“I couldn't help but smirk, seeing the 'motel under remodeling' sign...”
Review of Book Cliff Lodge

Book Cliff Lodge
CA, USA
“I couldn't help but smirk, seeing the 'motel under remodeling' sign...”
Reviewed September 14, 2008

Green River filled up early for some reason, and having been on a long trip I counted myself lucky at first to secure a room at the BCL. The price was competitive with the rates being offered at the more well known chains down the street.

My first impression was that a hurricane had hit, or a wild party had stopped by at the motel, or perhaps they had recently acquired a run down apartment that had undergone a period of vacancy and had only recently been converted into living space.

I couldn't help but smirk, seeing the 'motel under remodeling' sign as I entered the building. The presence of tape and plywood on the cracked glass windows made me wonder if it was repair or remodeling that was going on.

The door to my room was closed but the door was unlocked when I got to it. Surprising. I hadn't specifically asked for non-smoking and was not surprised to find this was a smoked-in room. The deadbolt wouldn't close, but the knob itself locked and there was one of those little security latches so I felt somewhat secure as long as I remembered to keep the latch closed.

The room itself looked like a small studio apartment, but without kitchen. One wall was yellow, while the rest were white. One wall had wallpaper while the rest did not. There was an obvious access panel in the wall backing the bathroom.

New wiring in EMT conduit ran across the ceiling for lights in the room and new smoke detectors. I understand that you're supposed to put clamps on that sort of conduit, if you decide to use it as surface mount but I did not see any.

The floor near the toilet was springy and sloping in the bathroom, possibly due to the introduction of weight from a new shower stall, installed with obvious adhesive marks. The bathroom floor didn't look clean. I didn't have to sit on anything while I was there, so I avoided doing so. There was enough soap for me to shave shower and wash my hands. There was a tissue dispenser but it was empty.

There was a new looking TV in the room as well as a fridge and a microwave. I did not have to use these conveniences so I have no comments on available television channels. I also did not have the chance to take a look at the pool or children's playground I noticed on the grounds.

There was a beetle in the room, but the local phone directory took care of it. I did not see another during my stay.

I had a few hours before sleep for entertainment. There was no wireless Internet, so I decided to watch a 1970's spooky movie DVD I had with me. It fit the theme nicely. I had to disconnect the room's TV in order to plug in my laptop, because the wall receptical only had one working outlet at that location.

Most importantly was that I got to sleep quickly, the beds were surprisingly the softest I'd yet encountered yet on my trip. I had been in motels previously that week as well as camping on an air mattress and the beds were what made the room bearable. I put that day's laundry in a separate bag to isolate the smoke smell however as it followed me back home.

• Liked — Soft Bed
  • Disliked — Overall condition of the motel makes the traveller regret choice.
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank Photogaffer

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Lakewood, Colorado
Reviewed March 31, 2008

We stopped into this motel because we were exhausted after a long afternoon of driving. As luck would have it all the other hotels were full for a convention. The check-in went badly as it took the clerk several minutes to figure out how to run my card and fill out the post card, did not seem really comfortable with procedures for basic hotel room. Eventually told me I was all set at which time I informed him it was customary to give keys to guests when renting rooms! All this was bad enough but he was telling the manager that he had fixed another room just previously ( something about pushing the screws back in the wall). Weird! So off to the room. Some of the windows were broken/ cracked on the building. They are renovationg but there was still sawdust all over the floor, hand rails missing, and a plethora of wet paint signs( but no fresh paint?) We had a 2 floor room in the back building. The room was large but very , very sparsely furnished. There was electrical conduit run across the ceiling and some holes in the wall where electrical outlets boxes had been cut out. Very dated. One bed spread was very faded and the other looked new( but still from the 70s). Beds were doubles ( small at that ) and rock hard, with poor bedding. The room seemed clean but was missing things like soap, tissue, ice bucket , garbage can... seemed like they had made the beds and called it good. The window said it had been sealed for safety but looked as if it had rusted shut. Also was very foggy. The heater didn't work much either. As it was late and we were tired we crashed - but not before my husband donated a little plumbing work on the toilet. The floor around the tub and toilet were scary - very soft and bouncy. All in all a miserable eerie night. When we checked out in the day light at 7am about 3 other families were too. 1 other family we spoke to mentioned they felt like they were in "The shining " - we had made the comparision also! Apparently they had 3 rooms at differents points- 1st was dirty, 2nd missing a window ( boarded over only), 3rd was same as ours but had mysterious tar on the carpet. Others had similiar comments. Very scary ! Maybe after full (& boy do I mean full) renovation it will be salvaged but for now a definite NO go.

• Liked — Right on main Street
  • Disliked — Rooms and overall condition
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple