“Mammoth-Sized Motel with Good, But Slightly Pricey, Rooms and Peaceful Setting”
Review of Prospector Inn

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Escalante
Prospector Inn
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Escalante
London, UK
Reviewed June 17, 2011

This review (it starts after the dashed lines below if you want to straight to it) is part of a 'set' of hotels/motels/attractions I stayed in/experienced whilst touring the region in and around southern Utah, aiming to visit the fantastic National Parks there, by hire car in May 2011.

I have created an extensive Trip Advisor 'Trip List' which details the numerous significant attractions I visited/the places I stayed in enroute and includes a tour map and (hopefully) lots of helpful information/Internet/Trip Advisor links.

Trip Advisor haven't (yet ?) properly integrated it for direct access: to get to it you start by doing the required action to see my individual TA reviews/photos/videos (which I hope you will !) by mouse-clicking my profile 'name' located in the top-left corner of this review, below my profile picture of the Giza Pyramids, then mouse-clicking the blue 'Reviews' link from the resulting pop-up window. As well now being able to see my reviews, you can then access my Trip List by looking in the left-hand 'Contributions list (there you can also see my photos/videos direct) and select 'Trip List' - it is entitled 'Las Vegas + South Utah National Parks + Monument Valley, Arizona - May 2011'; click the title link and away you go - easy, NOT ! (TA admin please note !)

For accommodation my price range was $50-$60incl/night (occasionally up to $90incl due to local 'inflation'), for non-smoking rooms in establishments which were best located for visiting the nearby venue (sometimes for several days), that were TA reviewed as quiet/clean and should be well-equipped (eg fridge, wi-fi); I was not too bothered about what eateries etc were in the local area, nor if there were things like a swimming pool, as my days were maximised for visiting the associated National Park/hiking etc, the room being used to reflect on the day/'unwind'/sleep in !

-------------

I arrived at the Prospector Inn after an exhausting (but very enjoyable !) day in Bryce Canyon on my way to Capitol Reef NP. Having reserved a room by phone sometime before whilst still in the UK, my transition from arriving to relaxing in my room ($60incl/night for twin-beds) was speedy and pleasingly seamless. This is despite the place being quite busy when I arrived as it was clearly, and justifiably, popular as a stop-off in what is a largely quite remote and desolate area.

Standing perpendicular to the highway, you don't get a proper impression of the length/height of the motel until you turn into the parking area. The reception is at the front/right corner and was staffed by a solitary lady who was efficient and courteous - unusually, she was also there in the morning....

Parking space could be at a premium if full, but as it was I could park right in front of my ground-floor room with no problems. First impressions of the room were good; it was large, clean and tidy. As expected, there were no extra in-room facilities of note (eg fridge, microwave), save for the ubiquitous TV, but you could get freshly made coffee from reception; no breakfast supplied in the morning. Noise only seemed to emanate from other residents (either walking past the room, talking rather loudly or bounding up the external stairway to the upper floor); I didn't hear anything coming from the highway. True to her word, the wi-fi worked fine/as advertised by the lady at reception. The bed was comfy with no bed bugs (I have never had them in ANY bed in ANY hotel and am of the opinion that reviews which mention them are malicious !).

And that's it really. Whilst unremarkable, the Prospector Inn does not disappoint as somewhere to be used for a stopover in the remote Escalante region. The nightly cost was what I gradually became used to expect where there is relatively little competition/population in the area, so whilst I had no complaints at all about the room you don't get too much 'extra' for your money.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank LPWilliams

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Salt Lake
Reviewed June 3, 2011

Hotel is very drab and no atmosphere! Rooms are "fair" but walls are very thin! We had a lovely couple help us at the front desk! They were from Cedar City and just as nice as
they could be! The lady was dressed very nice and wore beautiful makeup and had her nails done which is more than we can say about the Old Bag that runs it! She never has
a stitch of makeup on and never stops talking!!!!!!!!!!! You would think that someone who
deals with the public would at least attempt to look nice while at work! Anyway, hope the
lovely lady and her husband are there next time we come to Escalante, we will look forward to seeing them again!

Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Escalante hotels

Madison, Wisconsin
Reviewed June 1, 2011

Nothing special. No continental breakfast. Large, clean room. Bed okay. Place has the blahs but certainly stayable,

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
San Diego, California
Reviewed May 11, 2011

What you would expect for the money. Nice large rooms - clean and good location for hiking or sightseeing in the area. Two ok resturants nearby. Would suggest going to Boulder to eat where there are two very fine resturants.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
Landau in der Pfalz, Germany
Reviewed April 5, 2011

we had a very good time in spring last year. Motel was nearly empty because of very cold weather. Everything was clean. Desk stuff was very friendly and helpfull.
We will be there next time in July 2011.
We like to sit at the patio and having a beer in the evening.

Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
british columbia
Reviewed April 4, 2011

|We were on a driving tour of southern Utah and stayed here for one night. The lady at the front desk was very helpful and recommended the restaurant at the rear of the property which turned out to be great even though itwas early in their season. The rooms were clean and I didn't notice particularily thin walls. I fell asleep easily and slept well.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends
San Francisco, California
Reviewed November 20, 2010

As the largest and most prominent motel in Escalante, the Prospector gets a fair amount of traffic during high season. The room was clean and functional, and a good value. On the downside, the beds were a bit on the uncomfortable side. Also, our biggest complaint was that due to flimsy construction, anyone walking around outside our room (on the second floor) caused a lot of noise and shaking (and I am a sound sleeper).

Overall, there aren't a ton of choices in Escalante, and I'd stay here again (and choose it over the Padre Motel down the street). I haven't yet stayed at the Circle D, so will check into that next time.

Oh, the restaurant in back is a decent short-order style restaurant with generous portions. It can get a bit chaotic when busy, and service is in the category of "well-meaning, and family-run".

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Escalante
Ticaboo Resort
Escalante's Grand Staircase Bed & Breakfast Inn
Wild West Retreat
Wild West Retreat
#5 of 10 in Escalante

Been to Prospector Inn? Share your experiences!