“Monumentally Boring”

Heber Valley Railroad
Ranked #4 of 27 things to do in Heber City
More attraction details
Owner description: A steam passenger railroad from 1899 that offers special theme events during the year.
Reviewed April 10, 2013

I went on this train ride around easter with my family and we all had a terrible time. We just didn't understand what the point of it was and why so many people gave it high reviews. You basically sit on a slow uncomfortable train while looking at the backyards of people living in the tiny town of Heber. They don't talk about the history of the area or of the railroad industry. You don't pass by anything of interest unless you count locals waving at you. You get to the end of the line and then come back the exact same way. At one point an easter bunny came into our car, danced around for 5 minutes and then left. My nephew fell asleep while my niece spent the entire time asking "What are we doing this for?" I wish I had an answer. The only reason it got 2 stars is because the tiny petting zoo they had at the beginning had some cute animals that my wife wanted to steal.

2  Thank Joseph E
"hour round trip"
"soldier hollow"
in 8 reviews

Reviewed February 26, 2013

Oh, the train. As a mother of a precious 4 year old, I have to tell you that the train that was the highlight of the trip two years ago was absolutely ruined this time. Why? Because of a silly train robber act that they added to the middle of the ride. My 4 year old was completely terrified. He was crying and saying, "Why are they on my train. Get them off my train." My parents have ridden the train with grandkids many times and have never witnessed this ridiculous robber act, so when my sister said she had read reviews that mentioned it, we thought it was a summer thing. Boy, were we wrong! We slowed to stop at an old station a few minutes into the peaceful ride, and the we hear gun shots and shouting. Next the people in robber costumes get on the train, shouting and ranting. They even saw my terrified child and tried to talk to him - really? The acting seemed to go on forever. Then the lady involved stayed on the train. She turned into a normal person and sang and played the guitar. Even the singing, I could do without. So, my child was scared the rest of the time that something else was going to happen, perhaps when we went back by the station. It was awful. All that to say, beware. While our train was occupied mostly by adults, it would seem that trains would be a favorite for kids.

Two years ago, my son loved it and talked about it fondly until this past trip. We enjoyed the peaceful ride, the snow, the hundreds of deer, etc. This time the train car was nicer, which was impressive, but the train robber incident ruined it.

2  Thank THJH2003
Reviewed February 16, 2013

We haven't had the opportunity to ride a train yet but wandering around the railroad yard was awesome. Some people are obviously disappointed by the train ride, but they seem to forget that Heber is a historic railroad and not a modern railroad. The train is over 100 years old and it's going to be rickety and uncomfortable to some extent. When you ride the Heber Creeper you are taking part in history. If you want modern comfort and convenience take an airplane or AMTRAK. As for the Heber Railroad, they are helping to preserve America's rich railroad history.

1  Thank samscholes
Reviewed January 25, 2013

Fun for the kids. Must dress for the weather. Recommend open cars on hot days and enclosed cars on cooler days.

2  Thank RooneAlredge
See more reviews
Reviewed December 22, 2012

On the 20th of Dec. of this year I took my children and grandchildren, (16 of us) on the Polar Express ride. I was a little hesitant when I purchased the tickets as they were not cheap. However, the experience was worth EVERY penny! Everyone young and old had the time of their life. The children wore their jammies and and were in complete awe of what they were experiencing. I dont know if we just had the "fun" car (#3593) or what, but there was non stop singing and dancing in the aisle, and joke telling. The elves and our "chef" were awesome, as was Santa and Mrs, Santa. I would recommend dressing for the cold as it was a bit chilly on board, but you really didnt notice it too much because of all the fun. Thank you Heber Valley Railroad for doing such a great job! The only way it could have been better is if you could actually get off the train and visit the "North Pole" rather than just having Santa come on board, perhaps some day? This will be our new Christmas time Family tradition!

12  Thank Michele P