“You get what you pay for . .” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Travelodge Hurricane Zion National Park Area

Travelodge Hurricane Zion National Park Area
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Hurricane

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Hurricane
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 20, 2013

Stayed here for two nights while visiting Zion National Park. I was put in an upstairs room in the second building in the back. The rooms were large; two queen beds with night-stand in-between, and a decent sized desk with two chairs as well as the standard dressers, etc. It was not cramped.

There was a TV but is was the old tube kind - no flat screen here. The remote for it worked poorly and the channels did not match what was on the guide-card in the room.

The beds were acceptable. The first night I was a little uncomfortable, but the second night after a day of strenuous hiking I slept solid until late morning.

When people walk by the room or talk on the landing outside I could hear them very clearly. Sound was not muted much even with the door and windows closed - but I find this to be common among most places like this. Makes it hard when you want to go to sleep early.

The continental breakfast was fantastic. They had a waffle iron for making your own waffles. The orange and apple juice were in dispensers and not open jugs like most places, and this kept them fresh. Only two selections for cereal but the milk was kept in a fridge so it too was fresh. I was really impressed with this place's continental breakfast.

Overall I found this Travelodge location to be a very good value considering the price I paid.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Mount Pleasant, Utah
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 19, 2013

Great Trip. Good Motel. Old school, but good. Reminded me of the motels we stayed in when I was a kid. Fridge and coffee maker are always a plus! A Bigger bed would have been great. :) Lots of Restaurants located nearby. Got there about 7pm but didn't seem to be a problem.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 12, 2013

Hurricane is, in this experienced reviewers opinion, the best place to base yourself out of it you are going to spend serious time in Zion National Park. Towns on the edge of the park itself tend to lean towards the outrageously expensive and for an extra 20 mins in the car, why bother with the premium. I shamelessly picked the Travelodge on price point and the above described accessibility.

My initial thoughts on the hotel? “Would Return”. Usual format for my reviews: discussion of the room itself, the good, the bad, the conclusion. In short, this hotel is cheap. But whilst cheap tends to conjure up all manner of negativity, this hotel manages to avoid most of those pitfalls. The room itself was clean, functional, albeit dated. Uber-Styled this place is not. Think minimalist 1980s chic. Basic furniture, basic bathroom, basic bed, basic TV. It is aimed at a price point, and I think it meets that handily. There was a fridge, microwave and TV with a handy channel package. Ample parking available. Very little street noise (though that will be room dependent: West State Street is the main street and trucks rumble through all night to access the I15.) There’s a pool and plenty of storage. There is no in room safe, and the coffee maker is from 1982 with one coffee satchet. That said, given why you are in Hurricane (and the town itself is nice, but you are there for Zion and other outdoor activities) it more than fits the bill and easily exceeds price point. Breakfast is (usually) included, but I left before it was served thus have no view on that.

The good? In no particular order
1. Location. Downtown Hurricane. You can walk half a mile to most things. There is a shop across the street, plenty of fast food options within easy striking distance and plenty of convenient service stations and repair shops nearby. The main strip is State Street and you will be on the western side (ie: in the direction of Zion). Apart from which, most people who come to Hurricane will have transport.
2. Price point. I got a good deal through Orbitz. Competition in town for hotels is fierce with plenty of budget operators around. They are all clustered on or around State Street, tho most are closer towards the I15 than Zion.. I was there in low season. Watch for deals.
3. Front office. Manners cost nothing and hotels are a service game. Hosts – and this is subjective – were friendly and functional. They knew the town and were available for questions.
4. Free Wifi. Why can cheaper hotels get this right whilst Five star hotels can not and charge plenty for the privelege?

The bad? I actually struggled to come up with some counter points. Let me state they are small and can be managed around, if you know ahead of time.
1. I stayed in February and based on cars, the occupancy was 30%. Why put all so close together? I don’t know either, which leads to point 2.
2. Walls are quite thin. I heard my neighbors showering. Not ideal. Not a deal breaker for me but it bears consideration.
3. Free wifi is great. The rub is most times, speeds are akin to dial up. Remember I was here in low season and speeds were (quite) slow. Perhaps you cell service works here and may be quicker. Provision is one thing; adequate provision may be another. Perhaps a room closer to the office may have better speeds but then..
4. Noise. Let me stress it was NOT an issue for me: I was in Room 208, about 70 yards from the road. If you are a sensitive sleeper, ask for one furtherest away from the road. That said, it is rural Utah. Stunning. But road access is limited, so I view this as unavoidable. Bring ear plugs if you think this will be a problem.
5. Taps. I mentioned the décor was 1980s chic. The taps I had were akin to those found in Mens Restrooms at airports: you pull out to get water and you have to guess which was is hot.

Conclusion? The good for me far outweighed the bad. The location and price point far outweighed anything else. At the end of the day, it is what you regard as important: for me, 20 min drive to Zion and a nice, albeit basic, place to come back to fit the bill. Given there are several alternative options aimed at the budget traveler, I would give this property my strongest endorsement: I would return to it when I return to Zion.

Room Tip: Ask for upstairs, away from the road if you are a light sleeper.