“Preserving America's rich railroad history”

Heber Valley Railroad
Ranked #6 of 22 things to do in Heber City
More attraction details
Owner description: A steam passenger railroad from 1899 that offers special theme events during the year.
Reviewed February 16, 2013

We haven't had the opportunity to ride a train yet but wandering around the railroad yard was awesome. Some people are obviously disappointed by the train ride, but they seem to forget that Heber is a historic railroad and not a modern railroad. The train is over 100 years old and it's going to be rickety and uncomfortable to some extent. When you ride the Heber Creeper you are taking part in history. If you want modern comfort and convenience take an airplane or AMTRAK. As for the Heber Railroad, they are helping to preserve America's rich railroad history.

1  Thank samscholes
There are newer reviews for Heber Valley Railroad

Reviewed January 25, 2013

Fun for the kids. Must dress for the weather. Recommend open cars on hot days and enclosed cars on cooler days.

2  Thank RooneAlredge
Reviewed December 22, 2012

On the 20th of Dec. of this year I took my children and grandchildren, (16 of us) on the Polar Express ride. I was a little hesitant when I purchased the tickets as they were not cheap. However, the experience was worth EVERY penny! Everyone young and old had the time of their life. The children wore their jammies and and were in complete awe of what they were experiencing. I dont know if we just had the "fun" car (#3593) or what, but there was non stop singing and dancing in the aisle, and joke telling. The elves and our "chef" were awesome, as was Santa and Mrs, Santa. I would recommend dressing for the cold as it was a bit chilly on board, but you really didnt notice it too much because of all the fun. Thank you Heber Valley Railroad for doing such a great job! The only way it could have been better is if you could actually get off the train and visit the "North Pole" rather than just having Santa come on board, perhaps some day? This will be our new Christmas time Family tradition!

7  Thank Michele P
Reviewed December 8, 2012

After having taken myself, my husband and 3 kids on the Polar Express, in 2005, our last opportunity to experience this specific magic, due to unforseen issues, we were unable to arrive on time for departure. After several minutes of speaking with the station employees, I was informed that I could exchange the very expensive tickets (5) for a summer/drastically less expensive Heber Creeper experience. I already knew that our family would be moving to another state long before I would be able to use what was being offered. I requested the opportunity to pass along the Polar Express experience to a friend with the same # of family members. I was told "ABSOLUTELY NOT!" If I expected "ANY" compensation, I would have to accept a much lesser experience. The entire situation soured me to ANYTHING the Heber Valley Railroad provided. In conclusion, HVRR is only interested in making $, lots of it. They have no concept of "Customer Service" means. My kids were heartbroken!

6  Thank JeffA91
Reviewed November 26, 2012

This is all I was thinking the entire time. I cannot imagine adults enjoying this. Even the kids were crying and having a bad time. How some gave this 5 out of 5 is incomprehensible to me. This applies to the Polar Express.

1) The windows fogged up within 5 minutes of leaving the station so we couldn't really see out of the train.

2) What we did see wasn't the beautiful mountains but the trashy backyards of the houses scattered along the railroad tracks.

3) The whistle on the train was deafening. I mean, we were literally a few feet from the incessant blowing whistle that scared the kids half to death and left our ears ringing.

4) The whole program is this clown making the kids read jokes off of index cards and Santa passing out a little bell to each child.

5) You go straight down the track a few miles. The train stops. Then you go straight back to the station. I don't get it. When they re-linked the train to go in the opposite direction, they gave us no warning and the force of the train slamming into our car spilled hot chocolate all over us.

Here's the skinny. If you read this review and still think this train ride is a good idea, imagine yourself in pure hell for 90 minutes and reconsider. If you go forward anyway, book something in the daytime, and don't bother with first class, because I can't see how coach could possibly be any worse. In fact, I was wondering to myself if the joke was on us for paying the extra money to torture ourselves by being closer to the whistle.

I would recommend this train ride as an alternative to the hard labor component of imprisonment without the possibility of parole. In fact, I think being perpetually stuck on this train would be worse than death by execution.

27  Thank supersnivs