“Best Thing I Have Ever Done For Myself!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Ivins
Movara Fitness Resort
Denver, Colorado
“Best Thing I Have Ever Done For Myself!”
Reviewed February 16, 2013

I stayed here in July of 2011. I stayed for 4 weeks. I not only lost 26 lbs while there, I lost another 25 when I got home. But it's more than just weight loss. I learned what I was capable of. I finally was able to move out of my comfort zone. This was a trip of a lifetime for me. It was at times unpleasant because stretching yourself always is and there was o e day that first week, Thursday, where I wanted to leave because being pushed out of my comfort zone was so foreign to me. But I stayed the course and made sure I took my journey. I took from it every single thing I needed to. It provides structure but allows you to make it your own. I will forever be grateful to Nicole, Jen, Sharon, Tiffany,Robin, Ann Marie, Sione and Nancy, Shenae and Paige who wouldn't allow me to quit on myself that Thursday afternoon. If you need to change your life this is the place. You have to do the work, but you will reap benefits for th rest of your life. Thanks Fitness Ridge Utah!!

Room Tip: First floor on the end is ideal.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
8 Thank Asweetcoolbreeze

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
Reviewed January 5, 2013

I registered for my week at Biggest Loser Resort/Fitness Ridge as a self-intervention. I was working an average of 12 hours a day, slept only 4-5 hours a night, had gained 40 pounds in one year, was drinking 2-4 cups of coffee daily and 2-4 glasses of wine every evening, AND also smoked 2 packs of cigarettes daily. Of course, I didn't exercise either, and was taking quite a bit of anxiety medication as well. I had just turned 50 and already felt old, fat, and tired.

My first couple of days with no cigarettes, caffeine, alcohol, with 6+ hours of exercise and a structured, though delicious, meal program were difficult but with the support of my new friends and the resort staff, I broke through all of my barriers. I learned great coping information and mechanisms through the daily lectures. This week was TRANSFORMATIONAL!

I no longer smoke or drink alcohol. I haven’t taken any anxiety medication since the day I arrived at the resort. I’ve averaged 8 hours of sleep each night. I have embraced my new lifestyle which includes stretching and an hour walk each day, a health club membership which allows me to take Zumba, Kick Boxing, Treading, and interval training classes. I have a different relationship with food now as I understand how to prepare and enjoy it for fuel rather than a means to appease my anxiety. My friends and family have all acknowledged that I not only look great but that I am more authentically positive than ever before.

Biggest Loser Resort/Fitness Ridge changed my life IN JUST ONE WEEK and I am excited about the new health and wellness goals I’ve set for myself. I can’t wait to return to the resort next year for a refresh –

Room Tip: Rooms on the end, on the second floor, will be quieter.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
12 Thank Annie A
Charlotte, North Carolina, United States
Reviewed December 30, 2012

I just returned from my first week at Fitness Ridge and can't wait to go back. The program is intense...but all fitness levels are welcome and everyone benefits. Some basics for you to know:

The resort is small...it was great to have the resort staff and trainers all know my name (they take your photo the first day and everyone learns your name quickly!). 40 rooms in total--in my week, Christmas, there were about 50 of us.
If you're traveling alone or in a group, you'll have fun. I travelled alone and was paired with a roommate (to save $). I quickly met a bunch of other solo travelers and always had people to hang out with.
All fitness abilities / ages / genders welcome. We had people in our group that were trying to lose 100+ lbs and others who were training for marathons. Age ranged from 20s to 60s. Skewed female...but both solo and couple male travelers were present. Everything is 'mandatory' but easy to flex to your abilities / injuries. I noticed that the people there who were on week 2+ tended to 'make their own program' a bit.
You start the day with a 2.5 hour hike and then the rest is spent in the gym, pool, eating, and in educational sessions. (Very structured!!). On the first day you'll do an assessment hike and you'll be put in a group with similar hikers (but this was somewhat flexible...you can go up and down levels over the week if you need to...and there is always one hike on pavement (Stopsign) if you prefer). The hikes were my favorite part!
You won't really have any downtime (I didn't get to read any of the books I brought). Saturday is a lighter day...and Sunday is a day of rest.
The Spa is nice...book your appointments early as prime spots fill up. (I'd recommend a 7:00 pm time...any later and you already want to be in bed). I had two deep tissue massages...and they were both great!
No need to bring any real clothes...you'll spend the entire week in workout clothes.
There is no coffee on site.
The food is fantastic!!! But a very strict 1500 calories. They'll customize your meals to whatever weird restrictions you have...but it's all very tasty.
I flew into St. George...but next time I'll just fly into Vegas. The taxi from the St. George airport is more expensive than the shuttle from Vegas.
Bring a camelbak and blister remedies...you'll need both.
The staff is extremely knowledgable and helpful...come with lots of questions for the trainers and nutritionists!!!
The rooms are basic...but have everything you need (including a handy laundry basket to throw all of your dirty clothes in)

As you can tell...I loved my week. You probably won't have as good as time as I did if you are entitled or expect Canyon Ranch accomodations or service levels... Just go with the flow, relax, work had, and have fun!! You won't regret it!

Room Tip: First and second floor rooms available.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
14 Thank Marissa F
Halton Hills, Canada
Reviewed November 24, 2012

I agree with some reviewers, the program is hard, but worth it (as is any respectable weight loss/fitness program). The best part of the 2 week experience was the morning hikes (which the resort uses a 3rd party company) and interestingly enough, it was the one thing I dreaded before going. I now enjoy long walks versus driving when I have anything more than a 5 minute walk to get somewhere. I was fortunate and had really good guides who were conscious of my level of expertise and educated anyone who needed it on the proper method to climb or descend on our climbs to avoid injury. I expect that all hiking guides would be just as conscious.

My concern with respect to the in-house programme is that not enough attention was given to each of us as individuals. Basic fundamentals like blood pressure, a 15 minute Q&A on overall health, a RMR and V02 test, etc. should be included as part of the program when you start so that I would be aware of the basic expectations like how many calories does my body burn when at rest in order to better understand proper food intake to calorie burn in my work outs in order to achieve a feasible goal. Other weight loss/fitness resorts offer this as part of their basic package for similar fees and even less (yes, others do cost more). In addition, a lot of time is wasted in a class if you are unable to perform a certain exercise because no time is taken in advance to review injuries or limitations to movement (due to surgery or other reason) and what should be a one hour work out becomes 30 minutes because you are asking for instructions on alternate methods while others are working out. There are over 30 pieces of equipment in the gym and they provide a 20-30 minute review of the equipment to a group of 20+ individuals. If you have never been in a gym, it is quite over whelming. I was told that instructors would be available if you wanted extra time to review and I asked multiple times for extra time (which you pay for) and they either forgot or just didn't want to extend themselves.

The nutrition portion for me is a double edged sword. The nutritionist is very good, personable and very approachable. I really enjoyed her lectures and extra time she offered. The menu on the other hand is average and needs a lot of improvement if you want to motivate people to eat healthy. Simple things like serving a hot soup when it is 95 degrees outside; how about a gazpacho? There also seemed to be a divide in the education of servers to kitchen on the difference between a food allergy and "she doesn't like ...". I have food allergies and it took the first 10 of my 14 days for them to get it right, which became frustrating and also impacted my ability to be 100% into my workouts because I was not feeling well.

Finally, the accommodations (your room) was average. They need some serious upgrading. The mattress and linens were of good quality and this made it easy to rest; however, the bathrooms, carpets, etc. need an overhaul. We had incidents of scorpions entering the rooms or in the corridors which is common for the area but frightening for some guests.

I went based on the reviews, last minute availability and price. I was in the middle of a transition and thought it was an opportunity to kick start a fitness routine that I could take home with me along with good nutrition. I also needed a validity check on my own commitment to moving forward with learning to be more fit. I got this and this was because I went in with an open mind and the willingness to learn and move forward in my own life. A year ago, you could have paid me $1,000,000 to lose 10 pounds and I would have failed because I did not have it in me to commit to the weight loss and bribing was not going to be effective. I knew when I started that I was mentally ready to start and I used the resort as my starting point. This is why I stayed for 2 weeks because I felt that with the first week, I would be focused on "breaking in" the routine and becoming comfortable with the challenges and the second week I would be more relaxed and able to focus on the tasks at hand.

In case you are interested, I did submit my feedback while I was at the resort as well as complete a survey. No response.

I would definitely incorporate a fitness week into my annual vacation schedule; however, I am not sure I would return to this resort as I am tempted to try another one for a similar price which offers better accommodations and hopefully a better menu.

Room Tip: All of the rooms are the same; however, if you want to minimize having outside visitors enter your r...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
25 Thank Tetta14
Madison, Alabama
Reviewed October 13, 2012

Booking my stay at the Biggest loser resort started out very disappointing. I am aware that they typically offer Groupon savings so I asked if there was a current or up coming groupon deal. They told me there was nothing current and nothing coming in the near future. Since I was told there were no specials I went ahead and booked that day. Just a couple days later there was a groupon deal. I called back to ask about getting the deal and explained that I had specifically asked about the promotion. Some of the employees I spoke with, non managers, said the company forbids them to tell customers about promotions, even if they know once is coming the very next day. When I spoke with management, they basically said they were not concerned about the situation and would do nothing for me. Very disappointed and frustrated with this company and I haven't even got there yet.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
28 Thank Jhoffroad
St. Albert, Canada
Reviewed June 1, 2012

I visited the Biggest Loser Fitness Ridge three weeks ago, spent one week on-site. What a fabulous experience. My favorite, well there are many, but on the top of the list, were the hikes. I was not a big fan of hiking until Fitness Ridge showed me that hiking can an incredible experience. The staff in every department, kitchen, housekeeping, front desk, spa services, hiking guides and fitness staff are nothing but the best of the best. I recommend Fitness Ridge 100%. I haven't felt this strong and confident in a very long time. Thank you Fitness Ridge Staff for giving me the kick I needed.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
12 Thank ILoveTooTravel
Bountiful, Utah
Reviewed April 12, 2012

I spent a week at the BL Fitness Ridge in Utah last week. It was a truly life changing experience The staff was amazing, the hikes and workouts were to die for and the food was unbelievable. Many were there for a month or more. I wish I could have stayed longer but it was really great and we will go back often.

• Stayed April 2012
10 Thank FatherOfEight
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ivins
Inn on the Cliff
Hampton Inn St. George
#6 of 41 in St. George
Wingate by Wyndham St. George
Best Western Plus Abbey Inn

Been to Movara Fitness Resort? Share your experiences!