“Lower Calf Creek”

Calf Creek Falls Recreation Area
Ranked #1 of 28 things to do in Escalante
More attraction details
Owner description: It takes time to get to, but Calf Creek falls are a recommended site to visit.
Reviewed October 7, 2013

We visited during the shutdown. We just walked around the barrier. Loved the sound of water along the hike. The falls were gorgeous!

Reviewed September 23, 2013

This is worth the hike up. I could live in this area.
love from Seattle
The falls are tall. Take pleanty of water and a swim suit for a dunk in the falls.

Reviewed September 17, 2013

We hikes in the 3 miles fairly early in the morning. We saw 3 people coming out as we were hiking in. There was no one there when we arrived. You could hear the falls before you could see them. We had been at the Emerald Pools early in the trip and this was much nicer, less crowded, and more beautiful. We brought a swimsuit to swim however the water is really, really, really cold. We waded in the water but could not swim because it was too cold for us. 3 other couples hiked in while we were there and there was one dog. The dog really enjoyed splashing in the water and chasing his tennis ball. We hiked out, saw several groups hiking in and the parking lot was full when we got back. I would recommend going earlier than later to avoid the crowds. It is well worth the 6 mile round trip hike. We had lunch at the picnic table in the Recreation area afterwards.

3  Thank AnnualAdventurer
Reviewed September 8, 2013

This is a hike in our 'hiking Utah' book and I can now see why. It is a well maintained trail with trail information provided. There is a good mix of sun and shade and not a significant elevation change. A 6 mile round trip to see some beautiful falls.

I see someone has recommended taking your swim suit - if you do please be thoughtful when we were there 5 people were swimming or playing in the water but were shouting and disturbing what would normally have been a serene and peaceful place. They also made taking photos more difficult as they were always in the bottom of them.

There is a $2 fee to park in the recreation area so make sure you have some change.

3  Thank Martintracy
Reviewed August 30, 2013

We did this hike beacuse we were in the area and we read a lot of good reviews about this place.
The trail head is located at the Calf Creek Recreation Area and share the entrance with the campsite. There are toilets and drinking water.

The hike itself was a disappointment, it was well marked but I was expecting a trail along the river in the shade. Instead there was a path, with sandy stretches, way above the water with almost no shade for most of the hike. There were few shaded spots to stop and rest, it didn't bother me much, we kept going, but it was poor. The nice part of the hike was a place were you could see a big pictogram (old painting) on the wall across the canyon. It was something different and I really liked it. The end of the hike was much more pleasant, the trail was going lower and was following along the river, there were more trees and some nice breeze (that was how all the hike should be).

The fall is really pretty, it has a nice little sandy beach, some in the sun and most of it was in shade with little trees growing here and there. Very picturesque. The waterfall created a pool underneath, water was cold and deep and had a nice color. My husband said it was cool place because it is in the middle of the desert. Looking at this from this point, yes it is cool.

I think it's a nice spot for a picnic or to make a trip with small kids, but if you are in Escalante for an adventure do rather trips around Hole-in-the Rock Road. Forget about Calf Creek and hit slot canyons. It could be a good back up hike in case of rain though.

In other hand if you like waterfalls and stuff like that don't go to Utah. Make a trip to Europe, my favorite spot with waterfalls is in Slovakia Slovensky Raj, I traveled a bunch and I haven't found sweeter spot than this one for waterfalls anywhere. Another nice spot is in Croatia and is called Plitvicke Jezera, its a National Park. Check them both on the Internet :) they are worth a visit.

3  Thank tlent