“An oasis for mind and body”

Red Mountain Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Ivins
Reviewed May 7, 2013

I spent five days at Red Mountain at the recommendation of a dear friend who was a convert to this desert oasis. It's easy to see why she made this an annual pilgrimage from Toronto every year.

From the moment I stepped out of the shuttle and breathed in the dry, cleansing desert air, I felt like I was home. It was my first time to the desert, outside of Vegas that is, and the colours are phenomenal.

The daily activities are plentiful, varied, and cater to all levels. I enjoyed first rate hiking at an advanced pace but also did an amazing meditation hike with Bud. Yoga, Cycling, aquafit, it's all yours to fit it...or you can spend some time in the spa or by the pool.

RMR is a not only has amazing staff and facilities, the food and accommodation are also great. Incredibly wide selection of food, all incredibly healthy and delicious...even by a foodie's standard.

I went as a solo traveller, but it's very easy to meet up with others at the communal table, or on hikes--or not-- it's up to you. I would go back in a heartbeat.

Room Tip: Dragonfly suites for singles are perfectly fine, I did also see one of the villas, which have their...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank Rachel H
TWelshGeneralMgr, General Manager at Red Mountain Resort, responded to this reviewResponded May 9, 2013

Dear Rachel,

We'd love to see you every year too! I hope that we will. Thank you for your review. Tracey Welsh

Reviewed May 7, 2013

RMR was recommended to me by a friend who stayed a couple of months prior to my visit. The employees were extremely nice, the food was amazing, and the activities/exercise classes were exactly what I needed. Many people were there to lose weight, but I went to relax and unwind. I traveled solo, so I was a bit worried about being there alone, but I felt extremely safe and the other travelers were great. I will definitely visit again!

Room Tip: I stayed in a Dragon Fly solo room. It was the perfect size for me and I enjoyed the fact I was in a...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank INeedAVacayStat
Reviewed May 7, 2013

This wonderful destination spa surpassed my expectations in almost every way. I did not get a room in the building I requested, and I had major problems with the room key not working(which took 2 days to resolve), but other than that minor aggravation, the room was very large and comfortable in every way. I paid $3.00 extra per day to have a mini-refrigerator so I could have cold water and keep wine chilled, which worked out great. I found that the noise from the air conditioner provided great white noise and was not a problem. Housekeeping was fine for me. What I loved the most, was the flexibility of the entire staff and their desire to please. I and two other women were in between the fitness levels required for the Challenge hikes and the Endurance hikes-with Challenge being too easy and Endurance too difficult(be aware that these hikes are basically runs-up and down the mountains with little to no stopping for pictures and such. Challenge difficulty really depends on the leader of the group.) Anyway, the scheduler arranged for us to have a second guide who took those of us who wanted to do the Challenge/Endurance combo- for every hike that we did-it really MADE the experience for us. If you have food allergies, want to substitute items from one entree for another, want the massage to be deeper, want 2 desserts instead of one, want to buy a bottle of wine and take it to your room, OR leave it at the restaurant for the next night, or buy something at the Outdoor Store and charge it to your room-JUST ASK!!! I think the moto must be to never say no!!

I think it is worth saying that 90% of the guests were women, either alone or with friends, and most were at a good to great fitness level. For example, the woman who won Survivor was there and so were the people participating in the Iron Man triathalon. I think there are better choices for people who are going to a spa for weight loss. This is a VERY active spa, and the food, although healthy is buffet style for breakfast and lunch, AND they have a awesome pastry chef, who makes unbelievably good desserts(calorie count included) and cookies(that are not in any way low calorie!) These things could make it hard for someone to really diet, but for those who are burning up the calories-no problem!

Every hike was awesome, but do not miss the trip to Zion-just gorgeous and worth every penny that you pay. Others also raved about the Canyoneering trip. We hired a guide for the last day to take us on a private hike and for $79.00 each, it was a bargain. We went to Camel Back and it was great. All guides are wonderful, but a special thanks to Christin, Heidi, Toni and Gene for making our hikes so very special. Do not pass on the upgrade to get daily massages-they will keep you going. That massage and the stretching classes saved my life!

I found every fitness class to be excellent and the instructors are top notch-especially loved Cindy and her enthusiasm for Drums Alive, Bootyique, Cardio/Strength-all GREAT. Try new things and you will be rewarded with sore muscles but a new fitness level. Great pools too!

The food was great at times and others just ok for me, but there was a different menu every night and always a seafood and vegetarian choice. If all else fails, you can definitely fill up on the excellent bread, salad and soup. You can also ask for fresh fruit for dessert and there is always a sorbet if you want to go light.

I loved this spa and all the fabulous women that I met-such dynamic and interesting ladies! I am already planning my return next year!

Room Tip: Turtle and Eagle buildings are close to everything but on the back side have great views of the red...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank LATaz
Reviewed May 7, 2013 via mobile

My second time here. Went to celebrate my 40th birthday. Alone as my husband was taking care if our toddler twins. This is the kind of place you can feel safe and welcomed whether you are traveling alone or not.

I love that they have an adventure concierge desk that will plan your activities. I suggest doing this ahead of time for your maximum enjoyment. My first afternoon I was overwhelmed with all the choices! Literally mind boggling.

The guides and staff are true professionals who love what they do. It's like summer camp for adults.

Loved canyoneering, the free daily morning hikes, extended hikes, yoga outside on a mountain, spa services. On our first trip we bike rode into Zion for the day in the snow and it was an experience of a lifetime. I wasn't too crazy about the horseback riding. I was as busy as I could make myself! And loved every minute including unwinding in the outdoor meditation labyrinth. Speaking of which, if you don't have a meditation practice or are interested, I highly recommend Ian's meditation workshop.

The food is pretty good but we are talking spa food.

Overall I cannot wait to return again!!!

• Stayed: June 2012
1  Thank Zendiva

Thanks Zendiva for your review of Red Mountain Resort. I am glad that you liked Ian's Meditation Workshop and hope that you are benefitting from the practice in your busy life. We do hope to see you again. Tracey Welsh

Reviewed April 28, 2013

This place is the perfect retreat to get away from it all. While this stay was as a hotel type guest, not as a spa, it is easy to appreciate what the resort has to offer. Located near beautiful St. George, Utah the grounds of this resort are kept perfectly. It is an easy drive to many hikes, bike rides and scenic passages. The resort is very peaceful and quiet. There is a restaurant conveniently located in the center that serves a healthy buffets for breakfast lunch and dinner with additional entrees available for an additional cost. The room assigned was small and dark, it was cold in the day and hot at night as per the adobe construction, but the room is only a small part of the experience. The pool was very inviting and a nice place to meet other guests.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank vailaspen
TWelshGeneralMgr, General Manager at Red Mountain Resort, responded to this reviewResponded April 30, 2013

Dear VailAspen,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your Red Mountain visit. We hope that you will come again and experience many more of the options that we have available for our active guests. Tracey Welsh

Reviewed April 23, 2013

Beautiful location among the red rocks; just spectacular. Delicious healthy food including the desserts (almond milk cake, lime cheesecake) and fun wine-tini cocktails. Huge rooms with plenty of space to spread out and relax. Terrific spa; also try the Native American rock art walk with Boma, who's a real treasure -- so knowledgeable. Snow Canyon is just a couple of minutes away and breath-taking. The staff is ridiculously nice, too. Would love to go back.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank newyorkfam11
Reviewed April 22, 2013

I mean I could write for an hour and still not list every reason why someone should visit this place... from the room to room service, recreation desk to the guides, the spa, the fitness classes and instructors, the grounds, the atmosphere- it was all amazing! The only thing I regret is not writing everyone's name down, so I could list them here. Usually there are only one or two people that stand out, but the whole staff was freakishly nice and accommodating! Oh, and go horseback riding and get a massage. It costs extra, but worth way more than you pay!

Thank you Red Mountain for such a wonderful vacation!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Elisabeth B
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ivins
Inn on the Cliff
#13 of 43 in St. George
The Inn at Entrada
The Inn at Entrada
#1 of 43 in St. George

Been to Red Mountain Resort? Share your experiences!