“Good place to stay when visiting Zion”
Review of Rodeway Inn

Rodeway Inn
Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Hurricane
Reviewed September 21, 2010

If you are visiting Zion National Park and can't get a room in Springdale, consider staying in Hurricane. The rooms were very big and clean. The pool area was great. We played cards on the patio and enjoyed the sunset. It would have been nice if the rooms were $20.00 cheaper, but the place filled up fast on a Friday night so I guess they can get away with charging a little more.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with friends

Reviewed July 23, 2010

We needed to find an affordable place to stay not too far from Zion National Park at the last minute. We searched on-line for a certain price range (under $60/night) and Rodeway Inn popped up. It had many great reviews, all of which held true. The rooms were clean and quiet. The bed was extremely comfortable and the linens and towels had a nice fresh fragrance. Being an employee of Hilton hotels, we normally stay at upper end places and have high standards. The Rodeway Inn was a bit outdated in style and appliances, but we found it to be comfortable and were very pleasantly surprised and satisfied!

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank 9smiles9
Reviewed June 21, 2010

I shall start with the good things about this place. The motel looks nice externally, the pool area looks good, the room was relatively clean and they had left the air con on in the room so it was nice and cool. Now the bad things. The woman on reception was rude, spoke poor English and was more interested in talking into a portable radio than talking to me which resulted in her trying to charge me again for a pre paid room. The decor of the room was in a poor state, the table had holes in it, the shower was hanging off the wall and only dribbled out. The bed was awful I have had more comfortable nights camping - when I lay on the bed on my back my butt sank so far the back of my knees were higher than my stomach!

I would not stay here again. There are plenty of other places in Hurricane so I suggest you look elsewhere.

The last review mentions Travelodge, I suspect this has been accidentally lodged against the Rodeway - Travelodge is just along the street.
I would

1  Thank rtl2
Reviewed June 18, 2010

If you are going to visit Zion NP this is a good and cheap place to stay at. It is just as all other motels out there, nothing special about it at all, but it does not cost a fortune and is just about 30 minutes from the Zion entrance. That is goodf!! Breakfast is included in the price, however, it is just milk and cereals (and white toast bread and jam), so you should probably have something more prepared yourself. Besides that the breakfast was a dissapointment we had a good stay!

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 5, 2010

this travelodge is a very good choice when you are going to Zion NP if all the hotels in Springdale are full. that was our case so we went back to Hurricane and stayed in this hotel for two nights.
nice, clean and spacious rooms, pool outside, restaurant with all you can eat accross the street. breakfast in the small lobby was nothing outstanding but OK:

• Stayed: September 2008
Reviewed May 12, 2010

I booked this online (through Choice Hotels) using an organizational rate code and got a fantastic deal on the room, so I thought "Hey, it can't be that bad." I mean, I've stayed in some dumpy places before, so I'm not really that picky.
You should know that this is not exactly close to Zion. Zion is about a half hour away. I was here to visit the park though, so I drove in, parked on the street in Springdale (careful about where you park) and took the shuttle into the canyon. It was a nice day trip.
This is also not particularly well-located for restaurants of any kind. Very little is walkable except gas stations and a couple of fast food joints.
The front desk staff were surly and acted as though they were being bothered but, honestly, this is how most of the Pakistani-family-owned motels that I've been to in the country have been. Not to say that Pakistanis are anything less than affable individuals (I've met many fantastic Pakistanis and have good Pakistani friends), but the ones who own motels always seem to be pretty cynical toward their patrons. I don't mind it though, honestly.
When I booked, I had to get a smoking room, because that's all that was left for the first night I was there. The next two nights were open, but I was told that I could not shift to another room. Why? Not sure. Would a less surly clerk at a better motel have done this? Absolutely. But I wasn't surprised when that didn't happen here.
Staying on the staff, I would say that the cleaning staff seemed very, very friendly. There was a Mexican couple (seemed married) that I had a few friendly interactions and conversations with during my stay. I mean, at the end of the day, they're the ones you should probably be chummy with anyway, right?
Now, for the room. I was shocked, at first, how clean it was, and the fact that it had a mini-fridge and microwave in the room, as well as a coffee maker. For what I paid for this room, this seemed luxurious. I made sure to check for signs of bed bugs based on other reviews here and found nothing. Again, this was a smoking room and, did it stink? Yes, it did but, again, I expected this.
The first night was a late one. There was a large family there and they insisted on occupying the common area outside into the wee hours of the night. Oh well. The rest of the stay was relatively uneventful and quiet. I enjoyed it, actually.
There is wireless internet, but it's a little spotty and slow. The pool and hot tub seemed nice though. Breakfast was served by the front desk and was about as cheap as bad as you can get with still calling it a breakfast. I got some food and coffee the first morning, but didn't bother for the rest of the stay. Cable TV was nice and there were quite a few channels.
If I had a non-smoking room of the same quality, I would have paid quite a bit more for this hotel. It was a good experience overall and, if I had a strong desire to stay far away from Zion just to save money again, I would stay here.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled solo
1  Thank colinaz
Reviewed April 29, 2010

I stayed here one night after arriving after 9 pm. This is an old 2-story motel where you park in front of your door. My room was large, had a king bed, and came with a fridge and small microwave. The bed was comfortable. The linens and furniture were no-frills, but everything was quite clean. The bathroom had a newly installed plastic surround bathtub unit. Overall, the motel provided fair value and a comfortable room. The downsides were the breakfast (basically toast and muffins from the supermarket) and the pool. Kids were yelling and screaming until 10 pm - and the manager was too timid to ask them to quiet down unless one of the guests went with her. Also the free wi-fi signal was too weak for me to get a signal. The motels and restaurants in Hurricane are all pretty basic - if you want nicer (but much pricier) accomodations and restaurants, you have to drive 20 miles to Springdale, which is at the entrance to Zion Natl Park. The Rodeway has a pretty nice location - the Travelodge and Rodeway are the 2 motels you first see as you drive in on Highway 9 - so it is easy in, easy out to Zion.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled solo
1  Thank tsl1965
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hurricane
EconoLodge
EconoLodge
#3 of 6 in Hurricane
Wingate by Wyndham Hurricane Near Zion National Park
Quality Inn Zion Park Area
La Quinta Inn & Suites La Verkin - Gateway to Zion
Best Western Plus Zion West Hotel
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Washington

Been to Rodeway Inn? Share your experiences!