“Some good, some not so good”

Red Mountain Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Ivins
Reviewed May 19, 2008

Red Mountain Spa is situated in a beautiful spot, on the edge of a state park. The grounds were lovely, and the staff was eager to please.

St. George's unbridled urban sprawl is creeping towards the resort.

My greatest grievance is that the spa visually markets/suggests that the buildings they depict in their ads are the buildings you stay in. You can stay in those, but they are the Residences and cost more to rent. They're privately owned and unless you pay extra you will actually stay in a nice, but not spectacular, room. These rooms are located in much older buildings designed more like dorms. Outside each room is are old yellow lights that the resort turns on each night. You can't keep your shades open with these lights on, and if you can't keep your shades open you can't wake up to the lovely views. I unscrewed the lightbulbs.

The pillows were not good. Too spongey. Beds were comfy. Air conditioners WAY too noisy. Not Zen.

When you arrive you get a guided tour. The guide gives you raffle tickets and if she pulls your ticket you win a prize, like a free massage, etc. But not everyone wins. So you can end the tour feeling like a punished kid. Not a great way to start your stay!

Hiking program is great. Food is lovely---wine is extra. Hammocks are wonderful. And, as I said, the staff really tries hard. I loved seeing that country, and it was over all a good time.

1  Thank PrincessandPea_8

Reviewed May 11, 2008

This was my first spa vacation so I can't make any comparisons. I was very happy with the resort, accommodations, activities and food service. In the six days/five nights I was at Red Mountain Spa, I went on three Trekker 2 hikes, took a variety of health and fitness classes, worked out in the weight room, read in a hammock and had two spa treatments. I was also able to walk to Snow Canyon State Park. This is not a "ritzy" resort. It's for down-to-earth, active people who want to enjoy the gorgeous scenery and have a healthful vacation. The food was delicious and plentiful, with posted nutritional information. The spa treatments were about the same as what I can get locally, though they were more expensive. The deluxe king room was really only large enough for one person. If I'd been traveling with a companion, there wouldn't have been enough storage space for clothing and luggage for two. Also, there was only a desk chair, and not enough space for a second chair in the room. A previous reviewer mentioned there was no door to the sink/tub area. There was a pocket door between the bedroom and bathroom (at least in my room), which may not have been obvious to that writer. All in all, this was a wonderful experience and I would return in a heartbeat. I met some truly interesting people by sitting at the community table for dinners. I loved being at a place where everyone (staff and guests) was smiling all the time.

Reviewed April 21, 2008

I did a lot of research on different destination spas before booking at Red Mountain. I finally decided to go to Red Mountain because the rooms are new and modern, it offered great hiking and lots of activities, and it was still much cheaper than other comparable spas. I was not disappointed.

I was able to get a new King Villa Suite with a bedroom, living room, kitchen, two balconies, two fireplaces, a large bathroom with separate tub and shower, and a second bathroom with shower. With all of that, I still paid several hundred dollars less than the small standard rooms at the other spas I considered.

Although the rooms are nice, Red Mountain does not attempt to be a 5 star resort. I would agree with some of the other reviewers who say it’s like a camp for adults. There is no turndown service, no room service, and none of the little extras of a 5 star resort. There was a robe in my room but no slippers. The room also had a coffee maker and coffee but no tea. Small things like the window shades could have been of better quality. The toiletries were nice but not the best. That being said, everything is new, modern, clean, and well-designed, and it offered excellent value for the price. Service is also very good.

The hikes, the food, the activities, and the spa treatments were all excellent. There were many returning guests, and everyone was very nice and friendly. It's a fun place with lots of things to do.

Some of the previous reviewers mentioned construction around the villas. That appears to be complete, and there was no construction while I was there.

I highly recommend Red Mountain. It is certainly worth the price.

Reviewed April 16, 2008

This is the best place to go in order to get away from it all. It was just an amazing place to be. This was the first trip that I took by mself, and to my surprise, there were many people who also traveled solo. They have a community dinner table if you don't want to eat by yourself. The morning hikes are the perfect way to start the day. There were many other activities that you could participate in if you choose or you could do nothing at all. I went horseback riding and kayaking (the first time for both). Those that are experienced may be a little bored by these activities, but they are perfect for the beginner. Many people are return visitors, and I'm certainly headed back.

Reviewed March 11, 2008

This was the best vacation I have ever been on. I have never been so relaxed and at peace. I never wanted to leave!!! For my first vacation by myself, I have no doubt this was as best choice I could have made. I meet the most fabulous people from all over the US.
Hikes: Every morning at 7:45-back at 11:00 , group of 10 people, three different levels, level 2 is around 3-5miles, elevation gain of up to 850 feet. Everyday a different location, all of them beautiful scenery.

Spa: Best Spa services I have ever received.

Staff: ALL of them are happy and efficent and genuinely love their jobs.

Service: Outstanding! Kudos to the Mangement and staff in every department.

Exercise classes: Lots of variety, things to do all day long.

Gym: Well laid out with good variety of equipment.

Food: Delicous and healthy with calorie and portion sizes plainly visable for anyone looking to lose weight.

Helpful hints:
They have laundry and ice machine in every building.
They have two water bottles in your room that you can fill up in the restaurant with ice and water.
Make dinner resos and sit at the "community" table, this was the most fun!
Drag yourself out of bed EVERY morning to go on the hikes they were amazing.
Print daily shedule from their website before you go so you have a rough idea of the activities and extra services you might want.
Go by yourself or with your husband or girlfriend this is a great place with alot of variety of activites, no one can be bored there.
Go to " Meet the Mustangs", and hug a wild horse.
Relax unwind and never want to go back to work.

I read somewhere when I was there "The Red Rocks get into your soul". I am now a believer. I can't wait to go back.

The Canadian with the "cute"accent

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled solo
3  Thank cutecanadianaccent
Reviewed February 4, 2008

This is my fifth visit to Red Mountain Spa and it amazes me that I could have a better time than the last time I visited!!! The staff can not do enough for you. As I have severe food allergies, the Chef, the kitchen staff and everyone else are just wonderful. I just can't say enough about all of the Red Mountain staff. I have been to almost every destination spa and I will return again and again to Red Mountain for both the facilities and mostly because of the staff. You get every ounce of your money's worth at this spa and then some :)

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled solo
1  Thank jodibeth
Reviewed December 31, 2007

This is one of the best vacations I have ever been on, and I went it alone. They offered so much for exercise for the people that never have exercised to the extremely athletic. I must admit I felt a little concerned at first when the word "spa" was in the title. I enjoy the spa, but really for me staying there was all about being outside in the beautiful surrounding desert. I love to recall riding bikes up mountains and giant rocks in the high desert and riding down screaming and laughing at the top of my lungs. I felt like a little kid again. It was so exciting, and so taxing on the body...it was wonderful and freeing. The yoga, the incredibly natural and healthy menu cooked better than anyone could possibly imagine, the red mountains that are meant to be climbed, biked and run upon. This was so wonderful, I plan on bringing my daughter here very soon.

It is memories of the Red Mountain Spa that get me through some very stressful days. I can just tune out, and I am there. It was definitely a gift that I will remember forever, and it was a gift to myself! :o)

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled solo
2  Thank Galileo321
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ivins
Inn on the Cliff
Hampton Inn St. George
#7 of 42 in St. George
Red Lion Hotel & Conference Center St. George
La Quinta Inn & Suites St. George

Been to Red Mountain Resort? Share your experiences!