“Wonderful”

Dreamland Safari Tours
Ranked #2 of 23 Outdoor Activities in Kanab
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Dreamland Safari Tours delivers unique Scenic Off-Road Adventure Tours with plenty of Photography stops and short hikes mixed in. From the well known sights to those "secret" places only the locals know about, our adventures highlight the best of this wild, vivid landscape. Already designed for everyday people, options are available to fit your time frame, interests, and abilities. Our seasoned naturalist tour guides are simply the best in the business. Loaded heavy duty Suburbans carry up to 25 passengers in air conditioned comfort. Whether you are interested in touring for 3 hours or 3 days, backyard or back country, we are your outdoor connection. Let us do all the work. After all it's YOUR vacation!
Reviewed July 14, 2013

We booked the mini dream tour with the slot canyon. We didn't know what we were going to see, but enjoyed everything. It is beautiful country and Don Black was an excellent guide. The slot canyon is not to be missed. It was wonderful and the highlight of our adventure. It was so nice to have someone who knows where all these wonderful places are and has a vehicle that can get you there.
The lunch on our trip was much more that expected. We were expecting a pre-made sandwich with a bag of chips. No, we made it ourselves with fresh ingredients, lettuce tomato, meat, cheese, mayo, mustard. Great potato salad. And lots of snacks to enjoy. And more water than you will ever need.
The only negative I can come up with is that there was more travel time than I expected. But since I had no idea of where we were going, the travel time could not have been shortened.
We loved it. Don't pass up this opportunity. You will love it too!

dreamlandsafari, Owner at Dreamland Safari Tours, responded to this reviewResponded August 3, 2013

Thanks for the review! I'm glad you enjoyed your guide and the experience. And I am especially glad you mentioned our lunches. Ever since I use to work for an outfit in Las Vegas that had decent tours but terrible lunches, I said to myself that when I had my own tour company my lunches would rock. Mission Accomplished!

All reviews
in 25 reviews
"sunset tour"
in 11 reviews

Reviewed July 13, 2013

We could not have been happier with this tour. We saw beautiful and dramatic scenery unlike anything we had experienced before--it was the perfect combination of places for incredible photography. We also feel very fortunate to have had Bret as our guide, since he's the one responsible for our fabulous day. We were originally scheduled for the White Pocket & Wire Pass Slot Canyon tour, but since it had rained the day before & rain was forecast for the day of our tour, we stopped by the Paria BLM office to ensure the slot canyon would be safe. The BLM representative recommended that we not do the slot canyon because a flash flood warning was in effect. Bret helped us consider alternatives, we asked if it would be possible to get permits for South Coyote Buttes, and after a phone call and a little paperwork, we were on our way to the best tour we've ever taken. Bret was very helpful in assisting me to hike to places that I wouldn't normally go on my own so that I wouldn't miss fabulous viewpoints, and he even served us a great lunch. We highly recommend this tour to anyone who wants to photograph unique and colorful Southwestern scenery in a remote area -- we only saw one other person all day after leaving the BLM office, and she worked for BLM! Be aware that you must have a 4x4 vehicle to get there and also know where you're going, thus definitely making the Dreamland Safari tour worth every penny!

1  Thank Sue C
Reviewed July 13, 2013

We had a great trip from Kanab to Toroweap Point on the North Rim of the Grad Canyon. Don and Brett we our guides. They were a wealth of knowledge and information on the drive to and from Toroweap. My wife and I were the only ones on this excursion, and we traveled in air-conditioned comfort in a Suburban vehicle. The views from Toroweap were awe-inspiring; sheer 3,000 ft. drop to the Colorado River below. Also, great view of the massive lava flow that once blocked the river and Lava Falls on the river today. I would highly recommend Dreamland Safari Tours for reaching remote places such as Toroweap.

2  Thank Steven115
Reviewed July 3, 2013

Took a 3 hour trip to Mystical Slot Canyon. Drove off road which was quite an experience and the canyon was very beautiful. Our guide (sorry, can't remember the name, but he was quite new in the job) was curteous and told us a lot of interesting facts, he also took us on a little detour and showed us an early pueblo settlement and a cave.
But, the trip was quite expensive. Compared to other 3 hour trips we did this vacation (rafting and atv driving) which also required additional equipment, then Dreamland was 30% more expensive. And since the slot canyon was quite short (our guide even asked us to walk more slowly!), the trip could easily be cut down to 2 hrs and the price halved.

1  Thank Anne L
dreamlandsafari, Owner at Dreamland Safari Tours, responded to this reviewResponded July 5, 2013

Thank you for your positive review. I'm glad that your guide was able to provide a memorable experience for your group.

We will agree to disagree with regard to the tour being overpriced and drawn out. Our prices for nearly the same tour to the same canyon have always been lower than our next competitors recently lowered prices. If I subtracted 30%-%50% from our prices on adult seats, Dreamland would have been out of business as soon as it began. These other types of activities like rafting and ATVs are comparing apples and oranges. They are completely different business models, levels of service, locations, and economies of scale. We also offer a hefty 50% discount for children to help out the parents, and because we are huge believers in getting kids outside.

We cater to a wide range of customers, but nearly all of those who purchase slot canyon tours are focused on photography at some level from amateur to expert. Photography can take a long time with lots of discussion, setup, assistance, long exposures, experimentation, etc. I personally had one man, a professional, pay double to take 6 hours in this slot canyon. Photography may not have been your motivation. Admittedly the Mystical Slot Canyon is short and easy and not an exercise type, but rather an experience type of tour. This is probably why our guide suggested not rushing. He also has lots to tell you about its features. We offer many other tours that feature more hiking if you were looking for that. There are plenty of both cheaper and far more commercialized slot canyon tours and there are canyoneering companies that offer a more physical experience in slot canyons with ropes. We offer the middle ground that we think appeals to most people.