“Fresh ground coffee, what a treat!”

Barista's Restaurant
Ranked #21 of 34 Restaurants in Hurricane
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed August 2, 2014 via mobile

We went for coffee and it was just great, brewed from freshly ground beans. Best we've tasted on our US trip

Reviewed August 2, 2014

It was my 50th birthday and all I wanted was a nice steak and a beer

We arrive and are met by the 'greeter' a young woman dressed very inappropriately for this job singlet top with bikini top underneath and the shortest denim shorts that left nothing to the imagination, she did not introduce herself and lead us to a table and put the menus on it.

A little while later she came back and asked if we were ready for drinks we said "we're ready to order!" so she took the menus and then said "Your server will be with you shortly!" what the!!! then it got even more bizzarre the 'server' and unshaven man who did not introduce himself pulled up a chair and sat at the table to take our order! he then barked at the young woman to bring back the beer list so we could order. We said "no need for that we know what we want" so he took our food and drink orders. We had to ask for water and when the beers came the server just 'dumped' the bottles on the table we had to ask for glasses and the young woman also 'dumped' them on the table as far from both of us as possible. Then our meals were not served to us but put on the table and we had to move them in front of us. We then had to ask for silverware.

The whole time we were eating the male server was barking orders at the two young people who were obviously inexperienced and should not have been waiting tables until they had had a few lessons! then we wanted dessert but could not attract the servers attention when we finally did he says "so you want the bill?" and we replied "No we would like dessert please" he replied "oh I'll be with you soon" after about 10 minutes he yells over to the young woman can you get the bill for T2 pointing to us and I said "um we were wanting to order dessert??" he then came over and took our order. Dessert was dumped on the table (we were sitting at a table for four sitting at the seats next to each other and she put it at one of the other places OMG!!!!!!!) what a birthday dinner this turned out to be!!

having said ALLL that the food was REALLY good if we could have tipped the chef only, I would have, we left a very small tip.

7  Thank Cuddlefi5h
Reviewed July 31, 2014

Got an over-priced burger, but it was pretty good. We had lunch mid-week and were the only guests. You'd think that would ensure great service, but you'd be incorrect. My friend had the fish and fries and was underwhelmed.

4  Thank Catalyst_12
baristasrestaurant, Manager at Barista's Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded August 2, 2014

Ok so you liked the handmade burger most people do.your buddy's was not in love with his fish and chips sorry although he should complain to trident foods "it's deep fried beer battered cod" not much for us to mess up.just thought next time try the yellowfin ahi tuna or the sockeye salmon platters they are pretty amazing.once again sorry you did not like your frozen fish chips drinks on me next time peace out brothers

Reviewed July 30, 2014

This is our second trip to Baristas. Every few years we make it through Hurricane either on our way to or from the upper parts of Utah. About 3 years ago we stopped and had a wonderful meal and vowed to return the next time through.

This time it is the occasion of our 39th wedding anniversary (yes, people do stay married that long these days) and I wanted to surprise the love of my life with something turquoise so we were heading towards Jacobs Lake Inn and the wonderful trading post there after visiting friends near Cedar City.

As we headed into Hurricane, the wif being somewhat directionally challenged, had no clue that we were pulling up to the same restaurant we had enjoyed a few years before. As we pulled into the parking lot and she saw the sign she squealed with delight. I like making points.

Inside, Steve the owner, greeted us and we reminded him of our previous visit. Only now Baristas was twice the size having bought the space next door. He sat us at the same table as our last visit. I grabbed a menu but before looking at it I asked Steve if he still had the ribeye. He pointed to the cover of the menu and there it was in all its prime glory.

The difference was he had lowered the price. I asked him how he could do that while so many others were raising prices these days. He said they were doing pretty well and even though his costs had risen, he was doing his best to keep his prices as low as possible so more people could enjoy the food. How refreshing. I liked this guy even more.

I ordered the bone-in prime ribeye and o-rings, and the wif ordered the Legendary Caramelized Pastrami. Steve asked me how I wanted the ribeye and so I did a Meg Ryan “When Harry Met Sally” food ordering routine: “Well, make it medium well but not too well but definitely more well than medium but I do want it very pink in the middle but not raw and I want it at least warm, you know, cooked through but not so much that all the flavor is gone.”

After my semi-tirade, Steve called Pam out from the kitchen to make sure she heard all that so she’d get it right. I've never had the chef called out from a kitchen to make sure my order was understood. Wow! That is service and attention to detail!

The ribeye was utterly delicious and done to perfection--supremely flavorful, easily tender, and gone all too quickly. The wif rarely finishes a sandwich let alone the gargantuan Legendary but down it all went. I asked how she did it and all I got was a deep, satisfying sigh and “I just couldn't stop it was sooooo good.”

Passing by making sure our water was filled and generally being seriously cute, Shay was the frosting on the Barista cake. Steve has my kind of sense of humor—dry and a little acerbic. We got along famously as confident and self-reliant people generally do. Pam was delightful and professional in the extreme in her culinary expertise. And Shay, well Shay, as I said is the frosting on the cake—seriously cute and strikingly smart—just the combination that will devastate the right guy someday. He should be so lucky.

I cannot wait for our next trip to Baristas. The food is surprising for a small town in anywhere USA. If you want extraordinary food at reasonable prices and your taste runs beyond the mediocrity that the average restaurant offers, (let along the ravages of, dare I say it, fast food), then I’ll bet you’ll be pleasantly surprised and well rewarded by the effort to brave the wilds of Hurricane, Utah.

Just beware, judging by the several negative reviews, of the insipid, brain-dead welfare recipients passing through who mistakenly drop in and who are aghast at the thought that a hamburger might cost more than a dollar, that French fries actually cost money, and that sexual favors are not on the menu.

Other than the occasional human varmints who wander in, Baristas is a delight. There is no way we will ever pass through Hurricane, Utah without stopping for a bite.

1  Thank Michael G
Reviewed July 30, 2014

We were looking for a place to eat Sunday night after a long day at Zion. We didn't want fast food. We decided to stop in. It didn't look very busy at all, but the staff was running around like it was a full house. The food was good, but extremely over priced. For our family of 4 for just burgers and fries was over $100 with tip. We had to ask several times for drinks. We got or food, them it was chasing down someone for extra ketchup or drinks. I heard them tell several people that came in after that it would be an hour until the would be served. There was probably only 5 groups in the whole place. I thought that was strange.

1  Thank Jana B