“Fantastic hotel at a reasonable price” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Red Mountain Resort

Red Mountain Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Ivins
Boston, Massachusetts
“Fantastic hotel at a reasonable price”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2013

My daughter and I stayed at The Red Mountain Resort at the end of August, 2013. This hotel is located about 15 minutes from the Cedar City exit on Interstate 15. The hotel's backdrop is the vast expanse of red mountains and black lava rocks of Snow Canyon State Park. It is a gorgeous desert location. As far as the hotel, the front desk staff were friendly and incredibly helpful. The housekeeping staff located and mailed back to us some bracelets and a ring that we left in our room. The hotel room had comfortable beds and a huge, beautiful bath tub. The best part of the resort, though, are the three pools (2 outside and 1 indoor). I was very impressed with the location, staff, and amenities. I will definitely be back.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank KCB0930
TWelshGeneralMgr, General Manager at Red Mountain Resort, responded to this review, August 27, 2013
Dear KCB -
Thank you for taking your time to write about your stay at Red Mountain with your daughter. We do indeed hope that you will come visit again and are honored that you chose our resort when you traveled to Utah. Tracey Welsh

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (257)
US
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2013

This place aims to please. The staff was friendly and accommodating, sometimes thinking of things we needed before we even knew we needed them - like ice cold mint towels after a hike or a boxed lunch to take upon departure. Whether your goal is to relax, to detox, to get fit, to spend time in nature, or to find your center, you can achieve it at Red Mountain Resort. I was uncertain about eating at the same restaurant every day, but the menu was so diverse that it was no problem. The chefs do a great job in finding unique vegetarian options. The spa is incredibly calming, especially in the relaxation lounge.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank cinnimini
Dear Cinnimini,

Thank you so much for writing about your Red Mountain getaway. Our team motto is Inspiring Adventures, One Guest at a Time, so we do our best to meet your individual needs. I am glad that you experienced our restaurant Canyon Breeze, with its menu that changes daily. I do hope that you will visit us in the future.

Tracey Welsh
Marblehead, MA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2013

My husband and I spent 3 nights at RMR in late July. First of all, we had a great time. We both agreed that we would love to come back. It was relaxing and fun and a different type of travel experience. I was nervous about going at the hottest time of the year even though we are experienced southwest travelers who love the heat... But I shouldn't have worried. It was hot and sunny but never too much to enjoy what the resort offers. Going out for an early morning hike, indulging in the yummy, healthy food, choosing from a myriad of fitness classes, lounging by the pool, or taking refuge in the wonderful spa were all perfect pastimes for those beautiful hot summer days.

A few more details... I was in contact with the resort several times before our trip to arrange activities that required reservations. Tracy, the concierge I worked with, was helpful and responsive. I did feel like if I wasn't on top of things and initiating things myself we might have checked in with not much arranged and perhaps been shut out of things as a result. I think the resort should be proactive in reaching our to guests pre-arrival with specific questions and instructions. They did send a fairly generic guest email but after that it was pretty much up to me. Check in was a bit underwhelming. When you have traveled across the country and are going to spend a significant amount of money to stay, I feel that the guest welcome should be a priority. The woman at the desk was efficient but not welcoming or warm. No biggie, she sent us off to the correct room type with a map and all of the activity choices for the days we would be there. So it was fine but I do think that management could do some training to improve the initial guest/resort interaction.

We stayed in a king villa suite since I had read that the villa rooms tend to be newer/nicer, and in addition we like to spread out. It was a nice room, lacking a little something in the style department but spacious and comfortable for sure. One nice feature was having our own stackable washer/dryer in the unit. At a fitness resort, you definitely need to do wash! There are laundry facilities in site for all to use but it was a convenience having it right in our room. The villas surround their own pool, but I found it quite stark and sunny during the day. I usually walked to the other end of the property to use the pool near the spa, which had a nicer feel. At night the pool near our room was quite pleasant to take a quick dip. If I were going with friends or by myself I would stay in Turtle or Dragonfly. They look out on the lava fields and the red rocks beyond, and are very centrally located. The villa suites seemed better for a couple traveling together.

The food was good. We are foodies for sure, but we loved the ease and comfort of the buffet for breakfast and lunch. Dinner was really good too, and it was nice to have one meal that was more of a formal restaurant experience. You could choose to eat inside or out on several lovely patio areas. They had misters outside to cool things off when temps got toasty. In general, there was lots of variety and the food was fresh and healthy. The staff in the dining room was among the friendliest we encountered. They work hard and do a great job. One of the things I loved most about the dining experience at RMR was that you could come in hiking or workout clothes and fit right in, or come more dressed up and that was fine too. Super relaxing.

We both loved the guided hikes. We would set off at about 7:30 am with a group of hikers of similar abilities and each day of the week the guides would do a different hike. We always hike just the two of us, so it was a fun change to have it be a more group, social experience. Great scenery, exercise, and camaraderie. When we got back we would usually do a gentle yoga or stretch class, then clean up, have a relaxing lunch on the patio, and swim or nap or read for a bit. Then, off to fitness classes in the late afternoon-or perhaps a spa appointment! I LOVED the canyon hot stone massage. The spa was lovely, especially the relaxation room overlooking the lava field and red rocks in the distance. The spa is not huge but it is very nice, and I have been to quite a few.

I would have loved it if the resort offered some more activities or lectures in the evening after dinner. There is so much geology, desert ecology, and history in the area that it would have been a nice addition to hear from some local experts.

Overall we had a wonderful time at Red Mountain. I can see doing it again and maybe again; there is so much to do. I particularly enjoyed the fact that once there, we didn't get in our car once, didn't have to pack and unpack, didn't have to pick hikes, find trailheads, decide where to have dinner...all of this was done and it really allowed me to relax as I am the planner in our family. The only decisions were whether to go to the pool or a take fitness class or perhaps a
nap! We did the red mountain essential package which includes all meals and most activities and classes and it worked out great. I wouldn't consider doing a la carte because one of the great things about this type of vacation is the ease of it, and a la carte makes it just a bit less easy to chill. The staff was never confused since we were on what seems to be their most popular package so there were never those weird awkward moments when the staff tries to figure out whether you need to sign or not...we just never signed and it was blissfully easy. That was another factor in making meal times so pleasant. No waiting for a bill or straightening out confusion over a package.

If you're interested but need that little push, go. It is a fun, rewarding experience that you are sure to enjoy.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
13 Thank mrc25
Dear MRC25,

Thank you for your thoughtful and thorough review of your stay at Red Mountain Resort. I do appreciate that you found great value in our Essential Retreat package, as we have it designed so that you can indeed experience so much, stress free. Thank you also for mentioning Tracy Routh who helped to plan your stay.

I'll pass your great comments on to our team. I do hope we will see you for a future visit.

Tracey Welsh
Columbia, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2013

The entire resort experience was extremely relaxing! The room decor was nice, and right outside my door were the beautiful red mountains of Utah. Everything, from the daily activities to the meals, was just amazing. The morning hikes are a "must do".

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank loudsne
Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2013

I was looking for a top rated, budget conscious spa vacation last year (2012) and found everything I was looking for with Red Mountain Resort. From the minute I arrived I was welcomed by the staff, and the accommodations, activities, food and location far exceeded my expectations.

This resort was highly-rated by Conde Nast Traveler as a top 100 worldwide resort, and I can see why! If you are looking for an active spa vacation, that has the benefit of being all-inclusive, then this is for you. Red Mountain is especially welcoming to solo travelers, as I was on this trip.

With the selection of one of their special rates packages, not only are your meals included but you also have access to their fitness center, many of their excellent fitness classes, pools and bikes/biking trails both on and off the resort. They also offer guided hikes into the adjacent Snow Canyon State Park. The cuisine is renowned; their meals are fantastic - whole foods, fresh, healthy but never will you feel like you are on a "diet". They also offer a cookbook of many of their best recipes, if you are a cook I guarantee you'll want to bring a copy home!

They also offer luxury spa treatments, including massages, facials and other body treatments. As an added bonus for the solo traveler, they have a single hotel unit set aside that only has rooms for the solo traveler. This means you will never have to deal with large families in the room next door (or above you) if you are looking for some low-key, relaxing quiet time. The rooms themselves are palatial, and you may find yourself at times just wanting to relax in your own luxurious tub! Or, if you want to enjoy the fresh high desert air you can take a nap in one of the many hammocks that are scattered around the property.

Many visitors to Red Mountain Resort are repeat visitors, some of the other guests I spoke to or shared meals with come every year. I can't wait to go back there again myself - this is one of the best vacations I have ever had!

Room Tip: If you are a solo traveler ask to stay in one of their Dragonfly Solo rooms. Be sure to check out th...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank LinGrad
Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2013

I was promised a mountain view room and I got it!! Second floor in Dragonfly! Magnificent view of the mountains and lava field. The staff was extremely helpful and accommodating - allowing me a 1:00 checkout as my transportation did not pick me up until then. Greatly appreciated! The food was really good. Enough of a variety for 4 lunches and dinners. The classes were excellent! The hikes were unbelieveable with lots of "history" infused. I checked out a bike every day and rode to Snow Canyon, Kayenta and into Ivins and St George. Bike paths galore! Walked into Tuachan on Saturday morning (9-1) for the market with local vendors. Beautiful location. If you have a chance go. It's a highly recommended "destination spa"!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
5 Thank Jan0705
TWelshGeneralMgr, General Manager at Red Mountain Resort, responded to this review, August 5, 2013
Dear Jan0705,

Thank you for your review. I am so happy to read that you experienced so much of what Ivins has to offer, as well as Red Mountain. I hope that you will return in the future. Until then, I hope you have some great red rock memories! Tracey Welsh
Boston, Massachusetts
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2013

Just returned from a 3 night stay at Red Mountain--my best friend from college and I went to celebrate turning 40 this year, and since we both love the red rocks of Southern Utah, Red Mountain seemed the ideal place.

First, the misses.

1) Customer service is all over the place. There were one or two guest services staff that could be counted on to be helpful, but mostly we got answers like "I don't know" without any offer to follow up. The concierge was particularly poor in this regard--best example of several, we asked her what "Morning Stretch" class involved, and she picked up the same fitness brochure we already had, looked at it, and said, "It is a stretch, in the morning." (And she is supposedly the concierge!) An older gentleman on the staff also entered our room without knocking and said he was there to see if we'd checked out yet. (It was clearly not meant to be creepy, but it sure came off that way). One of the hiking guides was so condescending to a woman in our group that I never went on any guided hikes after that--his behavior was so rude that I didn't want my vacation ruined by having to witness that. Lastly, two times housekeeping entered our room without knocking, and one of those times the housekeeper proceeded into the room as if I wasn't even there. Clearly retraining is necessary.
2) Accomodations. Our first room smelled strongly of disinfectant and faced a parking lot despite that we'd paid for a mountain view room. We asked for a new room and got a second-floor room in the same building (Eagle, which I would not recommend). That room also smelled strongly of disinfectant and had such a loud a.c. unit that we ended up having our room just be hot most of the time--we kept our window open to air out the room and didn't want to listen to the loud a.c.. The bathtub was extremely high on the sides--I am 5'7 and in great physical shape and felt it was precarious to get in and out, so can only imagine what shorter folks or those with any physical limitations might find! Lastly, the room was not well-cleaned, either before we got there (we found receipts from other guests under the desk in plain view) or while we were there (no replacement of toiletries that had been used up, bath mats left instead of towels, etc--I also saw housekeeping place clean towels on the ground outside the rooms--ick.)
3) Pricing and package clarity. We had booked a Girlfriends Getaway package, which was to include $50 per day per person of resort credit. When we arrived, we were told it was actually only $50 per person for the duration of the stay. They "offered" us to add an additional $15 per day to our package and that we'd then be eligible for the $50 per day credit--which we did, since it made sense financially, but we had not booked that rate, and in the confirmation letter they sent us, there was no mention of what our benefits were for that rate. So, be forewarned--if you get a deal on the website, print out the site page to bring with you, otherwise you have no proof that the deal you got is the deal you got. We spoke with others in our classes and around the pool and this seemed a common occurrence.
4) The food. I am not a foodie type, so don't really care that much about this, but the food was almost exactly what my employer, a large research university, serves at our cafeteria--basic salad bar, basic buffet items, though with a lot of options for people avoiding gluten, dairy, nuts. The a la carte menu items were forgettable and after 9 pm, there was nowhere to buy snacks or other items. (Note: plan ahead and bring your own!) Lastly, the resort lacks a full liquor license, so the "cocktail menu" is wierd--drinks like red wine mixed with Sprite and lime juice to create a Cosmopolitan--not a big deal for me as a non-drinker but if you want a rum and Coke or a gin and tonic while on vacation, you won't get it here.

The hits.
1) The classes. Like others have said, it's like summer camp for adults. We LOVED the water aerobics classes--always thought that was something for grannies, but the grannies must know a lot more than we do because wow, what a workout! So much fun to splash around with the view of the red rocks and lava fields too. Also enjoyed the stretching and toning classes, though some of the instructors were better than others, and they don't tell you in advance who is teaching which class. The healthy cooking class was also interesting and we came away having learned some fun new things. We did Zion on our own so I can't speak to the guided tours there.
2) The spa. The spa is located in this funky building that looks like something from Star Wars, but wow, it is amazing. It has tons of treatment options and is such a nice facility! I had two massages and one body treatment (The Desert Agave scrub/wrap/massage, which I would HIGHLY recommend). Each therapist was terrific (I had Evelyn, Ria and Deborah, all just amazing). There is a small but nice locker room/steam room/shower area and a cool spa store on the top floor, and a really, really relaxing lounge area with comfy chairs, cucumber water and tea, and a wonderful view of the red rocks.
3) The other people there. I was glad to be there with one of my oldest and dearest friends, which was so fun, especially now that we live in different cities and are so busy. But the other people there were just great. It was mostly women in their 30s, 40s and 50s, many traveling alone. There were several mother-daughter pairings, and a few men who were there accompanying their wives. To a person everyone was really friendly, nice, and interesting. We really enjoyed getting to know them. I think it'd be a very easy place to have traveled solo.
4) The location. Oh Southern Utah, you are so beautiful with your red rocks and canyons and big blue sky! Red Mountain itself has pretty grounds (lots of little water features which contrast so nicely with the desert ambiance) and it is about a half mile or less to the entrance of Snow Canyon State Park. I went into Snow Canyon every day--either a bike ride, a jog or walk--just to take advantage!

Room Tip: Try to get a second floor room to take advantage of the views (otherwise odds are good you'll se...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank Marli P
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ivins
Inn on the Cliff
Crystal Inn Hotel & Suites St. George
Hampton Inn St. George
Hampton Inn St. George
#7 of 41 in St. George

Been to Red Mountain Resort? Share your experiences!