“Relaxing, refreshing and superior service”

Red Mountain Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Ivins
Reviewed September 1, 2012

My husband and I learned about Red Mountain from an emailed travel deal. He had never been to the southwestern US and wanted to checkout the desert. I wanted to check out the spa! We were very pleasantly rewarded by our curiousity! We booked the all inclusive rate, which included three meals, morning hikes, some of the fitness center classes, some excursions, and even star gazing "tours." I enjoyed the t'ai chi on the rocks in the desert at sunset, woke up for the morning hike, water aerobics, stretching, and an all day hike out in Zion National Park with one of the resort's guides. I did not miss the spa, and would highly recommend their Adobe Lavender Hydrating Cocoon with the optional massage add on. I also enjoyed a spa pedicure when my Yoga on the rocks at sunset excursion was rained out. The hikes are great and their hiking guides are interesting and knowledgeable. Their spa employees are professional and emote a relaxing vibe. The facilities and accommodations are clean, well maintained, and modern further contributing to the calming tranquility that surrounds you at this resort.

I was more than impressed by their guest focus and delivery of exquisite service. Before we left for the airport to return home (on their complementary airport shuttle service) we enjoyed our last lunch in their fabulous restaurant. When I arrived at the airport I realized I had left my purse in the dining room. I called the resort and they confirmed that they had it. The manager himself drove it out to me at the airport thirty minutes away! I am very grateful to them for the way they handled my predicament. It truly shows how they go the extra mile to ensure a positive guest experience, literally.

Room Tip: We chose to skimp on the room so we could splurge on the spa and extras. We were very happy with ou...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank kittycraddock
TWelshGeneralMgr, General Manager at Red Mountain Resort, responded to this reviewResponded September 6, 2012

Dear Kitty,

We are delighted that you enjoyed your visit to Red Mountain Resort, and we hope that you will be a returning guest in the future. It was our pleasure to serve you, and glad that we were able to get your your purse on time! Tracey Welsh, General Manager

There are newer reviews for Red Mountain Resort

Reviewed August 23, 2012

Stayed here 2 nights with a group of 60. Desert resort surrounded by mountains. We did not have time to take advantage of any of the health activities - walks, classes, spa, or pool, but it looked like they had many activities to pick from. Breakfast buffet has mostly "healthy" offerings. Good variety but could use 1 or 2 meat choices. Steel-cut oatmeal, whole grain cereal were especially good. Staff was not quick to refill coffee. Had to go to the buffet & get it ourselves. Dinner was tasty, again with an emphasis on healthy ingredients. Salad bar was not tended to very well, especially during the group dinner. Ran out of several ingredients & had to ask to have them refilled. This resort is in a good location, about 45 minutes from Zion National Park, which is an amazing place! Air conditioning ran all the time, never shut off, which tended to disrupt sleep.

Room Tip: 1st floor best facing mountains
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank Viola60WinterHaven
Reviewed August 23, 2012

This was my first stay. The staff was delightful, full of recommendations to make my stay enjoyable. I was disappointed with the room which is basic at best, no refigerator, small but clean and comfortable. My TV reception was terrible. I wasn't here for the room or the TV but the opportunity to relax and unwind. That they did quite well. The list of activities is never ending, I highly recommend the Drums Alive class, it was a very fun way to burn some calories. I took a few classes and the instructors were wonderful, offering multiple ways to perform an exercise to make it appropriate for varying fitness levels. The pool is small but was never crowded. I received a wonderful massage at the spa and found the staff and setting very enjoyable. The meals were wonderful. Ok, for the most part they were "healthy" low in sugar, salt, and fats. That said I enjoyed trying new things and never felt like I didn't get a good meal. This is not the place to go if you are a meat and potato kind of eater.
Take time to walk the inspiration trail and enjoy the scenery in the area and relax in the hammocks in front of the rooms. I recommend you lay down at night and watch the stars come out.
While the map makes it appear that the grounds are spread out, you can easily reach all areas with a quick minute walk.

Room Tip: No elevators so choose a ground floor room if you want to avoid stairs.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank s0krm0m
Reviewed August 19, 2012 via mobile

Was expecting a much nicer room. No separtion from bathroom to room, although the toilet was in a long narrow closet. Would recommend staying here in cooler months. We faced the morning sun and my husband was unable to enjoy his morning coffee sitting outside. Our room was clean but extremely cold. I woke up with a sore throat the 2nd day. Inconvienent to bring up heavy luggage if you stay on the second floor.

• Stayed: August 2012
TWelshGeneralMgr, General Manager at Red Mountain Resort, responded to this reviewResponded August 22, 2012

Dear Congoula,

I do apologize that we missed the opportunity to offer you luggage assistance, as it is our standard to do so. I am also sorry that Red Mountain Resort didn't meet your expectations. Indeed our desert climate in Southern Utah can offer some hot summer afternoons, but we are rewarded with cooler mornings and evenings, great for hiking and biking year round.

Tracey Welsh, General Manager

Reviewed August 17, 2012

...the room on the second floor was small and hard to reach with heavy luggage. The thermostat was stuck on "pneumonia", but we had a comfortable bed with a soft lightweight comforter that made it bearable. The grounds were beautiful, but hard to maneuver in a vehicle, as well as on foot....signage and path lighting needs updating. Pool was great, along with a nice hot tub. Our unit overlooked the lava flows and mountains, and it was spectacular. The ice machine was tucked in a dark and out-of-place storage room, and I found it by calling the front desk. Overall, just ok, coulda been a lot better.

• Stayed: August 2012

Dear Ron from Pascagoula,

I do apologize that we missed the opportunity to assist with your luggage upon your arrival, as it is our standard to offer this assistance. Indeed our property is unique, as we strive to blend in with the beautiful red rocks and serene environment, however your feedback and perspective is appreciated.

Tracey Welsh - General Manager

Reviewed August 14, 2012

This was my third stay at RMR but the first with my husband. The first time, I went with a friend and the second alone.

The food remains good. Breakfast and lunch are buffet while dinner remains full-service. They do replace fat/salt with other herbs/seasonings (they have an herb garden near the dining room). DId I like everything, no. That is why it is a buffet and you get to try things. Dinner had 12 or so options standard and 3 specials everyday. My husband and I dod not have the same thing twice. We knew we were eating well with fresh ingredients. I also feel like the food can cater to any dietary issues one has. If you are gluten-free, Paleo, lactose-free, Whole 30....whatever, you can find food for you. Ask for Tatum during your dinner service she is great,

Others have commented that other guests around them have molded their stays. Unfortunately, this is a chance you take at a place like this. If you are looking for solace and a bacherlorette party is in for the weekend, it may color your stay. There was a mix of singles, couples and families during our stay.

The group hikes in the morning can be slowed by the "weakest link''. We tried to enjoy the surroundings are not concentrate on a slow hiker. Each hike is described when you sign-up but there is no fitness evaluation of each participant prior to the hike so you take a chance. If you want a specific hike at a specific pace, they provide maps of the local park or you can purchase a personal hike package.

Even at this third visit, I feel like the 3 meals, accomodation and included fitness make this a good deal when you can get it on sale. I would not pay the $350 per person/ per night I have seen others quote. Our room had a desk with a chair and a chair next to the bed in addition to the bed for sitting.

The fitness classes are good and the teachers are great motivators. There is a good mix of yoga, core, Zumba, TRX etc. If you are a yogi, the class may not be a challenge at first but work on your form in each pose. We can all improve and I am not above basic review. 45 minute classes are good for me especially since I took a few in a row somedays. I do agree with others that mats are not wiped down by all of the guests and hygiene should be addressed by the instrcutors during the cooldowns.

One thing I was disappointed by and did not expect was the general degradation of the rooms and buildings. Paint was cracking and not touched up. The rug in our room was coming up. The walls are thin and we did hear our neighbors which is something I had not noticed on my prior stays. Lack of general upkeep worries me about a future stay.

Also, during lunch and dinner service the salad dressings were mislabeled many, many times. Seems silly but slightly surprising when you expect the apple cider herb vinigarette and get the chili vinigarette. Spicy!

Also, our last day, we got bikes (which are free, first-come) at the outdoor recreation signout. The guy manning the desk, John, was less than helpful and seemed annoyed to get the bikes out. He did not ask where we were going, if we needed help etc. This is not the level of service you usually see here.

Overall, I will go back and would recommend it as a fitness and spa resort where you make your own experience.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in Turtle. You will be away from others are may get a mountain view.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank blondechickma
TWelshGeneralMgr, General Manager at Red Mountain Resort, responded to this reviewResponded August 17, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to write about your Red Mountain experience, and I am glad to see that you will consider us in the future. You made many excellent points about the experience and the variety of guests at the resort. I am disappointed that you found your room less than our standard, and we will check see that it is spruced up. Thank you, Tracey Welsh

Reviewed August 8, 2012

Spent 4 days at the resort with like-minded girlfriends. Good healthy food, cooking demonstrations, a wide variety of exercise classes. The accommodations were comfortable and clean; I didn't spend much time in my room. The Dragonfly Building has those loud air conditioning units; not sure about other buildings. Bring your own water bottle or Camelbak; the ones they provide leak like crazy. The daily guided hikes were the absolute highlight and I recommend them highly - all our hike guides were great fun and knowledgeable. Lots of outdoor hammocks for mid-afternoon naps, which were sorely needed amidst all the activity. The Inspired Serenity Package was a great value - included 4 spa treatments.

Room Tip: The Dragonfly building is older, but has solo rooms for a good rate. There are older and newer buil...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Jennifer G
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ivins
Inn on the Cliff
#7 of 43 in St. George
Clarion Suites
Clarion Suites
#11 of 43 in St. George

Been to Red Mountain Resort? Share your experiences!