“Nice place with a nice view”

Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Kanab
Ranked #6 of 15 Hotels in Kanab
Los Angeles, California
“Nice place with a nice view”
Reviewed June 17, 2014

It's taken a while for me to right this review. I stayed here early May for 2 nights in a standard room. The room had a nice view of the red rocks that surround the area. The area around the hotel is very safe, and there are a good amount of places to eat. The free breakfast in the morning is good with plenty to choose from. Had only pleasant experiences with the staff. We went to Zion, and it was short drive away. We also went to Monument Valley, which was about 3.5 hours one way. I would definitely recommend staying here if you need to stay in Kanab.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank barthizzle

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (131)
  • Korean first
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed June 14, 2014

The rooms are spacious, has microwave along with refrigerator. The breakfast is not bad at all. Because now Kanab is a tourist based city and most of the clients are there to visit national parks around, the hotel management may want to setup a concierge service to help the guests plan guided tours.

Room Tip: Great place to make a base if you plan to visit Zion, Bryce, Grand Canyon North rim and Lake Powell...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
New York City, New York
Reviewed June 13, 2014

We stayed here for two nights in the first week of June. I would say it is a decent hotel but little expensive. Front Desk people Jennifer was good and very helpful. I requested to change room after Day 1 since i have 2 separate bookings. They took care and move my luggage as well. Breakfast was good but I would like to have fridge in the room.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Medford, New Jersey
Reviewed June 12, 2014

Ugh..I really thought I was going to enjoy my stay here; but unfortunately I just thought it was average at best. Started with the stressed out front desk crew. I understand you're busy but there is such a thing as putting on a good face!
I stayed there for 3 nights and politely asked for a nice quiet room. I finally realized the Whrrrrrr sound that I heard for 3 days was the elevator!!! That brings me to my main complaint was that it was Noisy! Doors shutting/slamming(which mind you I did not hear at the Days Inn down the street where I spent 1 night). I also heard water going through the pipes especially in the mornings. And the creme de let creme was the last night I stayed there management let people throw a barbecue/cookout party right outside people's rooms . I sure was glad I was on the 3rd floor and that I had earplugs!! I admit I don't know how late they were out there but it was still in full swing at 9:30 at night. Is that appropriate? I don't think so. Maybe it was a social for the whole hotel but then why not have it in the eating area?? Bizarre..
I also though the rooms were small for the price I paid. There was no fridge also. (And again at the Days Inn down the street thery provided a fridge and microwave.)Yes there is a pool...INSIDE..with screaming children overtaking it...I did think the breakfast was very good though. That was the one shining light. There is actually a pancake maker!! The selection was very good overall and there was an adequate sitting area.
I will definitely be back in the Kanab area as I hopefully will come back to volunteer again with Best Friends (totally awesome experience for those of you who may love animals). However I will either try another hotel in town or stay at the Sanctuary..

• Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
Joy D, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Kanab, responded to this review, June 13, 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to let us know how your stay was with us. We are happy that our breakfast was "very good."

I apologize for the noises at the hotel. This time of the year is a very busy one. We do the best we can to accomodate quiet rooms as a guest requests. In the event there is abnormally loud noises if the front desk is notified we can take steps to get the other guests to quiet down.

We do have a area around the pool outside that is occasionally used for guest get togethers. We do not usually get complaints about too much noise though. Our hotel is very much a family place and our pool is definately a gathering spot for the children to gather and have fun. Our pool hours are from 8:00 am to 11pm. There are always times when the pool is not inhabited by the children and any of the other guests have plenty of time to enjoy the pool when the children are not there. We are here to try to please and accomodate our guests of all ages. :-)

We do have rooms with refrigerators and microwaves. If our guests book a standard room there is not either of those appliances in those rooms. The rates are lower than the suites. We do however have extra fridges and microwaves available upon request with an additional small fee in the event our guests need either of those items.

Once again thank you for your feedback.

Warm Regards,

Drueann
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 11, 2014

We stayed for two nights. Would be nice if they put a fridge in the standard rooms, it was very hot and a cold drink would have been welcome (I'm not keen on ice in my drinks). Every other motel we stayed at on this trip (7 other motels) had both fridge and microwave and I hadn't realized this one didn't which was remiss of me. Lesson learned.

We had requested a high floor but were given a room on the middle floor and the noise from upstairs on our first night was horrendous, they were constantly walking backwards and forwards. Don't people realize there are people below them!! More soundproofing please hoteliers. We were also opposite the lift so lots of noise from departing guests on our second morning (coach tour left at 6 am).

The mattress was very soft and lumpy so we asked if they could change the mattress but they don't have spares. When we returned that day they gave us the key to a suite but alas the mattress was even worse so we stayed where we were but at least they tried to help and were pleasant about it.

Breakfasts were good, my OH loved the pancake maker. Lots of choice, hot and cold. The cookies on an afternoon were a delicious treat.

We did use the indoor pool (very small towels provided) and hot tub and also sat outside on the terrace but it is next to the main road and quite noisy with the heavy traffic going past.

Washing machine and dryer good value at $1 each.

Room Tip: I have come to the conclusion that it doesn't matter what you request you never get it!! I would...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback on your stay with us. You are correct in that our standard rooms which are not suites do not have a fridge or micorwave. The rates are lower on these rooms also. We do however have extra fridges and micorwaves for a small extra fee if anyone requests either of those we are happy to provide them at any time. Please ask at the front desk or during the time you are making the reservation you can request it then and we will happily place it in your room before your arrival.

It is warm during the summer and we understand our guests may be hot and thirsty upon arrival. We do have cold drinks in our vending machines along with our ice machines and our cold water fountains. Our front desk staff is always happy to assist you with your questions or concerns.

We do our best to accomodate special requests such as a specific floor etc. Unfortunately we cannot always accomodate everyones requests. We usually have a full house so every request may not be able to be granted. I apologize for any inconvenience this may cause any of our guests on any given day. Thank you for staying with us and we hope to see you again.

Warm Regards,

Drueann
Lexington, Kentucky
Reviewed June 9, 2014

Room had candy bar from previous guest left on floor under bed. Bathroom tiles cracked, had months of accumulated dirt on inside of hinges on bath door, and what appeared to be dried blood on escutcheon of bathroom door handle. Refrigerator in room didn't work. Dryer in laundry room on third floor never did get clothes dry, had to move to downstairs laundry. Worst of all was when we pulled back the sheets there were six or eight black hairs stuck on them. When I told checkout about all this they seemed very unconcerned and muttered something about seeing what they could do. Apparently nothing. Never heard a word from them. When I complained to holiday inn's customer service they said they would give me enough bonus points so that if I stayed at five more holiday inns I would get a free stay. What a deal! My wife and I were on a 4 week tour of the West, and of the sixteen hotels we stayed in, this was by far the most expensive, (over twice what we paid for any other), and dirtier than any other.

Room Tip: Don't go here
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
5 Thank R R
Joy D, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Kanab, responded to this review, June 11, 2014
I am so very sorry to hear that your stay with us was less than amazing. When you brought a few of these issues to our attention at check out I immediately went up to inspect the room myself. I did find the candy bar on the floor under the bedskirt and you're right, that was absolutely unacceptable. I do so apologize for that. The 'blood' on the back of the door was actually wood stain from us just recently refinishing all of our doors. On top of the additional points that our guest services gave you, it would be my pleasure to offer you a free upgrade to one of our spacious suites the next time you plan on visiting our beautiful area. Just get in touch with me directly and we will make sure to get you taken care of.

Best Regards,
Joy Downen
hikanab@gmail.com
Bayfield, Wisconsin
Reviewed June 8, 2014 via mobile

We loved this HIEx! It exceeded our expectations because it was so new and clean...efficient and easy. We had a microwave and fridge in our room (another review states that there are not?). My kids loved the fun mini-resort style pool. I loved the easy peasy laundry (after a week road trip in UT)...the breakfast was better than most and the staff were all gracious and -at your service-. Would definitely recommend!

• Stayed June 2014