“Great place to get away”

Red Mountain Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Ivins
Reviewed May 29, 2013

This was my second year in a row at Red Mountain. This year I did Canyoneering in addition to trips to Zion and other hikes in Snow Canyon. The combination of the activities, the spa, and the fact that it's all inclusive makes it an incredible getaway, especially for the solo traveler!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank nikki545
Write a ReviewReviews (1,006)

Reviewed May 28, 2013

Great location, very good service, very good facilities and grounds. Stayed in a villa which was very nice and extremely spacious. Only meals we had there were breakfast which was an abundant buffet (and was included in our rate). Dining room is rather institutional-looking and uninviting, so we sat outside, and we passed on lunch and dinner. The whole restaurant layout and setup is very odd - looks more like a conference facility that later got partially converted to a restaurant. Spa TREATMENTS were excellent all around for our group of 4 (2 men, 2 women), but the spa FACILITY itself is exceptionally poor for a resort that bills itself as a spa destination. Men's facility in the spa consisted of one shower, and one toilet, and tiny steamroom. The men's facility was overly crowded with just 4 guys in there at once, all standing around waiting to shower. Women's had two showers, but there were probably 15 women trying to use it. Ridiculous. They need to completely redo, and expand significantly, the spa facility. It was fine to go to the spa to get a treatment and then leave, but apart from a small "relaxation room" (which was quite nice), there was nothing attractive about it the spa and no reason to linger. Note that the excellent gym is at the other end of the lengthy property. There is a pool and hot tub very near the spa, but it is the general resort pool so doesn't provide the kind of spa ambiance one would associate with a spa facility.

Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank dmoser
Reviewed May 28, 2013

I won a two night stay at this resort. I went with no expectations for a "freebie". I was pleasantly surprised. The rooms are nothing to jump up and down about, but if you can't find something to do here, you aren't looking. They have great exercise classes and other activities that are free, you just need to sign up. If you want to spend a little money, you can go on all kinds of adventures or have a spa day. Want to just relax by a pool - you can do that too! Not to mention you are in within hours of several national parks to visit. The food is typical spa food, healthy and smaller portions and a breakfast buffet comes with the room. I recently became a vegan and they were very happy to make anything vegan for me. It was awesome!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 27, 2013

After all the reviews I read on line I was excited to go to Red Mountain resort. I started my experience by being checked in over an hour and a half past check-in time. After travelling from 5 am in the morning this was not a good start. Red Mountain staff offered no compensation for this and no sincere apology. After checking the microwave which was dirty I wondered how much the room was actually cleaned and the second day it was obvious they hadn't properly cleaned one of the two bathrooms in the suite. The food was truly awful and by the final night there my friend and I opted to go off the resort to find food and passed on lunch on the last day as well as... Despite the food being bad - the restaurant was dingy and being in a truly beautiful location did not take advantage of the breathtaking scenery. I was never given a robe and I had to ask for one - which was a miniature size robe of what I saw everyone else on the resort in.

The resort is in an truly amazing location and the roster of activities are really good so much so I thought I would go back, but the more I thought about it and what I paid I need to find someplace else where the quality of service and food measure up. The other thing is the new very nice rooms in the villa (but questionably clean rooms) all faced the pool and not the mountain views...what were they thinking? The spa services were good but the change room was a sauna and made for a bad start and finish to the appointment. Compared to other spas I have been too I really didn't want to hang around after. After all the hype I read it really was disappointing.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
4  Thank limorex
Reviewed May 13, 2013

The location is pretty and the hiking is great. BUT, don't expect to eat for the entire time that you are there. The food is truly gross. Same sad salad bar for every meal and the resort recycles all the food from the prior day - - i.e. the bean soup the day before is turned into vegetarian bean patties the following day. One day, the "soup" for dinner was a banana-strawberry smoothie.

Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
7  Thank Darakay
TWelshGeneralMgr, General Manager at Red Mountain Resort, responded to this reviewResponded May 15, 2013

Dear Darakay,

I am glad to read that you enjoyed the hiking at Red Mountain Resort, at the same time quite disappointed to read that you did not like our menu or cuisine. I appreciate your specific comments. If you would like to correspond with me directly at twelsh@redmtn.com, I would be happy to further discuss your disappointment.

Tracey Welsh

Reviewed May 7, 2013

I spent five days at Red Mountain at the recommendation of a dear friend who was a convert to this desert oasis. It's easy to see why she made this an annual pilgrimage from Toronto every year.

From the moment I stepped out of the shuttle and breathed in the dry, cleansing desert air, I felt like I was home. It was my first time to the desert, outside of Vegas that is, and the colours are phenomenal.

The daily activities are plentiful, varied, and cater to all levels. I enjoyed first rate hiking at an advanced pace but also did an amazing meditation hike with Bud. Yoga, Cycling, aquafit, it's all yours to fit it...or you can spend some time in the spa or by the pool.

RMR is a not only has amazing staff and facilities, the food and accommodation are also great. Incredibly wide selection of food, all incredibly healthy and delicious...even by a foodie's standard.

I went as a solo traveller, but it's very easy to meet up with others at the communal table, or on hikes--or not-- it's up to you. I would go back in a heartbeat.

Room Tip: Dragonfly suites for singles are perfectly fine, I did also see one of the villas, which have their...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank Rachel H
TWelshGeneralMgr, General Manager at Red Mountain Resort, responded to this reviewResponded May 9, 2013

Dear Rachel,

We'd love to see you every year too! I hope that we will. Thank you for your review. Tracey Welsh

Reviewed May 7, 2013

RMR was recommended to me by a friend who stayed a couple of months prior to my visit. The employees were extremely nice, the food was amazing, and the activities/exercise classes were exactly what I needed. Many people were there to lose weight, but I went to relax and unwind. I traveled solo, so I was a bit worried about being there alone, but I felt extremely safe and the other travelers were great. I will definitely visit again!

Room Tip: I stayed in a Dragon Fly solo room. It was the perfect size for me and I enjoyed the fact I was in a...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank INeedAVacayStat
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ivins
Inn on the Cliff
Crystal Inn Hotel & Suites St. George
The Inn at Entrada
The Inn at Entrada
#1 of 43 in St. George

Been to Red Mountain Resort? Share your experiences!