“beautiful trip through the high uintahs”

Mirror Lake Scenic Byway
Ranked #1 of 7 things to do in Kamas
Reviewed August 18, 2012

We have lived in Utah since 2002, but I had never been to Mirror Lake. After a recent fishing trip in the area, I decided a scenic drive would be a fun Saturday activity before the start of school. I was right. The drive was beautiful. We enjoyed the cooler mountain air. And, we had fun with some fishing. I understand it is a great highway for fishing due to the vast number of lakes which are frequently stocked (you can find a stocking update here http://wildlife.utah.gov/dwr/fishing/stocking.html). We were not successful, but our kids (10 and 11) had fun.

1  Thank leojtracnik
There are newer reviews for Mirror Lake Scenic Byway

Reviewed August 3, 2012

It has been quite a few years since I have driven this route. One thing that has changed is there is now a fee if you plan on parking anywhere along the route. They have different fees depending on how long you will be in the area. We stayed for 3 days, which was $6 per vehicle. If you don't pay at the first fee station, don't worry, there are 3 or 4 more fee stations where you can pay, including one at Mirror Lake. This makes it easy just in case you aren't sure if you are going to stop while driving the route.

Lost Creek Campground was pretty standard as a campground goes. Dogs allowed on leashes only. Having more than one vehicle at a campsite costs $7 extra per night per vehicle. We had two vehicles and did not want to pay the extra vehicle charge, so I parked one car out on the road to avoid the extra cost. Pit toilets are far from some campsites. Drinking water is available, but only at the campground entrance, so I recommend a large water container to fill up and have at the campsite. The are picnic tables and fire pits provided. The fire-pits do have a swinging grate to allow for cooking over the fire.

There are endless opportunities for outdoor recreation. We took a canoe and went boating on Mirror Lake. This was free, at least no cost beyond general area fee. We caught some trout, about 8 inches, using salmon eggs. There is a good walking trail around the entire lake. The other activity I would recommend is the Bald Mountain hike. This is about a 2 mile hike one way, and offers a spectacular view of pine carpeted valleys and rugged rock peaks. You can probably see at least 80 miles.

Another thing to be aware of is the unpredictable weather. Be prepared for rain and cold even in July. We had local thunderstorms pop up every afternoon. We went at the end of July and highs were probably in the mid 70's while lows got down to the what I would guess were the high 40's.

9  Thank Chris P
Reviewed July 26, 2012

The best scenery in Utah. Beautiful road, wildlife, lakes, trees. I have lived here all my life, but never get tired of seeing this road and the beautiful High Uinta Mountains.

3  Thank Pat D
Reviewed July 5, 2012

It's about a 40 minute drive to the actual lake, but plenty of hiking and biking stops prior if you don't want to go all the way. Beatiful area...quiet....amazing views....and a lake in the middle of nowhere. Not much in the way of supplies up there, so bring your own. Also bring lots of bug spray...mosquito alert! It's a bout 9,000 feet, so it did cool off even from Park City. Great spot to get back to naure, just be prepared.

2  Thank AZ-Traveler85253
Reviewed March 27, 2012

IT is hard to decide which of the trails to hike here - they are all so beautiful, but even the drive is worth it.