“Poor for a Marriott - Fair for all others”

Fairfield Inn Salt Lake City Layton
Ranked #8 of 11 Hotels in Layton
Reviewed September 17, 2013

I've never been disappointed in a Marriott before so this was a first. If someone told me they were paying for this room for me I'd stay there but I would probably try a different hotel if I was making the reservation.

Dealt with 4 staff members: 2 were indifferent, warm bodies doing their jobs - 1 was too busy & too loud in her own conversation to be bothered - 1 male was very friendly.

Bed: way too soft, too many dips to be comfortable. We had a King bed & hubby's side had much more support but was still soft. I could almost fall out of my side but it was tolerable if I slept in the middle of the bed.

Breakfast: Great. Always love the waffle machine!

Location: Very good. Almost a shared parking lot w/Cracker Barrel (dinner). Just far enough away from the airport to get us a nice head start on our vacation in the Tetons.

OH! And when I walked into the bathroom my mouth dropped! (It was clean.) I thought someone was refinishing the bathtub but I looked again & it was fine. There were gray streak marks on the shower wall that were supposed to look like grained marble or something - but it looked like grease markes or someone just scraped off wallpaper! Again - there was nothing wrong, it was clean! I think a man w/a very tight wallet decorated this place - everything was just a little bit off!

Room Tip: If you're on a budget this place will do for a night but I'd recommend another place.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank CAGL

Reviewed September 4, 2013

This Fairfield is fine. It's nothing fancy - fairly close to the highway so if freeway noise bothers you, ask for a room on the quiet side. We do work at Hill AFB, and the location cannot be beat. The breakfast is nice, wifi reliable and I will say the beds seemed awesome - maybe newer mattresses? However, in the same parking lot there's a Courtyard which I've also stayed at and officially like better; it doesn't have kleenex for towels and it does have a fitness room (Fairfield does not). However, the Courtyard doesn't have free breakfast! Hope this will help you decide which hotel to stay at.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank PipersMom29
Reviewed September 2, 2013

We stayed at this hotel while on business at the Hill AFB. We were offered the military discount due to working at the base. The room quality was great, pillows were soft, and room was super quiet. The staff was attentive and friendly. The breakfast was laid out very nicely. We would stay again at this hotel when on business in the area.

Room Tip: I think most the rooms in this hotel would be very quite due to the facility's location with reg...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed August 1, 2013

I had reserved in that hotel 8 month ago and prepaid my room but when I arrived the employee told me I had no room because of a convention. While I was at the desk, i've seen people coming after me and receiving their key....(maybe of my already paid room?).
They tried to relocate me in a motel 6 (which is a cheaper hotel) but when I arrived, there was no room available and finaly after 20 miles drive I got to ome back to Fairfield inn where I got nearly no help. I finally had to find by myself another hotel that I finally found 50 miles away and 5 hours later !
Overbooking may happen but i spend my life travelling around the world and I've never been treated that way in a hotel.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank famille401
Reviewed July 10, 2013

Colleen, the breakfast attendant, asked if I needed anything, I told her my problem. She said they had Rice Chex and almond milk!!!! I was so shocked and delighted I almost burst into tears. BEST breakfast I've ever had while travelling.

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed May 29, 2013

The Fairfield Inn is conveniently located next to the freeway and quite a few restaurants. The staff was very friendly and helpful. However the rooms could use a few more outlets, I had to move the furniture to plug in my computer (we had two with us, plus cell phones). I knew something was missing but couldn't put my finger on it till the next morning, the room had no baseboards, so maybe there are in the process of upgrading. The staff made up for the few shortcomings.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank C'Est La Vie In... R
Reviewed May 25, 2013

I stayed at the hotel for three nights for work. I requested a room on the third floor but was given one on the first floor next to the breakfast room. While it made in convenient for breakfast or getting a cup of tea (offered free 24/7), it was incredibly loud. My room was across from the meeting room. I tried to go to bed earlier as it was a time change for me; however, there was clapping and singing until about 10 p.m. Several times during the night I heard other guests in the hallway or nearby rooms. At about 6 a.m., I heard the television from the breakfast room as I believe we shared a wall. It was impossible to get a good night's sleep. The following night was similar, I cringed when I heard a speaker from the meeting room say, "We'll be here for a while if you have questions." The third night was actually pretty quiet, the room must not have been booked.

Pros:
1. Free continental breakfast included waffles and a variety of other items
2. Tea bags and hot water were free 24/7 in the breakfast room
3. There were usually apples and bananas available 24/7 in the breakfast room
4. The staff was friendly and helpful
5. The room was quickly and thoroughly cleaned each day - the washcloths were even made into bows

Cons:
1. The noise the first two nights made it impossible to sleep well
2. The room temperature was hard to control - the fan was constant or completely off which meant I had to adjust it during the night to be comfortable.
3. The television took quite a bit of time to change channels or scroll through the guide each time
4. The vending machine was broken while I was there so I couldn't get a cold drink

Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business