“Construction! Avoid the villas!”

Red Mountain Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Ivins
Washington State
“Construction! Avoid the villas!”
Reviewed October 17, 2007

We stayed in a villa at a cost of more than $1500 a night for three guests and were surprised upon check in to learn that our villa suite view was completely obliterated by a construction site. Workers arrived promptly at 7am each morning, including Saturday, and began chucking drywall over second floor balconies to crash loudly to the ground below, etc.

When we registered our disappointment with the front desk, their response was "too bad".

Even if the construction were not taking place, I feel that this spa is overpriced for the level of service they offer.

• Liked — Fitness classes
  • Disliked — Poor service
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled with friends
6 Thank Aberdeen078

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (275)
Washington, DC
Reviewed October 7, 2007

I had a wonderful rejuvenating trip to Red Mountain. The hikes are definitely what sets this place apart from other locations. It's nice to eat healthy spa food and not worry about undoing all the exercise you've done through the day. The regular staff is friendly, attentive, and enthusiastic. The property is clean, attractive and well-maintained. The rooms have been upgraded recently, and while basic, are comfortable. I was never in mine except for sleeping, anyway. The spa was very nice -- every treatment I had was excellent.

I am a little disappointed that activities that used to be included now have an extra fee, but that's the way it goes.

• Liked — The hiking
  • Disliked — The drive from Las Vegas airport
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled with friends
3 Thank Mom_of_2_toddlers
Culver City, CA
Reviewed August 30, 2007

I went to Red Mountain for a much needed solo kid-free getaway August 12-17. I'm grateful to Tripadvisor for helping me decide on my destination. I live in LA, so for me it was an easy 6 hour drive (except for almost getting run off the road by an inattentive driver right before I got the Ivins, who ended up getting off at the same exit as me- she ran me right onto the shoulder without seeming to notice for quite awhile despite my furiously honking to get her attention...) That probably got my heart rate up as high as any of the hikes I went on at Red Mountain.

Anyway, the hikes are by far the best reason to stay here. I went on a level 2 hike every morning of my stay, and each was completely unique and unlike any hiking I had ever done on my own before, since the guides lead you all over, not just on well-defined trails. I've hiked to the bottom of the Grand Canyon, and the views in Snow Canyon are just as satisfying. My goal for each day was to get up and enjoy the hike, then while the rest of the day away with leisurely meals, reading, bathing, and massages. I met my goal every day, and then some, by adding activities I had not planned on such as horseback riding, going into Kayenta to visit the galleries, and getting an energy therapy session from Carolyn Cooper.

The hiking really is the star of each day. Unfortunately, with the temperature around 105 degrees every single day, being outside anytime after the hikes was pretty challenging, even with the dry heat. I did stay in a King Villa, because I wanted the whirlpool tub for my daily end of the day bath ritual (something I NEVER do at home), but was very disappointed upon arrival to find that the villas were all located right next to a vast, dust and noise producing and un-advertised construction site. I considered moving to a standard room, but didn't want to give up my bath. I felt strongly that the construction activity should have been disclosed before arrival. I probably would not have chosen Red Mountain if I had known. Overall, though, I did enjoy my stay. Others staying in the Villas were equally unhappy with the construction, and we found that if we complained enough, we were offered a $100 spa credit. All well and good, but this should have been offered to all Villa guests, not just complainers. Would have gone a long way to make complaining and getting upset less likely. Another Villa building also had their hot water turned off the day I checked out, and I would have been very unhappy if my building had been included in the water turn-off.

The room itself was very nice, and aside from the construction, my only minor quibbles would be: the toilet was in a room that did not benefit from the air conditioning, so was fairly hot and stuffy; the lack of free high speed internet access; and the CD player in the room turned out to be just an alarm clock CD, so my soothing music really couldn't reach the bathtub at soaking time unless I wanted to unplug the thing and reset it every time. Luckily the scented candles and bath powders I brought with me almost made up for the lack of music. I did hear several people who were staying in standard rooms complain about the noisy air conditioners interfering with their sleep, but this was never a problem in the Villas. I agree with the other reviewer who said the pillows were sub-par. It was strange to have hard pillows on an otherwise nice bed. I never had a problem with hearing noise from other rooms, just from the construction.

Other than the hikes, the other thing to recommend Red Mountain is the friendliness of the other guests, especially for those of us traveling alone. I really enjoyed meeting so many interesting people from all over the country and Canada. I was surprised that the majority of people came from far away. I had expected to meet more Southern Californians like myself, but I guess they chose to stay near the cool beaches instead of the sweltering desert!

I have not been to any of the higher end spas mentioned by other reviewers, but I have been to the Oaks at Ojai, which is very similar in style with 3 spa meals a day included as well as unlimited fitness classes. I very much enjoyed my stay at Ojai about 3 years ago, but found the hiking to be lacking. I went on a hike every morning I was there as well, but there are basically only 2 routes that they take you on, and that gets boring pretty fast. I would give the Oaks the edge on the food, though, as some of the food at Red Mountain seemed overly heavy or overly sweetened.

All in all, I would definitely recommend Red Mountain if you like hiking in spectacular surroundings. Call ahead and ask specifically if they are undergoing construction or anything else significant.

• Liked — the hiking
  • Disliked — the undisclosed construction right outside my room
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled solo
10 Thank amused2u
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed August 24, 2007

I chose a spa because i was travelling alone and I needed to find somewhere to go alone where i wouldn't get bored. My aunt (who has already stayed at Red Mountain, who is also a travel agent) recommended it to me. It's great because there are many activities to choose from throughout the day so you can do as much as you want or as little as you want. Every morning at 7:00am there are guided hikes in 3 different level. Although I am very active i chose to stick to level two because at level three you are litterally running throughout the entire hike. The guides know the area very well and when they take break, they give you information about the mountains you're on and about the area you're in. Throughout the day, there are several aerobic classes offered that are also great. The food was extremely healthy, very good. Breakfast and lunch is served buffet style ans dinner is served seated. Dinner sometimes had very small portions and the desert wasn't really much of a desert. I really tried to fill up at meal times because once they take it awayt the food, there isn't much to eat other then some fruit (if your luck). The spa offered an extensive list of treatments. I did have a massage everynight and i got a manicure and pedicure and body wrap. After all that I have to say that I was quite disappointed. They were OKAY... but just okay. I expected a lot more for the price and because i was staying at a spa. Most of the spa staff seamed inexperienced and a unprofessional. My massages were sometimes not very relaxing. But after a long day of working out, you take what you get. The great thing about the spa is that a lot of people do go alone which means you get to meat great people. At dinner time, there's a table called the captains table where most of the singles sit and mingle. You make friends throughout the day while hiking and doing excursions and at the aerobic classes and then you go back to your room alone and relax. The excursions offered were also very good and worth the money. I did rockclimbing and horseback riding. The rockclimbing was absolutely amazing and very challenging. Overall it was a good experience and I was never bored. I came back home feeling great and extremely healthy.

• Liked — The activities
  • Disliked — the spa treatments
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled solo
2 Thank kiwimango
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed August 19, 2007

I spent 4 wonderful days at Red Mountain with a childhood friend. We flew into Las Vegas separately from our respective cities on the east coast, and did the easy 2 hour drive to the resort. I would agree with the 2 last reviews so will keep it short. We were very happy with our room which was a good size, tastefully decorated and well set up for sharing with a friend; 2 comfy queen beds, 2 sinks and separate room for the toilet. Some guests in the luxury "villa" suites had rooms in a construction zone and were not too happy so you might want to check this when you book.

We thought the food was excellent and the dinner portions were adequate given the unlimited soup and salad. We both wanted to lose weight so we were happy (though we didn't lose weight!) The hikes were absolutely fantastic - we did level 2 which was plenty challenging for me. It would be nice if there were more "intermediate" levels eg. fast 2 and slower 2 but that's a minor issue. The scenery is spectacular. I really enjoyed the exercise classes. The spa was spotless and the spa services excellent. We booked an "Ultimate Pampering Package" including 6 spa treatments each.

The staff were helpful and friendly, lots of local kids and retirees but what they lacked in polish they made up for in charm.

This is not a "fancy" place but we thought it was excellent and great value. We both agreed that we'd love to go again (next year?)

By the way - While the women vastly outnumbered the men, there were men there with their women and they were also thoroughly enjoying themselves!

• Liked — Great hikes
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with friends
3 Thank Zoezer
East Coast
Reviewed August 19, 2007

I went to Red Mountain Spa in August '07 and did the Ultimate Spa Pampering package. The location was beautiful and the spa treatments were great. There were a lot of activities -- the spa offers kayaking, rock climbing, and trips to nearby Zion National Park. I highly recommend the rock climbing! The only thing that was slightly disappointing was that the cafe and restaurant were both closed for renovation during my stay and thus we had to eat in a conference room (albeit a nice conference room), and we were not prepared for that before our departure -- I believe the renovations are supposed to be done by the end of the month. The spa building itself is very nice - the robes are very nice and they have a relaxation area that is very comfortable and picturesque. Overall, I highly recommnend Red Mountain Spa for a relaxing yet adventurous vacation.

• Liked — Spa services and recreation
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with friends
4 Thank EastCoastRiva
Larchmont, New York
Reviewed August 7, 2007

I spent a weekend with my sister at Red Mountain Spa in July. I had never been to a destination spa, but have been to many "resort" spas and day spas. I consider the location a bit remote, a 2 hour drive from Las Vegas (from the east coast that is a long haul). We took the St. George Shuttle from the Las Vegas airport ($40 per person, each way), but others we met rented a car and had more flexibility. The shuttle runs approximately every 2 hours and you are advised to book in advance, good advice as the van was full both ways (cost is non-refundable). The van makes a stop in the town of St. George before arriving at the spa.

St. George is apparently a growing retirement destination and there are several gated communities in the vicinity of the spa. The spa itself blends nicely into the surrounding "red" mountains and is easy to get around (not too spread out). Our room was very comfortable -- good size, comfortable bed and bedding, double sink, separate stall bathroom. There are hammocks near the lodging rooms, a great place to relax in the early evening after the sun goes down and the heat of the day starts to subside.

Meals are included and the food is very health oriented -- lots of organic grains, fruits, vegetables, etc. You won't find bacon and eggs on the breakfast buffet! The salad bar was terrific (at lunch and dinner), other than that I found the food just ok. Dinner is served off a menu and portions are very small, although dinner includes soup and salad bar (as noted by another reviewer). Other than the fish of the day and vegetarian entree of the day the dinner menu stays the same. For 2 nights it was ok but for a longer stay it could get dull.

Access to the spa is via a narrow spiral staircase, almost like a ladder. The relaxation room of the spa is gorgeous, very comfortable chaise lounges and views of the red mountains. I had a facial and aromatherapy massage, both were very good. The locker/shower room was way too small for a spa of this size. There was only one bathroom stall in the women's locker room! There were 2 shower stalls and a steam room, all in a very small space. I recommend booking your spa treatments before you arrive, especially if you are having multiple treatments, as the most desirable time slots do book up.

Since it was 105+ degrees during our stay, our outdoor activities were limited. Although it was hot, there is not a drop of humidity, that also means no mosquitos at night! The spa gives you 2 refillable water bottles on arrival and recommends that you keep them with you during the day. I did the morning hike one day (7 am - 9:30 am) which was very nice. They offer 3 levels: 1, 2 and 3. We did level 1 which anyone of any age can do --it was not challenging at all, but very enjoyable and interesting. We were led by a very knowledgable guide and saw ancient Indian petroglyphs etched into the stones in the mountains. The fitness center is great, lots of classes of all types and levels to choose from. I enjoyed the morning stretch and body conditioning class. We also took a "poolates" class in the indoor pool. They have both an indoor and outdoor pool but it was simply too hot to sit by the outdoor pool.

Overall, this was a great place to get away from it all. It was peaceful, quiet and relaxing. There are plenty of activities to choose from, or just relax at the spa. Staff and guests alike were very friendly. There is a "no cell phone" policy on the premises, so you are basically restricted to your room for any communications to the outside world. I'm not sure I would go back (I prefer to try new destinations) but definitely recommend Red Mountain Spa.

• Liked — Beautiful surroundings, very good spa treatments.
  • Disliked — Food choices were somewhat limited.
  • Stayed July 2007
9 Thank Alm46
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ivins
Inn on the Cliff
La Quinta Inn & Suites St. George
Clarion Suites
Clarion Suites
#10 of 41 in St. George

Been to Red Mountain Resort? Share your experiences!