“Our condolences to an excellent kitchen”

Barista's Restaurant
Ranked #23 of 35 Restaurants in Hurricane
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed May 26, 2013

After waiting to forever for a waiter, and then getting over the sticker-shock of the unique menu, (meals that were priced 50% to 80% over market), we again were subjected to wait for our wait staff over, and over, and over....which is really amazing since the Barista's is not large at all, and there were only 6 or 7 tables of customers the entire time we were there.

The manager, when asked for help, prefers to scamper away to do a scavenger hunt looking for his waiter who is M.I.A.... and then lecture him next to our table, rather lift a finger to reach over and get something himself. All talk, no action.

(The exact opposite of what "Leadership" entails, ya know?)

Unfortunately for Barista's their manager and wait staff really do a disservice to the talented folks in the kitchen, who prepare many VERY creative, amazing and delicious unique dishes, each a work of culinary and visual art. All four of our meals were unique and, eventually, enjoyed for their flair, taste and presentation. It simply was just not worth the frustration of not being respected as a customer, and literally ignored, and at each stage having to get up and hunt down a live body for menus, then water refill, then drink refill, then silverware, and eventually our extremely bloated bill.

My heart goes out to the imaginative and talented staff in the kitchen. To the Chef: Don't be discouraged, many fine dining establishments would love to have you.

Marty Herder

4  Thank Marty H

Reviewed May 23, 2013

If you want to really enjoy the flavours of fresh and super-tasty, non-processed food, then this is the place to go. Yes, it costs more than most restaurants around but in our opinion it is worth every cent. In three months of travelling in the States, this was by far the best food we've tasted yet. Barista's was a breath of fresh air for us, after passing through so many of the same old fast food joints everywhere we go, with bland, tasteless and over-processed food. I had the Greek chicken platter and my husband had a steak and both were the tastiest, most succulent cuts of meat with salad ingredients that were organic and consequently tasted like they SHOULD taste. Everything was top notch and the service was friendly. If you want cheap fast food, this ISN'T the place for you, but if you like top notch food and flavours, this place is worth visiting and spending a little bit more money for something that will really titillate your taste buds. We'd definitely go back there again and again if we could.

Reviewed May 13, 2013

Went to eat there yesterday and it was a very interesting place. The owner was a little different acting ug hey maybe he thinks we were a little different acting! We were taken back by the price on the menu but decided to give it a try. My husband and I split the mango cheddar burger and our friends split the bacon cheddar burger. The hamburgers were really good. The mango one came with mango, strawberries and cherries cooked in a sauce and put over the hamburger. Sounds different but was really good. We also ordered sweet potato fries and for 5.99 got about a one dollar order. Our friends ordered a chocolate shake and it was in a little cocktail glass and I am sure it was a 7 or 8 dollar shake but they said it was so delicious. So I guess sometimes less is more. Overall we decided that when we were back this way we would eat there again. They had so many note resting things on the menu that we would like to try. Service was good.

2  Thank Brian and Andre... K
Reviewed May 12, 2013

I grew up in st George utah. Take it from me this place is great. People that come in and complain about the prices are always the same.they are looking for cheap food. And they aren't going to get it here. I admit they are high but it's for the excellent service, amazing chefs, and entertainment while waiting for your food. When I was looking for a place to take my girl I wanted to get the best, this is definitely the best in southern utah. I got a blue burger which cost me 17.99 and I asked the owner if it came with fries, he responded "no but ill throw some free fries in for you" they are regularly 4.99. The price for the food is definenetly worth it. The atmosphere is great, killer bear selection ranging from 3% to 9% alcohol contents. This is definenetly a place to remember.

Reviewed May 7, 2013

Wow... as I went to write this review I took a look at some other recent reviews and I've got to say I'm surprised by all the disappointed patrons. Clearly Hurricane is full of budget-conscious travellers.

If you are able to disconnect your taste buds from your wallet, you may find that the food actually tastes good. We stopped in at Barista's on our way to Springdale - and frankly being in Utah we were just looking for a place that even served alcohol. I had the jalapeno bacon burger and my husband had the salmon platter with the carmelized mango salad. They were both fantastic. We liked the place so much we stopped in again on our way back through Hurricane.

Granted, the drink selection wasn't even remotely good, and you've got to check your healthy diet at the door as I'm sure each plateful was a good 3000 calories (even without the not-included side of fries)... but if you're looking for some creative concoctions and aren't worried about being able to pay the bill - give this place a try.

Been to Barista's Restaurant? Share your experiences!