“Great "old school" frozen custard.”

Nielsen's Frozen Custard
Ranked #1 of 4 Dessert in Holladay
Cuisines: Fast Food
Reviewed October 14, 2012

I love going to the doctor. Why? Because Nielsen's is directly on my route home. So I always like to treat myself to a small vanilla cone after my appointment. Normally I am not the type of guy to order a small size of anything. However Nielsen's frozen custard is so dense and creamy that a small cone makes a wonderfully satisfying afternoon snack. In an era where chain restaurants of all sorts dominate the culinary landscape, it is so refreshing to see that an independent, traditional, old style frozen custard stand can still thrive. I guess it must prove the point that if you give the public something exceptionally good, at a fair price, you will stand the test of time.

2  Thank TravelHoundUtah

Reviewed October 2, 2012

My wife and I almost opened a frozen custard restaurant in Grand Junction, CO some years ago, but the government red tape indicated a poor place to have a business. I tell ya this to tell ya that I know a tiny bit about frozen custard. Long story short, Nielsen's is great! As a purist, I like the vanilla concrete!

Downside is that they are closed Sundays and the staff is not clean-cut or professional like a fast food place can be... like an In-N-Out restaurant.

Great place, but as always, SLC roads are a headache with constant construction... allow extra time to make needed detours, but well worth it!

Reviewed April 6, 2012

Who would have thought egg yolks make a good dessert great? Nielsens did. Custard is the rolls Royce of frozen dairy products. Just vanilla is great for me, but really you could put custard on anything and it's instantly awesome. Nielsens does it the best of anyone.

Downsides? Typically, the place is run by high schoolers and they're about as attentive and efficient as you would expect a high school kid to be. Bring some patience and a tolerance for the word "like".

Reviewed January 4, 2012

I stop by this place all the time, frozen custard beats regular ice cream, hands down! The place can get a little noisy and crazy, but they have a drive thru if that bothers you (I personally don't care, I'm there for the custard). Concretes don't necessarily have nuts, it's all in what you want with it.

You can do smaller scoops of their flavor of the day, which they sometimes post on Facebook or you can always call and ask. In the Halloween/Thanksgiving/Christmas months they often do a pumpkin spice that is to DIE for. Seriously, you must try this!

If you do a concrete, you can do a mini or a full and mix in whatever you like. I usually do something with their chocolate--even plain it's delicious. Flavors I recommend: chocolate with oreo, chocolate w/ cookie dough, caramel pecan, lemonberry (& pumpkin if they've got it). I know they do a cherry chocolate that's very popular (I don't like cherry, but if you do it'll probably be delightful).

Parking can be an issue when it gets busy, but we've always been able to find a spot, just know it's a tight lot. They do accept credit/debit cards, but I believe you have to spend at least $5 to use the machine, so bring cash if you're going to spend any less, and enjoy!

1  Thank JenniJae
Reviewed December 29, 2011

I always know what to expect here. They always deliver the most delicious product and have a freindly staff.