“Crazy fun adventure in the desert”

Escape Goats Day Tours
Ranked #5 of 6 Tours in Escalante
More attraction details
Owner description: Escape Goats offers guided day hiking to slot canyons, arches, pictographs. Multi-day Goatpacking, guided backpacking tours. Auto tour, and shuttles for backpackers. Learn about the plants, geology, creatures of the desert, local history.
Reviewed July 16, 2014

We had one the best adventures our family has ever experienced! We started early in the day with Shawn with a drive out hole in the rock road to hike through spooky gulch and peek a boo canyons. Shawn has an excellent knowledge of local plants and their purposes (food, medicine, etc) and he pointed everything out for us on the way into the slots. We went through Spooky first- it was extremely narrow (10in!) and required a lot of scrambling to get through. Peek a boo actually had several areas where it was filled with muddy (and stinky) water that we had to climb through. My kids loved very minute! Shawn was patient, extremely helpful giving us a knee or hand up in the tough spots, and most importantly, tolerated my sons incessant questions! This was a highly enjoyable experience and I recommend Shawn and Escape Goats to anyone looking for a unique family adventure that they will remember forever!!

Reviewed July 2, 2014

Shawn wasn't available to lead myself, a friend and my kids (12 and 10) to Spooky and Peek-a-Boo canyon so Mike filled in. What a pro! We had so much fun even though it was bloody hot walking across the desert. Mike made sure were were safe and had ample opportunity to wander around, take pictures and enjoy the coolness and beauty of the slots. He knows the area like the back of his hand and shared his knowledge with us. I'll continue to tell my friends about Escapegoats and if I ever get the chance to come back I will do it again. Thanks, Mike!

Reviewed June 19, 2014

Our excursion with Shawn to Zebra and Tunnel slot canyons turned out to be a memorable and informative adventure. So glad I chose to go with a guide, not sure I would have ever found the sites and pretty certain I wouldn't have ventured into the ice cold water if I had. Shawn clearly loves the area and shares a lot of information about the geology and plant life of the desert. Couldn't have asked for a better host. I highly recommend his tours and will book another one in a heartbeat the next time I visit Escalante.

Reviewed June 9, 2014

My friend and I just finished a four-night backpacking trip with Shawn of Escape Goats. Shawn is an outstanding guide, over the top. If I could I would give him 6+ stars :).

We had a blast the entire trip and felt comfortable and carefree the whole time thanks to Shawn's expertise and care. We hiked in incredibly beautiful places that we never would have found or hiked to on our own and felt safe the entire time.

Shawn's passion for hiking in Escalante is infectious. Shawn has explored the area extensively and knows a lot about its natural history. Shawn is a lot of fun to hike with and inspires confidence to explore new areas. Shawn is helpful, easygoing and highly competent and is an expert on backpacking. We learned a bunch from Shawn on how to minimize the weight of our packs and stay safe and comfortable.

We could not have asked for a more knowledgeable, competent, safe, fun, friendly, and personable guide. Shawn loaned us whatever equipment we didn't have, provided the food, and helped us leave out what we didn't need. Shawn drove us into a great area, led us on a great adventure and drove us out, so our entire trip was worry and carefree. Even though we were in the desert we had plenty of water and ways to cool off.

We had so much fun and felt so safe the whole time! It was such a blast we can't wait to return to Escalante and hike with Shawn of Escape goats again as soon as possible !

Reviewed June 5, 2014

You can't go wrong with Shawn and Escape Goats. We traveled to Grand Staircase with our 6 year old daughter, and I'm so glad we booked with Shawn. He took us through both canyons with no difficulty. He's extremely knowledgeable about the area, its history and the local flora and fauna. We learned so much, and after our hike, he took us by the Devil's Garden. He was extremely patient and responsive with our very active and talkative daughter. She talked about Shawn for days. We both agreed that it was one of the best decisions of our trip as we would have struggled on our own to get through both canyons by ourselves. Our all around favorite part of our trip!

1  Thank Chris J