“great gateaway in southern Utah”

Red Mountain Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Ivins
Reviewed November 7, 2012

We returned for our 9 yr wedding anniversary to our honeymoon spot in southern UT, we were not disappointed in the beautiful lodging and serene gounds of the spa. The access to outdoor adventures and the adventure consiegers our wonderful. Our only complete was the food. It was not as delicious as we had remembered especially the dinners. We went ala carte this visit which was good and bad the good part was we were not obligated to the lunch and dinner the bad past was there is just not many better options in St George. I'm hoping they beef up the kitchen because this adventure spa is the perfect getaway otherwise.

Room Tip: the villas are beautiful with a private pool
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank tishkb
TWelshGeneralMgr, General Manager at Red Mountain Resort, responded to this reviewResponded November 8, 2012

Hello AmyOMichigan. Thank you for your review and remarks on your stay. I appreciate your feedback on the food selections and we will be launching a new menu program soon, that you will get to experience on your next visit to Red Mountain.

Reviewed November 7, 2012

My husband and I just got back from 3 days at the Red Mountain Resort, and we loved it. We went there to celebrate our wedding anniversary, in a healthy way. This was my second trip and my husbands first. We stayed in a room facing the mountains, and found the room to be very nice. We did not expect opulence. The bath was updated with a granite sink and a deep soaking tub. I am not sure what more we could have wanted in a room. It had a large screen tv, that we turned on once, a desk, and a chair to relax in. When you are in such a magnificient place, with breathtaking views, who wants to spend much time in the room anyway?
There is so much to do, so many choices, I wish I had more time. My husband was very comfortable as there were a good number of men around as well. Each morning we went on a hike, and loved it. We had our own car and took a day to hike nearby at Zion National Park.
The staff was wonderful and friendly, really friendly!
As far as the food, my husband and I differ on opinion. I loved it! I tend to be more vegetarian while eating fish, and my husband prefers meat. We both found plenty to eat for breakfast and lunch, but he would have preferred more options for dinner. They did have a steak that he liked very much, but after 2 times, he would have preferred another option. The desserts were fabulous, that we definetly agreed on! I loved that the portions were a healthy size, not mega portions that no one really needs. We also used the option of a lunch to go. They had rollup sandwiches that we both loved. That being said, even though we both ate healthy, and I liked it more than he did, we both probably ate a little too much and gained a pound!
November was a wonderful time of year to go, not quite so busy. We hope to make this an annual trip

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank AmyoMichigan
Reviewed November 5, 2012

This is another resort where the rooms are large and comfortable, but not luxurious. In other words, don't expect anything like Enchantment Resort in Sedona. The staff is very helpful. We stayed there only because we wanted to see Zion and local attractions. We did not take advantage of any of the spa offerings. Our only complaint is that we found the food very ordinary. This is almost certainly the best place to stay in the area and the prices are reasonable.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank CT-and-JJ
Reviewed November 3, 2012

after a great trip in march 2012 ,we returned for 3 days in october 2012. All i can say is WOW. great accommodations (we stayed in a villa) terrific food(we were on the all-inclusive plan),helpful staff who strived to make the stay beyond my expectations.
there are so many activities that it's hard to decide what to do, Never a boring moment.
our first visit was life-changing(i have never been healthier in my life ) i will go back every chance i get.
if laying around drinking in the sun is your idea of a vacation,this is not your place.
if a full-moon hike at sunrise,then yoga than kayaking then tai chi on the rocks is,
book your trip today.
pricey but more than worth it

Room Tip: go for the villa if you can
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank traveleverychance
TWelshGeneralMgr, General Manager at Red Mountain Resort, responded to this reviewResponded November 5, 2012

Dear Travelseverychance! Thank you so much for visiting us twice in a year! Hope to see you again soon. Please know we appreciate your feedback and are constanting working to improve the experience at Red Mountain.

Reviewed November 3, 2012

I stayed here one week and loved my stay. It is a great place to relax, unwind, exercise and be at outdoors. There is eternal sunshine, heated pools. In fact there are three big pools with nearby jacuzzis in this place, one is covered. The views around are fantastic red rocks. Lots of exercise classes to choose from. Some instructors are excellent, some are not that good but you figure out who is good and who is not pretty quick anyway. Lots of excursions, meditations, spiritual guidance etc. There are wonderful hiking opportunities in nearby Snow Canyon. There is even a pretty hike on the grounds winding through the desert. This trail goes by an intriguing labyrinth which consists of 13 concentric circles spiraling into a focal point. A meditative walk in and out of this spiral labyrinth is a uniquely calming experience. The food is AMAZING, it was the best part of my stay. I have traveled to US many times, I even lived in NY for a year and ate at many different type of restaurants in many locations. The food here at RMR is one of the best if not the best food I had in US. It is exactly my kind of food. It is real, tasty, healthy, served in small portions, as low fat as possible without losing the essence of being actual food. I am neither vegetarian nor vegan, I don't like to restrict myself. I like to eat small amounts of all sorts of food and the food here was exceptional. Freshly prepared and very tasty. While I was contemplating to kidnap the chef so he could cook for me, it is shocking to read the bashing review for the food from Shannon below. I am not sure what kind of taste buds she has but there is enough variety here to please everyone, it is a pity she could not find anything to like. It is also interesting she compares this place with Miraval. This place costs only a fraction of what Miraval cost when you include the room, food and activities. RMR is also a more down to earth place rather than a posh, exclusive hangout for wealthy. The only critisim I could have for this place is, the most buildings are a bit outdated and have a run down feel to them. Although I stopped noticing this within a few hours after I arrived here and started to notice beautiful winding paths, leaves changing their color, shining sun, desert and Red Rocks surrounding the place. Getting back to the outdated look problem. This is particularly true for the classic rooms. I solved this problem by booking a villa room. More space, modern look, full windows etc. There was still a bit of a sound problem in my room as somehow this room was connected to the other room with a door. The combination of stone corridors and wood connecting door between the rooms create this unhindered sound transfer to the other room. If you make sure you get a room with no connecting doors, you will overcome this problem too. Other than that was a great room. Nice artwork, comfy armcahir, two sinks in the bath, lots of stone and marble, separate shower place, cozy fire place, two big wardrobes, outside sitting area with two sun chairs, all was good. I had a great time here and looking forward to come back here again soon.

Room Tip: Try to book a villa room if you can and make sure your room is not connected to the next with a wood...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank elinasia

Dear Elinasia, Thank you so much for your thorough review of Red Mountain. We do appreciate your feedback and appreciate that you did not abscond with our Chef! We are constantly working to improve the Red Mountain experience and hope that we will see you in the future.

Reviewed November 2, 2012

Spent 5 days here a couple weeks ago. Enjoyed the region and the experience.

The setting is splendid. Easy walk or bike ride to Snow Canyon and less than an hour to Zion National Park. We found the longer hikes to be better than the morning hikes. Unfortunately, when in a group, the pace settles to the slowest participant. Fortunately, one of my hikes ended up being solo which allowed for a more strenuous pace and terrain. The guide was outstanding. Sadly, the road bike ride was cancelled during our stay.

I found the fitness classes to be moderate. I prefer something with more intensity so opted for my own exercise routines instead. The gym facilities (weight room, studios) are especially nice with well maintained, modern equipment. Same for the pool that is nicely heated and sized for laps. We never experienced over-crowding in any of the facilities.

We paid for the package rate but if I did it again, we would opt for the a la carte pricing. After trying the packaged activities, we ended up doing many things on our own thus losing some value.

We enjoyed the dining experience. Food quality and portions are geared to the health conscious. While some of the choices could seem overly exotic, they were highly accommodating. My wife, for example, does not eat mushrooms and they adjusted the recipes. The dinner menu had just enough variety for our five days but probably would start to seem limiting for a much longer stay. Don't hesitate to order special items (eggs to order at breakfast, for example).

Spa facility was nice but not large. Massage and treatments were done by well trained professionals. I missed a few things (e.g. spa does not have a hot tub...although there are hot tubs near the pools). The waiting room is highly relaxing with a great view of the surrounding area. I found the music so relaxing that I obtained the artist name and bought the CD.

Don't expect much from the resort rooms. They are clean and adequate but, IMO, this was the one area where some modernizing is in order. Rooms are dark and unimpressive. Half the shower water never makes it to the shower head and gets wasted down the drain. The rooms that face grass and pathways seem a tad better than the ones that face the parking lot.

We brought our dog who was welcome throughout the property (on a leash). He even joined us at several meals (on the patio).

The staff is helpful and friendly.
I suspect that we will return one day.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Bruce S
Reviewed October 23, 2012 via mobile

An adult "summer camp " for all seasons. Whether you are traveling solo or with your favorite traveling companion this is a perfect get away. You will never feel crowded. Days start with excellent guided hiking for all levels,then on to your choices ... , aerobics, horses, Zion, weight training, cooking classes, biking, swimming , Canyoneering or just relax and enjoy the beautiful scenery and cozy hammocks placed around the property. Healthy food, exercise , relaxation and spa treatments there is something for everyone to reenergize and nourish your soul.
I have been to Red Mountain over the years almost every season and will continue to visit the wonderful haven for years to come. The staff is as sweet as they can be , the food is good and the beds cozy.

• Stayed: August 2012
1  Thank montanasalsa
TWelshGeneralMgr, General Manager at Red Mountain Resort, responded to this reviewResponded November 2, 2012

Thank you MontanaSalsa for your review and your loyalty to Red Mountain. I appreciate that you outlined what our guests can experience in a day at Red Mountain. We look foward to your return and always appreciate your feedback

Also consider these accommodations in or near Ivins
Inn on the Cliff
Hampton Inn St. George
#6 of 43 in St. George
7 mi away
Crystal Inn Hotel & Suites St. George

Been to Red Mountain Resort? Share your experiences!