordered a Clos du Bois Chardonnay - the menu said it was available for $8 or $8.50 per glass - and something to eat. When the bartender went into the back room to pour my wine - I peeked back to tell him I would wait outside because it was chilly in the bar. It was then I saw him pouring the wine from a box. He brought it to me, and I said that I didn't think it was a chardonnay, let alone a Clos du Bois, because it was very light in color and doesn't come in a box. He assured me it was. I took a taste and said it absolutely was not. He then apologized and told me that his boss was cheap, and that they didn't have the wine I requested. When I pointed to a bottle in the cooler, he said that was just for show, and they couldn't use it! He then informed me he didn't think they ever had the wine I requested. Not having the wine wasn't such a big deal, but he charged me the $8/$8.50 for the glass, and the receipt said Clos du Bois. Apparently this was the normal course of business. I told him he could keep the wine, and didn't sign the receipt. I also said this was a fraudulent business practice, and put the entire establishment in a bad light.

The incident at the bar was too bad because the hotel itself was very nice - the room had a wonderful large balcony that overlooked the parking lot, but the mountains were readily visible beyond. Very pretty. There are shopping areas nearby, and some great restaurants. The front desk clerk was great in every way. When I told him about the bar incident, he was quite shocked, and promised to pass along my concerns to the GM. I never heard anything from anyone - though I believe I saw the manager the next morning.

Again, the rooms are great, the front desk is great....but the willfully defrauding customers should not be tolerated.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Monica F, Manager at Courtyard Salt Lake City Layton, responded to this review, August 6, 2013
Thank you for responding to Trip Advisor. Let me start by apologizing for the experience in our Bistro. I would like to explain where the confusion took place. Please know that serving boxed wine in place of a name brand bottled wine is not a practice at the Courtyard by Marriott. That wine is strictly used for caterings and cooking. Because of Utah law, we have to keep it stored in a locked cage, therefore they are stored together. I am sorry that we were out of the wine that you ordered that evening and that my associate failed to inform you of this so that you could make another choice. I will discuss this incident with him. While we do have a bottle in our display case, again by Utah law, we cannot open the case to use the bottles. They are considered display only once they are placed there. I would like to discuss this with you further and offer a personal apology if you have time to contact me. Please call me at 801-217-2300 ext 5013.

Thank you again for taking the time to respond. We utilize these reports for training purposes and take the experiences of our guests very seriously.

Have a wonderful day,

Cami Jo Keith
Food & Beverage Manager
Courtyard by Marriott Layton

Travelers are raving about these Layton hotels

Orangeville, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2013

The staff here were over the top accommodating. The front desk manager even gave me his personal cell number so that he could help with a question our group had. We'd definitely stay here again. The food was pricey but all hotel food was, and the breakfast when we could get it due to leaving too early in the morning a couple days on the weekend, was fine. Plenty of towels, hot water, and everything else was great.

The room needs to be arranged differently. I couldn't use the desk because the air conditioner was right behind the chair and thus too cold to work there. I had to sit on the couch to work on the coffee table and my lap.

Love the Cracker Barrell just off the back parking area and a couple other places that were really good could easily be walked to also.

Room Tip: Do ask which side of the building the room is on in case you want to open the window. There's th...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Monica F, General Manager at Courtyard Salt Lake City Layton, responded to this review, August 2, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to do a review on your stay at our hotel. We take great pride in our guest services. We are glad to hear that you had such a great stay with us. We are very lucky to be in an area that has plenty of food options for our guest. Our housekeeping and maintenance staff take great pride in making sure our rooms are in tip top shape for all our guest. Thank you for choosing us for your visit to the Salt Lake City area. We hope to welcome you back again soon!
Huntsville, AL
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2013

It is a pretty typical Courtyard in a good location. The in-house restaurant is not really worth the price, but there is a Cracker Barrel off the back parking lot that more than makes up for it. The staff is great. The rooms have a poor design element. In my room the computer work desk was right in front of the air conditioner. It was icy trying to type on my computer. Other than that, it was typical Marriott quality.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for taking time out of your day to write a review. We appreciate all feedback from our guest. We do our best to ensure all our guest have a nice stay with us. We are happy to hear that we are meeting your standards for a Marriott hotel. We take pride in having the Marriott name on our building. We hope to have you stay with us again next time you are in town. Again, thank you for your business and review.
Roseburg, Oregon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2013

I believe this hotel had the fastest check-in of any loding establishment I've ever stayed. It had to be under two minutes. The staff was friendly and accommodating. The room were very nice and clean. The quietest air conditioning unit I've ever heard.

There was a microwave, refrigerator, internet (gave you the password in your check-in packet, didn't even have to ask), and a very nice bathroom.

I met my traveling companions outside around a fire pit area for conversation and relaxation.

Several really good resturants were within walking distance of the hotel. Stayed only 1 night.

Was back on the road before the breakfast area opened so I'm unable to comment.

Room Tip: My room was on the freeway side but was very quiet.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Monica F, General Manager at Courtyard Salt Lake City Layton, responded to this review, July 8, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to do a review on your stay at our hotel. We take great pride in our guest services. I am glad to hear that you had such a great stay with us. Our housekeeping and maintenance staff take great pride in making sure our rooms are in tip top shape for all our guest.Thank you for choosing us for your visit to the Salt Lake City area. We hope to welcome you back again soon!
Denver, CO
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2013

I am a frequent Marriott guest and travel over 200 nights a year I just want to be honest here so other people can know in advance. If you are staying 1 night this hotel maybe fine for you. If you are there for several nights I can't recommend it.

When you walk into this hotel it has the normal Courtyard layout which is very nice for a hotel but it was very hot in the lobby and elevator and a UFC announcer (Joe Rogan!) was coming out of the speakers my entire stay, no music at all.

I have 3 criteria for a quality hotel:
1. Cleanliness
2. Bed Quality
3. Shower/Bathroom Functionality.

The Room was mostly clean, the carpet needs shampooing asap, the Bed was outstanding, as are most Courtyards these days. HOWEVER, the Shower/Bathroom Functionaly is the worst I have experienced in any brand hotel and especially a Marriott. Upon showering the water just barely gets to you out of the showerhead. I actually have a device to check that function and at best this hotel has 30psi and the industry standard is 40-60psi. I would never have expected this from a hotel in a metropolitan area. This was not just the shower but the sink as well. I was appalled at this and the time it took to take a normal shower increased two fold. My ranch, on a well, has better water pressure than this hotel! The toilet was lower than any other hotel I have been in and keeped running until i fixed the flapper. Being that this is one of my major criteria I contemplated leaving early but since I had paid in full I couldnt get a refund and checked into a hotel 3 miles away that was normal in all aspects.

A few other points why this hotel is not for a business traveler is the amount of kids running around the hotel, the WIFI was slower than any other place I have been, Iron was broken, Only hotel without plastic wrapped cups so the cups are washed daily but I am a germ freak and only prefer to drink out of a cup that was made in a factory.

The manager may respond to this review but I am being totally honest with years of staying in hotels under my belt.

Room Tip: With such low water pressure I would not stay in upper floors.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank COCompanyGuy
Monica F, Manager at Courtyard Salt Lake City Layton, responded to this review, May 15, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to give us feedback concerning your stay here with us at the Courtyard by Marriott Layton. I apologize for all the issues that you had encountered while staying here with us. We do take the utmost pride in ensuring that our guests leave our hotel completely satisfied. Therefore to see and hear that that wasn't the case is disappointing, thus why I'm responding to your review because we don't take these things lightly.
Pertaining to a lot of the issues that you had mentioned we have addressed many of those concerns with our whole staff. I'm not sure whether you had called the front desk about the broken iron or the kids running around, but I would be more than happy to go over some of the improvements and changes that have been made since then especially concerning the water pressure.
Please allow us another opportunity the next time you are in town to make it up to you. I will personally make sure that you have a different experience and leave completely satisfied.

Best Regards,