“Very inexpensive for the quality! A MUST GO!”

Barista's Restaurant
Ranked #22 of 34 Restaurants in Hurricane
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed May 6, 2014

On a recent visit to Zion's national park we stumbled upon an extraordinary fine dining experience. We were greeted by friendly smiles and warm welcomes. My husband had a frosty cold beer and I enjoyed a glass of wine. He got a BBQ chicken pizza, even he could tell everything was made from scratch. I ordered an Avocado Blue Salad. It arrived looking like a work of art and tasted just like heaven. Overall it was a beautiful restaurant serving beautiful food!

Reviewed May 6, 2014

Best bang for your buck! I got the bacon burger a huge half pound burger sky high for only 12$. Plus lots of attractive girls work here. Literally the best burger I ever tasted!

Reviewed May 5, 2014

We stayed in Hurricane for a few days while hiking in Zion. I was advised to go to St. George for a good restaurant but this one looked cute from the outside and we were too tired to drive any more so here we go.
The entrance in the back is just weird. They put a misplaced booth in front of the side entrance which is where we sat. Behind your head there are empty bottles of wine and beer for decoration, so if you relax and lean your head back the bottles crash onto the floor...not too smart.
We ordered a pepperoni pizza with olives....we got a pepperoni pizza with onion. When we said we couldn't eat onion they took it back and picked them off and threw on the olives! That didn't fly with us because there were still onions on there! They begrudgingly made us another one and when she brought it too us we asked if we could have it boxed so we could just eat it at home. She gave us a box and walked away! We had to handle the HOT pan to try and slid the pizza in the box and not get burned...No tip for you!
The guy walking around who I think was the manager completely ignored us the whole time.
It was ridiculously overpriced. This place was a joke. I'm bummed we wasted our hard earned money here. I can't believe anyone would actually leave a good review of this place.

19  Thank DnBunny
Reviewed May 3, 2014

Where shall I begin…perhaps I’ll begin by saying that I have worked in restaurants for many years – mostly fine dining. I appreciate good food, good wine, and exceptional service and would not hesitate to drop a paycheck on an exceptional dining experience. What I encountered at Baristas was the worst, most uncomfortable, and confusing dining experience of my young life.

It was a Sunday. It was the beginning of a weekend camping/mountain biking adventure on Gooseberry Mesa. Our purpose was to find a nice space to enjoy our final hot meal for the next three days. After anxiously searching for over an hour, we realized that we were in Utah, that it was Sunday, and the only space open for lunch was Baristas.

The pictures on the outside walls, the dank green exterior, and the misplaced and misinformed metal bearings spread across the outside walls should have been a clue, but I have dined in many bars, pubs, and holes-in-the wall in my days. Each, while far from ideal, was what they advertised themselves to be: cheap, bar food. We took our chances. We attempted to enter the restaurant only to be directed to the back, then drawn through a dirty, dim lit room towards the front. We passed a man on a laptop, watching television, several up turned chairs, and a broken window.

We were seated promptly. The décor was confused – much like I was my freshman year of college. Old wine and corona bottles lined the walls and shelves, like dusty trophies of one too many sleepless nights. Metal fixtures and a dark room, a large television playing a forgotten country-rock concert, and a clear view of the kitchen stocked with a young girl in a short blue dress that barely covered her, and a man without hair and white-wash jeans walking back and forth with energy but without purpose.

There were three couples there. Each had a look of surprise, amusement, and disdain on their faces. They were wide-eyed, trapped, and anxiously seeking remorse, companionship from one another. We wanted to get out…but we couldn’t get out. Intrigued, curious, we remained and ordered two waters.

The menus were presented – and what a menu! Nearly five pages of unreadable type, countless items, all a la carte. The outsides were weathered and sun-stained, faded.
The waters arrived. Red plastic cups - chipped. Again, I was drawn back to my college days, the pub down the road that sold frozen tony’s pizzas and old chicken fingers to mask the smell of bad beer and cigarette smoke.

I looked more closely at the menu. Then the shock…Prices ranged anywhere from 10$ to 55$ for basic cheeseburgers, sandwiches, steaks…chips and salsa for 13$! The waitress returned. The pockets from her cut out shorts were hanging out – two sizes too small – a rugrats shirt and a dirty nametag, also faded, with her name written in blue marker.

We ordered. Fries did not come with the 16$ burgers. They were 5$ more.

I have worked in many fine dining establishments. Many individuals do not mind paying top dollar for good food. This money not only pays for the food, however, but also for the service and the experience. I would expect these prices from a fine Italian restaurant complete with white linen set tables, professional severs in suits and black ties, perhaps a pianist playing in the corner, and an extensive wine list carefully prepared by the sommelier.

My brain and vision blurred. I saw the décor, service, food, and atmosphere of a sleazy, cheap pub – of the worst kind – but the prices of a fine dining establishment. I couldn’t make sense of it. And the music from the concert blasting from the television continued to blare, masking reality further.

The chef was the young girl in the blue shirt pretending to be a dress. The owner was the hairless man walking back and forth, asking questions, hunting down his server when she disappeared for 10-15 minutes on end.

I took comfort in the writing on the wall – literally. There were dozens of comments written on the walls praising the incredible food – strange, but the same handwriting could be seen over and over...

The food arrived – 35 minutes later.

It was bar food, burger king style – the same thin patties (I was never asked the temperature…if I’m paying that much for a burger, I expect to be asked the temperature…a bad sign), the same thousand island dressing, the same sysco fries, the same bagged lettuce. We ate. We left $40 poorer. It was the most awkward, uncomfortable dining experience I have ever had. We left feeling as though we had fallen into the tourist pit – the signs were there. We should have known better. We wanted to leave sooner, but our server disappeared for 20 minutes…leaving us unable to move and tempted to wander out and pretend the whole thing had never happened.

24  Thank KristiYorks
Reviewed May 3, 2014

My wife and I were starting a 3 day mountain biking/camping adventure in Hurricane Utah and looking for a quick bite to eat for lunch. It was a Sunday and unfortunately not many restaurants were open except for fast food (yea we should have just went to subway). As we drove down the main highway we thought to ourselves, "why don't we give this Baristas place a shot".

Mistake #1: should have read the reviews online

As we parked multiple signs with food pictures on them greeted us (dead giveaway #1 for a tourist trap). We walked in, were given a table and proceeded to look at the menu. $13 for a burger with bacon, THAT DOESN'T EVEN COME WITH FRIES OR ANY SIDES. (dead giveaway #2 for a tourist trap). By now we were suckered in and hungry, so we ordered 2 burgers and a side of their "Gourmet" fries despite the price. As we waited for our food, the vibe of the restaurant went from weird to just plain uncomfortable. From the young lady with night club attire in the kitchen preparing food, to the horrible crappy sleaze rock music on the TV, it just felt weird to me. The look on the patrons faces in the restaurant showed the same unease, a look of "why did we come here again?". Our waitress only came to the table 3 times over the course of an hour (to give us water, food and our check). You call that service?

When we finally got our food, the feeling that I got was utter disappointment. Up until this point I was holding out that the food was somehow so utterly fantastic that they can charge $13 for a burger with no fries and get away with it. The burger was one step above Burger King and their "Gourmet" fries looked like frozen fries straight from Sysco that had been thrown in the fryer.

Yes, we walked into a tourist trap, the first and only on a multi week vacation through 4 states...lesson learned. For you fortunate souls who happen read the reviews and can't find a place to eat on a Sunday, save yourself the pain and go to Albertos next door, get fast food or drive to St. George.

19  Thank ski4lift