“One of the best hikes in Utah”
Review of Buckskin Gulch

Ranked #9 of 45 things to do in Kanab
More attraction details
Owner description: Gorgeous canyon whose stone walls shimmer with hundreds of different shades of pink and red: a truly aesthetic experience.
London, United Kingdom
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 133 helpful votes
“One of the best hikes in Utah”
Reviewed December 18, 2011

This is one not to miss. Not many people have heard about this place but this was in fact rated the top ten hikes in the world by National Geographic some years back. Hiking down Buckskin Gulch beats hiking in the Grand Canyon 10 times. The trail is not overused but you do have to plan ahead of time, equip properly and be able to hike the entire length without turning back. I went with my girlfriend in May of 2009 and had one of our best hikes ever (and we have hiked in many places around the world). The pictures on the web is really as incredible as in real life. If you plan to do hiking in Utah and wanted something adventurous and not just hiking in the woods or climbing up a mountain, I would highly highly recommend this trail.

Visited May 2011
7 Thank Travel_Bug_Will

Mequon, Wisconsin
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 53 helpful votes
“A hike worth the time and effort!”
Reviewed November 3, 2011

Standing in line early in the morning, hoping luck was on our side for a pass to hike THE WAVE, Utah, my sister and I were not so lucky. Our plan that day was to hike Wire Pass to Buckskin Slot canyon, only to hear that Wire Pass had two sections of rock blockage that was difficult to get through, unless you had tall people and many in your party to help each other. My sister and I decided to hike the longer 4 mile route to Buckskin, avoiding Wire Pass. The hike begins with open surroundings, lots of sage and pretty yellow Mormon tea blooming, a few delightful wildflowers, beautiful scenery, and happy to say, we were all alone!! The path takes you back and forth through the wash, and after an hour or so, the sides of the wash get taller and you get excited for the walls to become narrow!! We stopped for a sandwich, enjoying the scenery, found an animals' skull, pretty cool. When you begin to hike in the wash the sides getting higher and you are entering the narrows, beautiful.
There were a few muddy sections, Utah had lots of rain the week before, but we were happy the water wasn't high. We checked our watch, knowing we had to turn around by 2:00, not to be caught in the dark, and suddenly we saw people ahead in a clearing, we had reached Wire Pass intersection. A group of 40 German geology students had hiked Wire Pass and tried Buckskin Narrows but Buckskin was impassable, too much water. So instead of my sister and I hiking back 4 miles, they offered to help us through Wire Pass.
Wire Pass slotted up and was so cool to walk through, until we came to the first 6 foot wall of rock. One by one we took our turn hoisting each other up the wall of rock. Unfortunately, when the guy in front of me, pulled me up too fast, I tore my ACL, what a bummer! There was one more blockage to get over, and then about a mile hike to the cars. The Germans gave us a ride back to our car, they were so nice to help us!

Afterwards, we decided to take our jeep down Cottonwood road (had been impassable the day before due to rain). If you have a high clearance rental, take this drive, it was so interesting! The various colors of soil, makes you feel like you are on the moon! We were hoping to climb to YELLOW ROCK, another very cool hike, but my knee wasn't happy. We did drive the entire Cottonwood road, all the way to Kodachrome and stopped to see Grosvenor Arch. Great driving trip!

Utah is such a beautiful state!

Visited September 2011
6 Thank lovehiking12
OTTAWA
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Wet and wild”
Reviewed October 5, 2006

I just finished a 3 day hike through Buckskin via Wire Pass Trailhead from October 24-26, 2006. Despite dire warnings from the Ranger and from a shuttle operater about chest to neck deep pools of frigid water to wade through we encountered water only up to our waists in 2 or 3 pools. Overall we waded through about 30 pools of ankle to waist deep water across across 2 days of hiking before we got to the Paria River confluence for the last 1/2 day hike out to the White House trail head. Oh, and the mud. Mud was everywhere.

We started the hike with a side trip to the "wave" which was approximately 6 miles round trip. This was a great hike and a great destination - real camera candy. You could take photos all day!

Then we entered the Gulch and thoroughly enjoyed hiking through what is said to be the longest slot canyon in the US. Walls towered 4-500 feet above us in undulating form. Colours covered the spectrum from yellow through orange to brown and grey. The water was cold but not too cold and it gave a little sense of excitement as you wondered how deep the next pool would be.

We stayed the first night at the Middle Route which is a climb out at the half way point. Here the walls are only about 100 feet high. As easy as it is to scramble up, we were quite thankful to have 50 feet of rope to haul up our 50 pound packs. An evening on the canyon top under a canopy of stars was delightful.

The next day we hiked back in past some petroglyphs and marched on through boulder jams, wood jams and pools to our next site at the confluence. The following morning we hiked 4 hours out and were done.

Overall, this was a great adventure. Certainly a good physical and mental challenge.

9 Thank cgi

Been to Buckskin Gulch? Share your experiences!