“Watch out for some of the staff and the mechanical equipment”
Review of Quality Inn Zion

Quality Inn Zion
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Hurricane
Chicago
“Watch out for some of the staff and the mechanical equipment”
Reviewed September 17, 2013

I stayed here twice and had two completely different experiences. The first two nights were ok and the staff was very nice. When I came back for two more nights, it was nothing but one lousy thing after another - room 210 is terrible. First there were no hangers, had to go down and ask for some. Then the air conditioner didn't work. The woman at the desk said she'd put me in a different room. Imagine my surprise when I opened the door to 221 and there was a man in the shower!! She said she didn't know he had checked in, a previous clerk didn't record it. She called the room and was pretty rude questioning the guy as to when he checked in, etc. Like it was his fault? So I have to go back to 210. She couldn't get air to work either and it was dumping water on the carpet, so she put down towels. Had to open the window and sleep with fan she gave me. Ok, but not exactly comfortable. She promised to refund my points and get me a new room first thing in the morning. I was ok with it, didn't really have any other choice.

Then when I tried to use the hair drier this morning, it literally started smoking and shooting flames. By this time I had had it and went down to the front desk and demanded a different room. The man at the front desk was rude and told me to "calm down, you don't need to get so upset". He also said something else but when I asked him to repeat it, he wouldn't. I didn't appreciate the attitude considering the situation. I mean, having a hair drier smoking and shooting flames at your head is a little disconcerting. Equipment fails, but it isn't my fault so don't act like I'm being unreasonable. They made all kinds of excuses, told me numerous times how accommodating they were being and I was the one with the problem. Both he and the woman were rude and unprofessional. They sent me to a different room but it wasn't ready and when I went down and told them, then the attitude got even worse. She insisted it was ready. When we went upstairs, she saw the maids were in the room and told them to hurry up and finish the bathroom and told me I could use it while the maid vacuumed. I waited in the hall and had to listen to her tell me several more times how awful it had been for her, she has 53 rooms to take care of. Seriously?? I was supposed to feel sorry for her? After all of this, I called Choice, cancelled my last night, got my points returned and am staying in a hotel in St. George tonight.

I travel with my job and spend about 75 nights a year in hotels. I have never written a review on any of them until today. It was just so over the top with attitude and nastiness, I felt I had to write one. If I knew the names of these 2 people, I'd name them. Unfortunately, the only way I have to identify them is that they are of a distinct ethnic group and leave it at that. Very disappointing experience and not what I expected given the first two nights I'd had there.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Jan H

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Reviewed September 15, 2013

I booked this hotel to stay inn for 2 days while visiting Zion national Park. The hotel was reasonable for the area at $90 per night. The hotel was very basic in terms of linens and the mattress was very hard. The waffle maker made great waffles and the breakfast was otherwise OK. Now that I know the area I would spend $50 more a night to stay in Springdale.

Room Tip: There is no elevator. Stay an first floor at eastern end of hotel
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed August 27, 2013

We stayed at the Comfort Inn Zion after a visit to Zion National Park. The hotel is a good 30 minutes from the south entrance of the park. It is what you would expect from a Comfort Inn. Relatively old interior, but clean. The A/C unit in the room was very loud.
I can recommend this hotel for your stay, if you are not planning to stay there on a Sunday. We did stay on a Sunday and found out that almost all restaurants in Hurricane are closed on Sundays. I would rather recommend to stay in St. George (which is a little further away from Zion NP) or to stay directly in Springdale, if you want to be close to the park.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Xabbu
Carterville, Illinois
Reviewed August 25, 2013

We had a clean, quiet and comfortable room. When we checked in, the clerk was friendly and they had coffee available for us. Breakfast was good and sausage and waffles were served along with many other things. The room was $87.49 (with taxes $97.55). The motel is near Zion National Park. Would stay here again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank TravelingBirdsWeAre
G M, General Manager at Quality Inn Zion, responded to this review, October 8, 2013
Dear Guest -

Thank you for your review of our hotel. We hope that if you get a chance to come back to the Zion area, you will select our hotel. We appreciate your business!
Philadelphia, Pa.
Reviewed August 5, 2013

As others have said, having "Zion" in the name of this Comfort Inn is quite misleading. It's really far from the main Zion entrance in Springdale -- 27 miles and about 35-40 minutes, assuming no traffic. That being said, it's not a bad place to stay if you are heading into or out of the park, and is certainly a much better value than the places on the park periphery in Springdale. Just beware that you'll have a bit of a drive ahead of you to get to the park.

The motel itself is on the western edge of Hurricane, seemingly right on the edge of the developed part of town. It seems to be fairly new, so I'm surprised by the review that called it "dated." Our room was clean and roomy, and well appointed. The pool and hot tub were nice, especially after a day of driving (although the pool is directly adjacent to, and almost part of, the parking lot). The front desk person when we checked in was super-helpful and nice (wish we got his name!). The motel has a washer/dryer for guests, but only one of each, which made for some serious jockeying for position and three of us all needed to do wash one evening. Would be nice to see another set available.

Our only complaint was the breakfast time; it started later than most Comfort Inns, at 7:00 a.m., making it difficult to get to Zion NP before the crowds and heat started (remember, it's 40 minutes or so to the park). Us and a number of other guests were up early, eager to get going, only to have to wait outside the door for the morning desk clerk to open it up at 7:00. It was all set up and ready to go, but she wouldn't let us in to 7:00. Grrr! For management, please consider starting breakfast earlier, between 6:00 and 6:30 a.m., to let guests get their day going, whether traveling or visiting the park. When I mentioned this to front desk person, she said "A lot of people say that." (direct quote). Well, duh, if a lot of guests say that, how about listening to them?

Room Tip: Rooms on the first floor, front left might be in front of the pool and can be noisy if people are pl...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank BriPhilly
Alliance, Ohio
Reviewed August 2, 2013

We were a little shocked when we realized how far away from Zion this hotel really was, but that being said, it was a good value for our money spent. Not having an elevator made it a bit tough to carry all of our luggage to our 2nd floor room, but the man at the desk did offer to help. The best perk was the breakfast where we sat on the porch with a gorgeous view of the mountains. It was also close to the interstate.

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank Treena K
Los Angeles
Reviewed July 29, 2013

We had requested a quiet room in the reservation and, although we arrived quite late, we were offered a choice of two rooms, both facing the mountains. We chose the smaller of the two (they have this suite, apparently at the same price as the normal double queens). Breakfast was pleasant, and we sat on the back patio and soaked up the morning mountains. Truly beautiful. Kids enjoyed mini golf and swimming. We were here two nights and the front desk staff were friendly, welcoming, and helpful.

Room Tip: Mountain view is apparently quieter, so request that if it matters to you.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Jonathon L
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hurricane
Wingate by Wyndham Hurricane Near Zion National Park
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Washington
Quality Inn at Zion Park
Quality Inn at Zion Park
#13 of 16 in Springdale

Been to Quality Inn Zion? Share your experiences!