“Good design, good stay”

Home2 Suites By Hilton Salt Lake City/Layton, UT
Ranked #4 of 11 Hotels in Layton
Reviewed January 3, 2012

I stayed here twice over the holidays. the Home2 chain has clearly been designed carefully from the ground up to meet travelers' practical needs in a version of a 'boutique' hotel environment. For example, one of my pet peeves is absence of a high shelf for shampoo in the shower - solved neatly here. No bathtub, which also makes sense in this market segment. A fully stocked (utensils, dishes, glasses) kitchen with microwave and fridge is very handy. the TV is fine, and does have HBO. Breakfast has relatively limited choices, but the overall quality is good (my only quibble is no peanut butter) and healthy options abound. Both a mac and a pc in the lobby with printer - a nice touch. It's a very short haul from SLC airport. The overall design is clean and pleasing. Staff was very friendly and helpful on all shifts. I will be seeking out hotel and this chain in my future travels.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank airbowline
GabeGarn, General Manager at Home2 Suites By Hilton Salt Lake City/Layton, UT, responded to this reviewResponded January 11, 2012

Thank you for coming to stay twice with us. I am happy we got the chance to earn your loyalty during the Holiday season. You did a great job talking about our hotel and covering the things you loved about it. I am glad you found all of our staff to be friendly they were happy to read that also. Thank you for taking the time to write a review it means a lot and we hope to have you back next time you are in Layton.

There are newer reviews for Home2 Suites By Hilton Salt Lake City/Layton, UT

Reviewed December 8, 2011

Stayed a weekend with grandparents and little kids... so a little chaotic on our end. However the rooms were fantastic for what you actually need. Kitchen was prefect for leftovers and snacks at all hours, plus with all the shelves/storage, we weren't tripping on stuff. Room was clean, and the limited staff we encountered were smiling. Pool was sparkling clean, although that was one hot spa... felt above 104 degrees! Breakfast was fine, we like to make our own anyway... you just need to know that with an "extended" stay hotel, we didn't have maid service all weekend, but we also didn't need it. The room started out clean, and I can make my own bed.

There were a couple suggestions... while the breakfast bar is nice, it's in no way handicap accessible, too tall, and my Mom couldn't get in the chairs... she wouldn't go "sit" in the lobby couch because according to her, "you don't eat on a couch"... ahhh, if only she knew what her grand kids do. Also she had a hard time getting in the bed, too tall as well. Lastly, there was no mention on our reservation that the room was a shower only, no tub... again, if you're aging and expect a bath... but the shower worked fine... it was fiberglass, it should have been upgraded to tile like the rest of the room.

Lastly, the room window was small... if you're going for this design and expect the room to not feel like a tunnel, floor to ceiling would have changed the whole feeling of the room, and matched the modern decor. But for $10 more per night than the LaQuinta, this place rules. And was priced less than the Holiday Inn Express, All 3 Marriotts (Fairfeild, Courtyard, & TownePlace), Hampton Inn, Hilton Garden Inn, and Comfort Suites. Can't beat that.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
GabeGarn, General Manager at Home2 Suites By Hilton Salt Lake City/Layton, UT, responded to this reviewResponded December 13, 2011

Thank you so much for bringing your family to come stay with us. It sounds like you had a great trip with the family. The couches in our lobby are designed to double as a comfortable place to eat breakfast in the morning. Just don't tell your mother I said that. I love having the full kitchen even for short stays for the reasons you mentioned. It was a pleasure having you and your family here with us and we hope we get the chance to have you back real soon.

Reviewed November 29, 2011

Amazing place to stay for business expecially for long time (who can spend an holiday in Layton???).
Everything in this great new concept hotel by Hilton make you feel at home!
Large room, essential modern furnitures, kitchen fridge oven... and all the facilities you may need.
The same for the lobby, the small business center (with both apple and standard pc!) and breakfast area, all in the same open space.
Ask for a second floor room.
Highly recommended!

• Stayed: November 2011

Thank you for a great review I am glad we got the chance to have you stay with us. I agree this is a great place for business travelers for a short term or a long term stay. Now that you found your 2nd Home please come back soon, we can't wait. Thank you again.

Reviewed November 14, 2011

We were here in August and returned in October for a family visit. Did not note any improvement in the hotel during that time.

Pros 1. New facility no time to develop repair issues

2. free internet connection, free parking, daily usa today

3. heated pool although over chlorinated.

Cons 1. Breakfast provided is tired, not fresh and basicly cold items. Needs to be fresh daily and could benefit with the addition of hot items such as eggs and breakfast meats plus fresh fruits.

2. Airconditioning system is erratic. Room is either too hot or too cold. A fan is on constantly with associated noise.

3. Housekeeping is inadequate. Did not replace toilet paper and soap when indicated. No consistant standards.

4. No upgrade offered for gold hilton honors status on both occasions.

Room Tip: high floor
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank sunfunlasvegas
GabeGarn, General Manager at Home2 Suites By Hilton Salt Lake City/Layton, UT, responded to this reviewResponded November 29, 2011

Thank you for staying with us again. I appreciate you pointing out some areas of improvement. We will review them and do what we can to improve the experience moving forward. The housekeeping issues you encountered are not typical of our hotel and I will be taking this up with the staff. I hope the next time you come to the Layton area to visit your family you really do give us another chance to win your loyalty.

Reviewed September 1, 2011

After traveling for 4 weeks throughout the SW USA, we were wrapping up our trip with stops along our route home. Prior to arriving, we didn't expect much from this two-night stop in Layton. We found it completely refreshing and we were glad we were staying more than one night, although we didn't plan any excursions or visits in the area. We used the hotel simply to rest from our trip and take a break from the road. It's brand new and the design is excellent for making a comfortable and attractive stay for a family. We had a very comfortable king bed and our daughter slept in a surprisingly comfortable pullout bed. The mattress quality was better than any other pullout mattress we've ever seen. Good choice! There is a curtain that pulls outs between the bed and couch area. The room was designed beautifully (modern & comfortable) and very ergonomically. The designers clearly thought about what makes sense. The layout and space is pleasing and very efficient. Even the work-station table moves around so you can make a dinner table wherever you want. I've never seen so much shelving and storage space in a room - the entire wall was covered! The kitchen area was great. Nice basic utensils, full fridge, dishwasher and sink, and lovely tall glasses and modern dishes. We liked the little blue glow coming from the edges of the light switches, because the room was still very, very dark, but not pitch black and our daughter preferred that. Plus, we just pulled our curtain out between us to keep our side darker. The window blind is built in to side frames so that virtually all outside light is kept out - what a wonderful concept! We really felt "at home" here. We loved the clean pool and hottub. We were told it was saline and we didn't feel any chlorine effects as we had at many of the other hotels where we stayed over a four-week period. Also, the hottub has interesting light effects shining inside on the little tiles - blue, green changing. The continental breakfast was a bonus to us because though it was pretty standard in many ways, the oatmeal condiments were different than at most places and delicious - shredded coconut, dried apples, raspberries (might be previously frozen, but still good), craisins, walnuts, granola, etc. This was a real treat. There were also English muffins, boiled eggs etc. We didn't have the prepackage quick breakfast, as we usually like to eat whole and healthy foods. The coffee was great, too. The workout room was good - nice equipment, headsets for all machines, several tvs, fresh water, etc. The laundry room was small but the cost was very low compared to other places. I believe it was only $.50 a load. Staff were friendly and helpful as well. We liked the idea of an eco-friendly hotel. Our towels still got changed, even though we didn't request them to be. The housekeeping staff seemed young, and perhaps a bit inexperienced - that would be my only tiny concern. Here is why - though our room looked very clean, there was spill of some liquid on our floor when we first arrived. This should have been noticed and cleaned up before we were there. I wrote a note for housekeeping the next morning and while we were at the pool it was cleaned up. Also, though I appreciated housekeeping's efforts, the dishwasher was unnecessarily run after the first night's stay, as it only had a few dishes in it, and we thought eco-consciousness was a priority. Perhaps she ran it for us as a gesture to compensate for having missed cleaning up the spill that had been left on the floor the day before. All in all, we were impressed and felt very much at home. The staff were all very friendly and accommodating. We loved it here!

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Celestialtravels
GabeGarn, General Manager at Home2 Suites By Hilton Salt Lake City/Layton, UT, responded to this reviewResponded September 29, 2011

Thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to write such a great review. You really covered everything so well it gives others a great picture of what to expect. I loved that you mentioned you felt at home. That is what we are trying to achieve here at the Home2 Suites. I am glad your daughter enjoyed the pull out bed. I tell people how wonderful they are and it is great to hear it from somebody else also. I hope the next your travels take you to Layton you come back to your 2nd home and say Hi. Thank you again.

Reviewed August 25, 2011

I've had my eye on the new home2 brand as I'm a very loyal Hilton honors member. I couldn't wait to experience the new hotel..total travel nerd! This hotel did not disappoint! I really enjoyed the fresh room and the Eco friendly concept. Seth and Brittany were very friendly and accommodating. The bed was very comfy! The only thing I would change is the nightlight around the light switches. The LED light was very bright. I can't wait to stay at more of these hotels as they pop up around the country!

• Stayed: August 2011
GabeGarn, General Manager at Home2 Suites By Hilton Salt Lake City/Layton, UT, responded to this reviewResponded September 2, 2011

Thank you for the great review. As a fellow travel nerd it is nice to get such a great review, cause we know best right? By the way I love the loyal Hilton customers like yourself, keep up the good work. I will tell both Seth and Brittany the nice things you said about them. Thank you again we will continue to build Home2 Suites but come back to see us at this one.

Reviewed August 19, 2011

This is a newer property in the Layton area. I have family here so I stay in the area a few times a year. This was my first visit to Home2.

First impressions were good. The hotel looks clean, and the check in experience was easy. Thats where it all ends. I had many problems with this my room and how the property was maintained. I also had billing issues. Never once was the Home2 "We guarantee an engaging experience and clean, comfortable accommodations. If you aren't completely satisfied, let us make it right or that night's on us." Guarantee offered.

The rooms look clean upon arrival but thats the only time they are fully cleaned. If you ask for it the maid says they only do a "touch up" for the environment. Also they use bulk containers for Shampoo and soap which is fine if they have shampoo and soap in them. Apparently they don't regularly check them because my soap was empty. Also when I retrieved a towel from the rack, the metal connector came undone and I had to push it back in so it wouldn't fall off. When you turn on the tv its just static which seems out of place for a Hilton product. The Hilton website says they offer HBO which they don't. The beds were comfortable but the rooms clearly didn't have enough sound proofing as I could hear my neighbor close their window shade each night and voices. I could also hear footsteps overhead. I have never had these sorts of noises in a Marriott Courtyard.

Another detail on the Hilton website said the pool was saline. This is a definite plus as it doesn't bother your eyes or cause skin irritation. The only problem is that its not true. The pool room is extremely hot, in fact we felt heat coming from the vents and it reeked of chlorine. The front desk said only the jacuzzi had chlorine in it, but after just a few moments in the pool, it was clear it was overloaded with chlorine itself.

Not a great impression when everything on the website is complete lies. Also, the breakfast is a joke. You do get the basics of cereal, yogurt and juice. But while watching the employee put the leftover breads away, she was using her bare hands. Gross! Also they have a toasted egg thing that even an astronaut would find disgusting.

My last problem with this hotel was that I booked on the Hilton site with an advance purchase. My stay was already paid for. I was charged again when I checked out and didn't realize till I was home. I spoke to a young lady who said she would research it and call me back. She called me back and let me know that she fixed the double charge. It's been over a week later and still no credit. I called the hotel directly this morning and asked to speak to the manager. After a minute the clerk asked me my name, I gave it and it was almost another 8 minutes before the manager came on. Not very nice treatment. He then looked through my record and says it is now fixed. I expressed my displeasure with the whole experience and gave him a chance to bring up the guarantee. I am also a Gold HHonors member so I thought he would do something. Nothing... he just said it would post in a few days. If this is how they treat valued guests, I would stay away from this property. it's not worth the trouble. Sadly I had high hopes but they were dashed. You would be better off to stay at a Marriott product or even the Hilton Garden in accross the street.

Room Tip: To get the best room, stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank Dansocal

I appreciate you coming and staying with us and for taking the time to speak with me about the issues you encountered. I am sorry that you experienced the things that you did. It was great being able to talk to you about the stay and explain some things and to display my commitment to make things right for you. We have taken the steps to ensure what happened to you will not happen moving forward. I hope the next time you come to the Layton area to visit your family you really do give us another chance to win your loyalty. Please call me when you do I look forward to talking to you again.