“Once in a lifetime”

Secret Slot Canyon Photo Tour
Ranked #6 of 17 Tours in Kanab
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Based in Kanab, UT, Action Photo Tours will take you to the most stunning sights in the desert Southwest. We cater to photographers and take you to the best spots at the best time of the day. Photography instruction is also included in your outing. Private trips, overnight camping, and multi-day options are available. We also offer post-processing instruction, professional image editing, and on-location portrait photography.
Reviewed August 10, 2018

In August I had the opportunity to visit the Wave with David Schwindler. That's why we had a 4-day photography workshop. It was already my second workshop with Action Action Photo Tours and I'm in the process of booking the next workshop for April / May 2019.
It was always great as always, David is very nice and I'm looking forward to the next time

Management response:Responded August 12, 2018

Thank you for joining us again! We look forward to working with you next time as well! Thank you for the review.

All reviews
"outdoor experience"
"group size"

Reviewed August 9, 2018

Fantastic experience!
David sets up a great camp, then points out the most compelling compositions during your hike and is always available for suggestions on camera settings or a different view while you wander about.
Great dinner, with a nice variety of snacks, comfortable sleeping pad and bags, quick breakfast and off shooting the morning light.

Management response:Responded August 10, 2018

Thank you for the review! We're so glad that you enjoyed your time with us and we hope to see you again on a future tour or workshop!

Reviewed August 8, 2018

I had very high expectations going into this photo vacation to Southern Utah. This was my first experience with David Swindler and Action Photo Tours, but it will not be my last! David’s planning and acute focus on current conditions enabled our group to experience some amazing landscapes. David guided us to lesser frequented locations which meant no crowds and he was always available to suggest guidance on camera settings and composition. The small group size afforded David to really spend time with each student and it allowed the workshop to be flexible to maximize the shooting opportunities. I am already planning another trip with Action Photo Tours early next year!

Management response:Responded August 10, 2018

Thank you so much for the review! We're glad that you had a great time on the workshop! We love it when we meet and exceed expectations a we hope we can continue to do that for you on all of your future tours and workshops.

Reviewed August 5, 2018

I had the pleasure of attending my second photo workshop event with David. He is amazing and knows so much about photography. His knowledge of the area is wonderful and he has so many options of places to go. I will attend another workshop as soon as I can. David is the best at what he does. He is also one of the nicest people you will ever meet.

Management response:Responded August 10, 2018

Thank you for the kind words, Shelia! We are glad you enjoy the workshops so much and we definitely look forward to working with you again in the future! I hope you got some great shots on this last workshop.

See more reviews
Reviewed July 19, 2018

The night sky photography workshop I attended with my girlfriend was terrific. Dennis was our instructor/guide, and he was friendly and knowledgeable. We visited two locations to shoot the Milky Way - one in Bryce Canyon and the other in Zion National Park. Dennis got us up and running quickly and explained the technical issues well. We barely got set up on the second shot of the night and had to pack up due to rain, but the weather is frequently unpredictable, especially in summer in the desert southwest. The only thing keeping me from giving a five star review is the fact that the image creation requires blending two photos in Photoshop or similar software sky and foreground). For those who aren’t familiar with this process, you will be disappointed unless you have a friend who can help out. The advertised “post-production” instruction is minimal, although in fairness it would take several hours to walk people through the process, in which case there would be no time to shoot. Bottom line: this is a great workshop for learning how to shoot the night sky, but be prepared to do some significant post-production work afterward. You won’t come away from the eight-hour session with any finished shots. I should add that my girlfriend and I went out on our own the following night and successfully shot single exposures of the Milky Way with silhouettes of mountains and trees that looked great. I’m glad we received the technical instruction to do so.

Review collected in partnership with this attraction
daswindler, Owner at Action Photo Tours, responded to this reviewResponded July 23, 2018

We really appreciate the review - thanks so much for taking the time to write it! Yes, it's difficult to cram a comprehensive night sky program into just one evening. It's true that to get the best quality night shots you have to combine multiple images in post-processing. But for those that prefer a simpler one-shot technique, you can use a single image, knowing that you will have to deal with more high ISO grain and noise. We'd be happy to offer you more instruction on that.

Been to Action Photo Tours? Share your experiences!