“shabby, noisy plumbing, rubbish breakfast - but comfy bed & good wifi”
Review of EconoLodge

EconoLodge
Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Hurricane
Wellington, New Zealand
“shabby, noisy plumbing, rubbish breakfast - but comfy bed & good wifi”
Reviewed November 20, 2009

We wanted somewhere nearish to Zion National Park - about 27 miles from here (we'd come from Bryce national Park)
It didn't bode well when I arrived at 7pm and found the door to the hotel locked. But we booked for two nights (having driven as far as we were going to that day) and went to our room.
It had all the things you'd expect - a big bed, a TV, coffee maker, fridge, microwave, desk.

But the headboard was set up for a smaller bed - so there were electric sockets behind one of the pillows. The next day daylight revelad holes in the curtains. There were nails sticking out of the wooden surround of the door. The plumbing was incredibly noisy.

There is a guest 'laundry' (one washer, one dryer outside - $2.50 each, twice the price I've paid previously, but it did get dry in one go).

Breakfast was juice, coffee, cheap nasty 'value bread' to put in the toaster, and fruit loops.

On the plus side the bed was comfy, the room was clean and the wifi was fairly quick (useful when you are uploading to flickr every evening!)
It's a very short walk to several fast food chains - pizza, taco, etc.
My 'not recommend' isn't particularly because it was bad, but because it wasn't good.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank JacqiB

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
logan utah
Reviewed June 18, 2009

Okay, the price was right. There was a usable pool and hot tub. The teens used the hot tub both nights and seemed to enjoy it. In another review, one person called the place "retro", but with the pool and hot tub out in the parking lot overlooking the street, I would say the place is all 1950's original. Other reviewers warned us about the "breakfast", but I did not believe it until I saw it. An old guest room had been changed into the breakfast room; there was only seating for 12 people. They had two kinds of cereal, juice, a few English muffins, a loaf of bread and toasters that did not work! You need a lot of bread to prepare you to hike through Zion National Park. The room slept 4, but we were only given three very thin towels, and there were no pool towels. Oh well, the towel bar in the bathroom was broken, so there was no place to hang them anyway.
I guess I have to say I would recommend the place, as it was pretty clean and there were no bugs, etc. But it is minimal!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank hockeymom75
Amsterdam, Netherlands
Reviewed May 30, 2009

We stayed one night in this Travelodge.
When we checked in, we asked the manager if there was a free guest-computer. The answer was yes.
Later that day we used the computer for about 45 minutes, when the wife of the manager told us that she would charge $2 per 30 minutes.
To make a long story short: these people are cheaters, they promise you free internet and charge later on. They're also very rude, and impolite.
Definitely would nobody recommend staying in their noisy, unfriendly motel.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank TravelerinUSA
St. Francis, MN
Reviewed May 25, 2009

My mother and I stayed here for 3 nights on our vacation to Zion National Park. I wasn't sure what to expect after reading some of the reviews here, but I was pleasantly surprised. We didn't use the pool or try the continental breakfast, so I can't speak to those, but the room was clean and comfortable, the service was friendly and the price was great. As for location, it was about a half hour drive to Zion, but we knew that before making the reservations and the drive is beautiful. The Travelodge is located right on the main highway through Hurricane, so it was very easy to find. And Hurricane has plenty of fast food and Lin's grocery store has wonderful donuts! We found the Travelodge a great place to stay and would definately go back.

• Stayed April 2009
Germany
Reviewed April 22, 2009

We would like to stay for 1 night and as I tried to sleep the bedlinen moved and the hole mattress was with fleas and other insects. Certainly my boyfriend checked his bed and it was exactly the same. We moved all our belongings and moved to the receiptionist. She would have given as a different room - unfortunately the whole hotel didn't have water - maybe again in the morning. This was it - I requested a different hotel and was fortunately removed to the Rodeway Inn - were I took I long shower to remove all insects - just disgusting. I never had such bad experiences in a hotel in my whole life and I am travelling a lot.

Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank TravellerGermany9
Cedar Hills
Reviewed April 19, 2009

We stayed there a couple nights, the website is completely dishonest. They made the pool look huge but when we got there I mistook it as a hot-tub but no the hot-tub was right next to it. And it was in the middle of the parking lot close to the street.
The teal/turquoise doors were cool, I liked the retro. But the bedding kept slipping off from beneath us and it just wasn't very good.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank maurine3
Costa Mesa, California
Reviewed September 30, 2008

Hotel is very retro, however not on purpose, it's just still looks like it did 30 years ago. Room was clean and we slept fine. Continental breakfast was a joke. They had loaves of white bread, the generic grocery store brand, displayed in an acrylic case, one flavor of jelly, watered down orange juice and coffee. Those were ALL the options. We had a good laugh and then headed to find food before we got back on the road.

• Liked — How "retro" the building was
  • Disliked — The continental breakfast
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hurricane
Quality Inn Zion
Holiday Inn Express Springdale - Zion Natl Pk Area
Zion Ponderosa Ranch Resort
Zion Ponderosa Ranch Resort
#2 of 2 in Zion National Park

Been to EconoLodge? Share your experiences!