Home2 Suites By Hilton Salt Lake City/Layton, UT
Ranked #3 of 11 Hotels in Layton
Rigby, Idaho
“Good concept”
Reviewed April 17, 2011

I stayed one night at the Home2 Suites to try out the new brand, and because I booked the room for only 7500 Hilton points per night.

Outside there is a "pre-lobby" of sorts with seating and a gas firepit to encourage outdoor gathering, as well as a short guest walking path around a water feature and the parking area. The exercise room is top-notch, with quality equipment and individual TVs for the treadmills, etc. The room is shared with 2 washers and 2 dryers for guest laundry. Breakfast area is quite small, seating exactly 18 elbow-to-elbow along one long eating bar. If the hotel was full I doubt there would be space, but there are additional seating and tables available in the adjacent lobby (called the "oasis"). The breakfast offerings are on par with a Springhill Suites or Fairfield Inn, with cereal, instant oatmeal, hard-boiled eggs, bread for toast, and a pre-packaged (frozen) toast/egg creation unique to Home2 Suites. I tried one, but after sending it through the toaster oven conveyor, the edges were burned and the center was still cold & soggy. There are LOTS of various toppings available for your cereal and toast.

As you go to your room you will use RFID door keys, not magnetic (less chance of your room key not working). In each suite the entry to the room is also the kitchen area, which includes a full-size fridge, sink, large microwave, all utensils & dishes, and a dishwasher, but not much storage. Across from the kitchen wall is the bathroom, with a shower (no tub). The shampoo and body wash is Neutrogena brand, and provided via dispensers on the shower wall. There is a bar of Neutrogena soap at the sink. I always bring my own soap and shampoo, so this made no difference to me either way. The bathroom is functional and works, but is a little on the small side. The toilet is a water-saving model with European-style full- & half-flush buttons on top of the tank. My room had a door to connect to the adjacent room, for families or groups that want to connect their rooms. The HDTV is large, and the channel lineup includes a few HD channels such as the national networks. I didn't try the various TV connection options, but you can connect your laptop, DVD player, digital camera, etc if you have the right cables. My room had a comfortable king bed and a sofa bed also, which can be partially separated by a curtain if desired.

The employees I met were friendly and helpful. Free internet access is included. Although I didn't use it, the pool is saline, not chlorine, which apparently is better for your skin. If you're looking for somewhere to eat lunch or dinner, you have five excellent choices adjacent to the hotel: Bandidos Grill (Mexican), Holy Smoke BBQ, a family-friendly Irish pub, Corbins Grille (fine dining), and Roosters Brewing Company. Dozens of additional restaurants, including the Layton Hills Mall, are within a couple of minutes. I would be comfortable bringing my family also. The hotel is all about efficiency and conservation with budget-minded and eco-minded products and a minimalist approach in the hotel design. The design is stylish and smart, as expected for a new hotel. My only hesitation is the tromp-tromp-tromp heard whenever someone walks around in adjacent rooms. The facility has an almost prefabricated feel to it, like it wouldn't stand up to a strong gust of wind, and I could hear every footstep across the floor in the rooms adjacent and especially above mine. Despite this, I will definitely stay here again, as it includes just about everything I look for in a hotel.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank ajnuff
GabeGarn, General Manager at Home2 Suites By Hilton Salt Lake City/Layton, UT, responded to this review, April 22, 2011
Thank you for a great review. You did a great job covering everything in our hotel. I appreciate your insights and the kind things you said about us. We can't wait to have you back.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
  • Thai first
Bend, OR
Reviewed April 14, 2011

Lobby common area is a great idea and I think will be very successful. Could maybe use a little more of the comfy dining as opposed to the stare at each other bar. But all in all...I liked it. The little prepared egg dish that you run through the toaster oven was about 1 star...but given a better chef/food planner...the idea could be awesome. I doctored mine with leftover chicken from the night before (at Roosters restaurant which was also a great experience, across the street) and some salsa/picante packet of some sort they had. Made it more bearable. Saw others take one bite, toss it, and head out the door to start their day (probably hitting up McDonalds).

The first big problem is the stupid illuminated light switches in the rooms. They have about a dozen blue-white glowing LEDs around the face plate that cannot be turned off. If you like to sleep in darkness, so sorry. In one room, we taped a towel over the switch, in the other I fashioned a piece of heavy paper to tuck in around the edges and then folded it so it would help block the light. Although they were just approaching their one month anniversary, when I called to ask about being able to turn off the illumination, I got the feeling I wasn't the first to ask. She did offer us her tape.

The 2nd big problem is the loud slamming doors. No mystery who on your floor is the earliest riser...you will hear when they leave their room. (ours was 5:55AM) They may be able to take care of a lot of this with little rubber bumpers or adjusting the door closure rates. Also within the rooms, if you have adjoining rooms or if you use the flipper thingy to hold your door open (instead of the dead bolt) while you make a quick run to the lobby...they bang around clumsily. Some heavy duty rubber could/should have been engineered into these clever little devices. So two of the biggest things that many consider sacred in their accomodations: light control and noise control...fail miserably.

My 3rd gripe is their choice to go with the Neutrogena products for shampoo and body wash. Don't get me wrong I love the efficiency of the sleek wave dispensers and not a bunch of wasteful little bottles. What I hate is the choice of the stinky Neutrogena Rainbath body wash product. I think the shampoo may actually have been OK, but with no conditioner, I skipped it altogether. My teenage son didn't mind it too much, but he thinks Axe Body products are good too...you get the point. Give me something mellow or better yet, unscented. The whole bathroom stunk after my son finished showering.

I still give the property a 4 star rating and 5 in most areas...as I really liked it and will probably go back (my wife...maybe not. She likes her peace and quiet and darkness.) Hopefully they can address these few issues and make the stay really amazing.

The sheets are soft as can be...amazing! I'm going to try and find what they are and get them for home. The hypo-allergenic Touch of Down pillows were great and the cushy bolster makes sitting in bed a comfortable option to the couch for TV viewing. The LCD TV rocks...with easy hookups to attach to a laptop or iPhone for movies or just as a monitor. The desk is OK but the chair was a compromise. Give me an affordable sleek task chair like the Haworth Zody...better looking and would fit the hip Home2 brand better. The iHome ia100 clock radio is great...streaming Bluetooth audio was a piece of cake. And the speakers fill the room with great tunes. Can you say, "party"? WiFi signal was strong and fast (a little hiccup with the joining...you choose "hhonors" but then it fires up your browser to authenticate/TOS agreement, and then you wind up on the "ATT Wireless" connection). Pull out couches rocked!! Kids each got their own comfy bed (just be sure to request a warmer blanket). The kitchenette was awesome and even has a dishwasher for extended stay folks. Enough glassware to have friends over for a drink, etc.

Room Tip: Adjoining rooms are great for family stays.
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank lordfarqhaad
Thank you so much for bringing your family to our wonderful new hotel. I'm glad that you enjoyed our soft micro-fiber sheets. I agree the LCD TV does rock. I'm glad you were able to use our media hub to hook up your lap top and other devices to our TV. I'm glad your kids experienced our sofa sleepers, they really are the best sofa sleepers I have seen at a hotel. The thick pillow top mattress makes it very easy to sleep on. Thank you again. We can't wait to see your family back soon!
Regina, Canada
Reviewed April 10, 2011

We arrived in the late at night and while checking out the Hilton Garden Inn, discovered this brand new hotel right across the street . Price was right - only 7500 points per night as opposed to 25,000 points to stay at the HGI. Room was great for our quick stay and breakfast good enough! I wish I had been able to find more hotels like this when I was still working and on the road. The kitchen area was well equipped with large fridge, dishes, etc. Large screen TV, fast internet connection, fine ammenities - need I say more. We especially enjoyed the front desk manager, Louis, who bent over backwards to make sure we were well looked after.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
Thank you for staying with us and for a great review. You will be glad to hear Home2 Suites by Hilton are starting to pop up around the country. Thanks for the nice comment about Louis. It was a pleasure for him and the rest of us to serve you. Let us know when you are coming back because we can't wait to see you! Thank you again.
Boise, Idaho
Reviewed March 30, 2011

This is a new concept hotel by Hilton and it is fabulous. We loved the rooms - very functional for business travelers and very comfortable for those on leisure trips to the area. We arrived on the 16th day they were open (according to the excellent evening manager, Louis. Everything was in excellent shape and I would urge everyone going to this area to give it a try. We especially liked the outdoor firepit in the front. Breakfast was included and was good. There is a mini-store by the front desk with snacks and drinks. All the rooms come with a big fridge, microwave, dishwasher and all the essentials. Would be a great place to stay for a week if visiting the area on business. Although we didn't use it, there was a nice indoor pool. Next trip!

It seems everyone who worked there was very happy and really enjoyed telling the story of the concept. We were expecially grateful to Louis who checked us in. He was "multi-tasking" but made us feel welcome and proud to give us all the details about the hotel. I reserved a room for two nights later on my return trip simply because I felt welcome and the room was very functional for getting work done.

Room Tip: All rooms are great!
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
I can't agree with you more, everybody should come and give us a try. Thanks for your positive feedback on breakfast at the Inspired Table. We do love telling the story of this new concept because it is such a rewarding thing to be a part of . We will keep the saline pool warm and ready for your next trip, just tell us when you're coming.