“Nice find at the last minute”

Red Mountain Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Ivins
Reviewed July 22, 2014

We wanted to stay near Snow Canyon State Park and called them at the last minute. This is the slow time of year - 40% occupancy. We splurged on a large suite with a master bedroom, bedroom, 3 bathrooms and living room and kitchen. The kitchen lacked a stove but had a microwave. The fridge was tiny. Breakfasts in the dining room were great. We had an average dinner one night. We had a nice pool almost to ourselves and a hot tub. Our 2 adult children did the horseback ride in the evening and they loved it and the trip leader--worth the price. We hiked in the early am--6a -8am after driving into the park ($6). It looked like a fun place to bike ride. We were not aware ahead of time that you can buy packages and get exercise classes and talks included. If you do not buy the packages it is $35 for a yoga class! I wish I could have done the guided hike in the morning, but we did not really understand all they had to offer when we checked in. They should have you sit down rather than stand at desk. There was a lot to offer there. They have a nice spa on site. Oh they charge gratuities on everything which I did not know (including the room) so that you don't have to tip.... evidently some people don't want the hassle. I like to reward good service if it is good.

Room Tip: Ask for canyon and mountain views...not sure, but they all might be view rooms.
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family

Reviewed July 22, 2014 via mobile

Blah! My husband and I stayed here on our way between Vegas and Zion park. I thought this would be the best hotel of our trip, but it wasn't. This review if for the room and food only. Since we only stayed overnight, (and the temp was triple digits) we did not partake in any classes. We did, however, eat our meals there and were disappointed. They market it as a gourmet dining experience, but it wasn't. It was mediocre. We arrived within the last 30 minutes of lunchtime and everything was 86'd. Our room was also a complete letdown. Picture an old motel type feeling with a rattling wall a/c that you manually turn on, dirty carpets, and scratched up furniture. On the flip side, the grounds are beautiful and the landscape is stunning. In other reviews, people really enjoyed their time there. They seemed to be the ones doing a fitness program. Maybe the classes and sense of team spirit change one's perception. Sadly, we will never know because we wouldn't pay that kind of money to try it out again.

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed July 16, 2014

I planned this trip last minute and it was the best thing I have done for myself in a long time! I took part in the detox program while there and traveled alone. I made a few room requests and all of them were granted! My room was great, I had an excellent view and the room was comfortable and spacious. Their driver picked me up at the airport, helped me check in and drove me to my room. When I went to tip him, he kindly explained tips were included in the price, so tipping was not expected during the stay, so that was nice to know off the bat.

Although I was traveling alone, I NEVER felt lonely and that is what made this experience so awesome. I had the freedom of my own schedule, the space to relax and yet by the end of the week I felt like I knew the majority of the guests. Its an amazing opportunity to get to know people you otherwise wouldn't and that helps you grow and learn. You would be amazed at how friendly everyone was! Additionally, I met tons of other women traveling alone and most of them were like me, married women between 25-60 who just wanted to do something for themselves.

A typical day was wake up at 6, grab a quick breakfast, take a group hike from 7-10 (the hike levels and locations vary and the guides are knowledgeable so you learn really cool information), at 10:30 Id jump into a workout class, then Id have lunch, then you can go to the pool, take a hike solo or jump into workout classes and then at 5:30 I would have a group dinner. They offer group dinners twice a night and they are really great. You get seated at a table with others and get a chance to meet and interact with new people. If you prefer to dine alone, you can do that as well. I thought group dinners were really fun though. After dinner they usually had a class you could take and by the time it was over you are usually pretty dead tired from a productive day.

There were a couple of times I snuck off by myself and walked into snow canyon state park to hike solo for a few hours. I saw all sorts of neat animal tracks, sand dunes and mountains. One night on a full moon I grabbed a flashlight and took a midnight stroll by myself. When do you have a chance to be alone in a desert under a full moon? It was amazing. You can also borrow a bike and take a ride into the canyon.

I was doing the detox program which eliminates what feels like everything for 28 days. In the program you drank daily smoothies a couple of times a day and you picked food only marked "detox" for every meal. Additionally you received a lymphatic treatment, acupuncture and a general health consultation. They also send you home with two big jugs of powder to continue the smoothies and the information you need to survive on your own. The goal is then to slowly introduce back 1 item every 5 days and see if you have a reaction to it. What was hard about the program was that I was on vacation with this delicious food everywhere, most of which I couldn't eat. What I loved was that it kick starts your efforts to get off gluten, dairy, soy, sugar, etc. You learn alternative options, can take cooking classes, and it makes the transition easier. Im past the 28 day program but Ive made no gluten, refined sugar, casein, or soy a lifestyle now and appreciate the help jumping into that.

I was here for 7 nights and next time I would say 6 nights would be perfect. I couldn't recommend this place enough. If you think about the concept, its like being back in college and living (a more upscale) dorm life or like being at summer camp. You really do feel light hearted and open and its great for finding that balance that so often gets disturbed in everyday adult life. Ill be back!

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled solo
5  Thank PTO619
Reviewed July 10, 2014

I went for a solo retreat after suffering a personal loss in June, this was the perfect place for me to get away! My room was extremely clean and comfortable, with a beautiful water fountain right outside. The food was amazing! The grounds are well cared for and beautiful. My favorite thing as a solo traveller was the guided activities, that way I could have some time with others while still having some time for myself. The guides were all wonderful on both the paid and the free activities. I felt very taken care of my the staff, they will even pack you a "Happy Trails" lunch for your flight. I will definitely be back!

Stayed: June 2014, traveled solo
2  Thank tamii36
Reviewed June 28, 2014

The ugly.... I requested a mountain view room, got a "garden view" really? Really... with a suggestion that I check in the morning, maybe I could move, maybe. So I started off a bit frustrated. Then I decided I was not at Red Mountain to be a complainy pants. So for the 5 nights I was there, I didn't ask to change rooms but I sure as hell didn't go into the dungeon until I was ready for bed. About the room - bed was comfortable, I didn't mind brown carpet at all (even tho note to management, when you get ready to replace, go slate, like the bathroom throughout... just sayin') The Good - The tub was amazing! I took bath salts with me so a couple of times I had a nice relaxing bath. Loved it!

Food for breakfast was ok. Lunch much better and I loved the seafood choices for dinner (I had a meal included package) I prefer ordering from the menu breakfast, but they do not offer than until after 8am. I was ready to hike earlier than that. Stick to oatmeal, egg dish for protein. Vegetarian chili was wonderful at lunch. Southwest chicken salad.. a wow.

Most of the staff was awesome. Outstanding staff: Kelton - works at the restaurant. He was attentive, fast, pleasant and genuinely expressed interest in the customers. Dave, hike guide - wow... book with him. Boma, this guy knows everything about the southwest, flora, animals and indian culture. Ask for him for morning hikes. He is great.

Pools are great, do the free water zumba class if you have the opportunity. Fun and I felt it in my arms the next day - NICE.

I definitely will go back. Red Mountain Spa was a pleasant experience. Spa prices are typical high for hotel spas. Nice perk, not pretentious I repeat NOT PRETENTIOUS. Perfect.

And it goes without saying the area is aFUmazing. Beautiful beautiful beautiful. Go. Enjoy it. You wont regret it ~

Room Tip: Ask for a mountain view when you reserve, understand it may not happen. Keep cool, its not about the...
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
7  Thank HappyTraveler666
Reviewed June 26, 2014 via mobile

Spent 6 nights here and it was almost the perfect vacation. Adventure hikes are well-planned, Santa Clara 25 mile bike trip was fantastic, as was kayaking/paddle boarding. Only recommendation here would be to give guests more info up front about activities -- such as appropriate clothing to wear, how many miles, special conditions (such as walking 3 miles through water in the Zion Narrows). Spa treatments are excellent although spa facility feels (and is) a bit dated and small. Stayed in a villa, which was spacious and quiet (resort was half full). Wellness classes were great. Food was adequate, but not great. Portion size is good but selections are very limited; lunch (buffet) is especially weak. No need to dress up for any meal -- fitness clothes are quite acceptable. Friendly staff (except for weekend reception) and beautiful location. Can understand why many guests return again and again!

Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank LMN4002
Reviewed June 22, 2014

Well, I've been four (4) times. That just about says it all.

The challenging--but doable--hikes in the picturesque mountains are the perfect way to start each day. Whether you're looking to jump start a fitness regime or simply to clear your head of the pressures and stresses of life, the daily guided hikes are just what the doctor order. I needed both this last visit and was very, very pleased.

The Sagestone Spa is equally delightful. Treat yourself to a special scrub or massage. I did both and found bliss during my adobe lavender scrub and my hiker's massage.

Be warned, the rooms are in now way fancy. They're comfortable though.

Oh and the meals somehow manage to be gourmet and yet healthy. (How do they do that?)

Enjoy!

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled solo
2  Thank PinkNGreen
TWelshGeneralMgr, General Manager at Red Mountain Resort, responded to this reviewResponded June 23, 2014

Dear Pink & Green. Thank you for your loyalty - we appreciate it and look forward to welcoming you again.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Ivins
Inn on the Cliff
#13 of 43 in St. George
The Inn at Entrada
The Inn at Entrada
#1 of 43 in St. George

Been to Red Mountain Resort? Share your experiences!