“Fantastic”

Movara Fitness Resort
Reviewed June 22, 2013

I figured it was time for me to get on here and write a review. I was at fitness ridge in Nov 2012 for 2 weeks. What an amazing experience.

I should start off by saying that I arrived with an injured knee. The trainers were great at offering alternative exercises to accommodate my injury. The only thing I would suggest to future guests is to let the trainers know of any injuries or issues you have before the class starts so they can keep an eye on you and offer solutions.

Hiking- I pushed myself really hard the first hike so based on my performance, I was put in a group that was a bit too challenging for me. I knew I couldn't keep up with that group every day on top of all of the other exercise classes so I spoke to the hiking manager and she put me down a group where I was more comfortable. The hikes were amazing, the guides were really great and they give you the right amount of encouragement so you accomplish more than you think you can but not too much that you can't handle it.

Food- incredible...I was never hungry and enjoyed everything that was served. If there is something on the menu you don't like, they have alternatives available....just ask.

Rooms- clean and comfortable...this is coming from a girl who only stays at 5 star hotels and I had nothing to complain about.

Staff- the cleaners, hiking guides, trainers, front counter staff, massage therapists and kitchen staff were incredible. They were all kind and supportive and made my stay really memorable. No one was pushy or made me do anything I wasn't comfortable with.

The biggest thing I can say is ASK FOR HELP if you need it. It is true that most activities are done in groups so they have to watch everyone and can't read your mind I'd something is wrong.

I have a two week credit and will be returning in november...I can't wait to go back. One of the best decisions I have made for myself.

• Stayed: November 2012
12  Thank travelbug2011__84

Reviewed June 18, 2013

I attended FR last spring and loved the hiking & great meals but the leadership of the organization is in it for your $$$ and lot's of them. The location is lovely but rooms very poor, noisy and the staff are intrusive. If you like group activities all the activities are done in large groups. There is no individual attention and the staff doesn't get it if you have a disability. They push you and you can easily hurt yourself trying to please the staff. This is absurd and is not safe in my opinion. Basically, they lay a guilt trip on you if you can't exercise 8 plus hours a day! The hiking staff is good but once again too pushy but I loved the mountains. The facility is less than clean, smells of fabreeze and they don't care if you have allergies to the chemicals they spray the facility with. Expensive for what you get in my opinion and I have a lot of other places I can spend my $$$ and improve my health. Afterwards, no follow-up except spending more $$$ and coming back.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
14  Thank debi221
Reviewed April 25, 2013

I like many people wanted to have the "Biggest Loser" experience like you see on tv. I arrived in Utah not knowing what to expect, but found the staff welcoming and encouraging of your success. They have hotel rooms that are acceptable, but not resort caliber. They have the daily meals measured out by calories and I can honestly say that I really did not feel hungry. An important thing I learned is that you need to balance your calories throughout the day instead of 2 really heavy meals and never get to the "full" stage or "hungry" stage. One thing that I did not think I would enjoy was hiking. I have had surgeries on my back and paralysis in one of my feet, so I was worried how I would maneuver up the rocky hills of Utah. I wore a calorie burn watch and quickly found that the 3-4 hours of hiking after breakfast burned the most calories and the feeling I got when I was able to get to the top of a hill (usually last) was exhilarating! When we came across an area that was a little slippery or hard to get across, I didn't have to ask but one of the guides would be right there to offer a hand. One thing I didn't expect is the bond I made with other guests was just amazing. It was like summer camp as we told our stories of why we were there and yes, tears did flow among the group. The trainers were amazing and encouraged us without bullying. If you need a jump start, this is a good place to do it. There are 2 reasons I am rating it a 4 instead of a 5. First... they have some tests that could aid in your weight loss, but they charge for them. For the cost of staying there, it would be nice if these were included. Second, the meal plan is never adjusted if you happen to be there for a long stay. Can you continue to lose weight? Yes, but regular measuring of body fat and adjusting to make sure you are not burning muscle would be healthier. Overall, I would recommend it for someone wanting to get a jump start.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
13  Thank Laurie59Boise
Reviewed April 25, 2013

My husband and I just returned from our first 1 week stay at Fitness Ridge and we can't wait to go back. The program is intense, and very structured, but they do everything they can to make sure everyone at any fitness level can participate. I have a torn meniscus in my knee and the trainers were always giving me modifications and making sure I didn’t make it worse than it was. I appreciated every moment of their time. Between the hikes, the fitness classes and the lectures we learned so much about how to take care of ourselves it was wonderful.

Others have described the program in detail in their reviews, so I will not go into it, but I will say that I left there feeling re-energized, rejuvenated, hopeful and empowered. Even with my injury I pushed myself beyond anything I had ever done before. I lost over 5 lbs in one week, hubby lost over 10 (grrr). We enjoy being in the gym and exercising, but this took it to a whole new level.
I must say that I did not have one complaint about the whole week. I enjoyed every second of every day, even when my muscles were complaining.

The massage we had on the Friday night was welcome and felt wonderful.
The food you may ask????? AMAZING, we enjoyed every bite of every meal.
If you are expecting a relaxing week sitting by the pool drinking lemonade then this may not be for you…BUT if you are looking to push yourself, get motivated to become healthy, make new friends and learn to take care of yourself…then by all means come here. We enjoyed it so much we are going back next year around the same time.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Vassar4
Reviewed March 16, 2013

What a great time I had at the BLR at Fitness Ridge. In a remote but comfortable location, I set about getting some time to work on my fitness and lose some weight. I met wonderful adults doing the same and although I worked hard daily, I had nightly spa treatments and massage and sleep to recharge. At the end of 2 weeks i lost 3 inches from my waist, and inch from each bust and hips. Once home I lost another 6.5 and still going. I met such amazing campers too...friends for life.
I am so much happier and fitter than when I left.
Tyler-massage therapist extraordinaire. Martin- a massage therapist with great knowledge of the athletes trouble areas. Krista Bart-MSW with insight and skills to help change. Billy, Kelli, Dennis, Colten, Slade and too many amazIng hiking guides to mention! Vigorous physical trainers....I hear it is the best BLR of all from those who have tried all. I hurt my foot and they transported me to the clinic for x-rays. SO nice.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
8  Thank KAYDUB66
Reviewed February 16, 2013

I stayed here in July of 2011. I stayed for 4 weeks. I not only lost 26 lbs while there, I lost another 25 when I got home. But it's more than just weight loss. I learned what I was capable of. I finally was able to move out of my comfort zone. This was a trip of a lifetime for me. It was at times unpleasant because stretching yourself always is and there was o e day that first week, Thursday, where I wanted to leave because being pushed out of my comfort zone was so foreign to me. But I stayed the course and made sure I took my journey. I took from it every single thing I needed to. It provides structure but allows you to make it your own. I will forever be grateful to Nicole, Jen, Sharon, Tiffany,Robin, Ann Marie, Sione and Nancy, Shenae and Paige who wouldn't allow me to quit on myself that Thursday afternoon. If you need to change your life this is the place. You have to do the work, but you will reap benefits for th rest of your life. Thanks Fitness Ridge Utah!!

Room Tip: First floor on the end is ideal.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
8  Thank Asweetcoolbreeze
Reviewed January 5, 2013

I registered for my week at Biggest Loser Resort/Fitness Ridge as a self-intervention. I was working an average of 12 hours a day, slept only 4-5 hours a night, had gained 40 pounds in one year, was drinking 2-4 cups of coffee daily and 2-4 glasses of wine every evening, AND also smoked 2 packs of cigarettes daily. Of course, I didn't exercise either, and was taking quite a bit of anxiety medication as well. I had just turned 50 and already felt old, fat, and tired.

My first couple of days with no cigarettes, caffeine, alcohol, with 6+ hours of exercise and a structured, though delicious, meal program were difficult but with the support of my new friends and the resort staff, I broke through all of my barriers. I learned great coping information and mechanisms through the daily lectures. This week was TRANSFORMATIONAL!

I no longer smoke or drink alcohol. I haven’t taken any anxiety medication since the day I arrived at the resort. I’ve averaged 8 hours of sleep each night. I have embraced my new lifestyle which includes stretching and an hour walk each day, a health club membership which allows me to take Zumba, Kick Boxing, Treading, and interval training classes. I have a different relationship with food now as I understand how to prepare and enjoy it for fuel rather than a means to appease my anxiety. My friends and family have all acknowledged that I not only look great but that I am more authentically positive than ever before.

Biggest Loser Resort/Fitness Ridge changed my life IN JUST ONE WEEK and I am excited about the new health and wellness goals I’ve set for myself. I can’t wait to return to the resort next year for a refresh –

Room Tip: Rooms on the end, on the second floor, will be quieter.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
12  Thank Annie A
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ivins
Best Western Plus Abbey Inn
La Quinta Inn & Suites St. George
Red Mountain Resort
Red Mountain Resort
#1 of 1 in Ivins

Been to Movara Fitness Resort? Share your experiences!