“Amazing experience!” 5 of 5 bubbles

and up
Goblin Valley State Park Canyoneering Adventure
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Owner description: Get In The Wild Adventures offers a wide range of wilderness trips and courses in the most beautiful, rugged and awe-inspiring canyons in America. We operate in locations that few other guide services go including the Dirty Devil/Robber's Roost Wilderness, Fiddler Butte Wilderness, French Springs Wilderness, Goblin Valley/San Rafael Swell and Capitol Reef National Park. From exciting hiking, backpacking, canyoneering and photography tours to family adventure vacations, vehicle basecamp vacations, Yoga In The Wild retreats and hard core expeditions. We have trips and programs for adventurers of all ages, interests and skill levels. Extraordinary Adventure Vacations in Southern Utah's Wildest Places!
Burlington, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Amazing experience!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2012

Chris and Melissa are awesome! I summited Mt Baker with them and could not have asked for a better instructor. I had never held an ice ax and didn't know what crampons were before I took the glacier climbing course, but Chris taught me everything I needed to know. He is very professional and methodical in his approach, teaching all of the necessary skills to a considerable amount of depth, and allowing for lots of practice between the classroom sessions and field trips. If you want to be hand-held up Baker in a hurry, look elsewhere. If you want to learn the skills and feel confident that you could navigate your way to the top or run a crevasse rescue, you can't do better than Chris. Definitely one of the most memorable experiences of my life!

Visited February 2012
3 Thank James S
Christopher H, Owner at Get In The Wild Adventures, responded to this review, January 14, 2013
Dear James,

Thank you for your review. I am glad that you found the Basic Glacier Climbing Class a rewarding experience. We take great pride in operating our trips and classes in a way that is not only fun and exciting, but educational as well. I am happy that the skills that you learned empowered you with confidence in reaching your objectives. We certainly enjoyed your participation and hope to Get In The Wild with you again in the future.

Seattle, Washington
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Do it!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2012

I took the basic glacier climbing course a few years ago from Chris. I was completely new to mountaineering, and I wanted to learn from someone who was passionate and experienced. I had a real interest in learning skills and enjoying the outdoors, and I wasn't interested in merely checking off a box. Chris was an amazing instructor. He taught our class navigational skills, rope skills, glacier travel skills, and everything else you can imagine. We practiced everything until everyone was very comfortable. I walked away from this class extremely comfortable with the basic mountaineering skills. Chris' vast knowledge and experience, as well as his intimate approach to teaching, really set his class apart. Our final trip was a summit attempt of Mt. Baker, and I'll never forget the experience. We successfully made the summit, and the views of the Puget Sound and surrounding mountains were unreal. The experience was truly unique, and I can't recommend this enough. I enjoyed it so much that I assisted with the class the following year!

Visited July 2011
2 Thank Matt C
Seattle, Washington, United States
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Experience the mountains, and feel like a pro”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 5, 2012

I took a class here last year in preparation for climbing Mt. Baker in WA state. I had zero mountaineering experience but really wanted to learn what it was all about. I was sold when Chris did his first information session. Chris is such an experienced, calm, and teaching focused person. He described his approach to teaching climbing that just made sense for me. During the course we learned navigational skills, learned how to use all the climbing gear, how to safely cross glaciers, practice rescuing teammates from crevices (amazing experience!). We would learn the concepts in a classroom setting, then do an overnight camp/hike to practice all the skills in the wild. I knew nothing when I started the class, and I am now comfortable doing some of these things on my own, this is a testament to Chris' ability to teach and make sure you remember what you are taught. I would recommend this for anyone that is interested in mountaineering, it was such an amazing experience, and I have since drawn upon those skills in other outdoor scenarios. Chris makes this a comfortable learning environment, where you can challenge yourself, explore the wonder that is the mountains, and make some great friends! What are you waiting for?? GO GO GO!

Visited July 2011
5 Thank MichaelArbuck
Seattle
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Great Outdoors Leadership Experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 5, 2012

I have been on several outings with Chris and NAWLS. One thing for sure, every outing offered a great and unique experience. I was very impressed with the focus on safety while having fun and experiencing the outdoors in ways most people did not. I have learned many outdoor skills and broadened my knowledge in ways that have helped me enjoy the outdoors more than ever before. I especially liked the hands on method and the patience of the leaders. I was also really impressed with how convenient it was, the destination options, variety of programs offered, scheduling, selection of team members and overall experience.

I am a loyal fan and will always recommend NAWLS to friends and family.

Visited June 2012