“Watch out for the non-refundable cancel charge.”

Escalante's Grand Staircase Bed & Breakfast Inn
Ranked #5 of 10 Escalante B&B and Inns
Union Hall, Virginia
“Watch out for the non-refundable cancel charge.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 28, 2013

This place posts a 14 day cancel policy which is far longer than any other hotel or B&B used on this trip. Yet when I canceled a reservation three weeks in advance I still got hit with a non-refundable $30 fee.

Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
10 Thank Rdavis477
EGSBNB, Owner at Escalante's Grand Staircase Bed & Breakfast Inn, responded to this review, October 1, 2013
Since I do not know who this person is they are absolutely correct. I do have a $30.00 NON-Refundable Deposit AND a 14 day cancellation policy. If you cancel days 14-8 you will receive a credit good for 1-year from the date of your stay. If you cancel 7-days, or less, the room, plus taxes, is totally non-refundable. BUT I do tell guests that IF I can re-rent the room I will only charge them the $30.00 NON-Refundable deposit. Once again it is stated in their Reservation/Confirmation Letter and they HAVE TO agree to my terms or a Reservation cannot be made. If they did not agree with the terms WHY did they book the room.
To agree with my Terms and Conditions THEN complain after the fact, I cannot defend how people react to these situations.
What I find amazing in all of this is that people who read what they are sent or agree to, @99% of my guests, I have no problems with BUT people who do not read anything, @1%, I have after the fact problems. Why is that.

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Carmel, Indiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2013

We stayed at the Inn during our trip from Escalante to Moab and we were delighted! The room was decorated in a wonderful earth/southwest motif, the bed was very comfy and the grounds were lovely. We were greeted by the resident felines when we arrived and we felt immediately at home! Our innkeeper host was very friendly and helpful and makes an incredible breakfast!! We really loved the Inn and look forward to returning in the future. Highly recommend!!

Room Tip: All the rooms looked beautiful...we stayed in the Earth room. Relaxing decor and very spacious!
1 Thank Linda T
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2013 via mobile

We found the room quiet and charming with the mural and southwest motif. The Bed was comfortable (we brought our own pillows) and my wife loved the big bath tub! We liked the breakfasts; piping hot and served on warm plates. Tom was up early, as I always am at 6:30, so he gave a me a caraffe of coffee to bring back to the room. Tom was delightful and we enjoyed his perspective on the area. Couldn't have asked for more!

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Lyon, France
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2013

This is a nice place to stay, location is great and our room was big and clean. Excellent insolation in this hot weather, but poor sound insolation (you can hear the people next door). Breakfast is with NO choice and cheap : a thin 1/2' slice of melon no more, imposed by owner : too bad if you don't like it (and one morning it was not good) : don't expect the usual great choice of B&B. Website is very precise on all kind of restrictions, including you can't bring your kids or your pet, but forgets to mention the 6 cats living there : too bad if you have allergies … Owner charged us $29 more than the price he gave on the reservation and did not dare answering why...

4 Thank JARAWAK
EGSBNB, Owner at Escalante's Grand Staircase Bed & Breakfast Inn, responded to this review, August 18, 2013
After reading this review I had to hold my fingers from typing right away. I want to thank this guest for the compliments on my B&B.
Let me answer all of his problems/dissatisfactions one by one.
The sound proofing in my B&B was built ABOVE code with 2X6 sound proof walls with added extra insulation. I must admit this is the 3rd-4th comment, in @3 years, so I will look at alternatives to make the rooms quieter. I get so many comments on how quiet it is.
As for the meals, when you book on-line or in my Reservation/Confirmation Letter it is clearly stated that it's "cooks choice" and if you have ANY food allergies to please let me know at least 1-week in advance so I can special order, if necessary, items so that I can accommodate your allergies. No call.
As for the cats, I have 5 and a stray that comes around. One again it is CLEARLY stated that "We do not accept pets. We do have cats that are not allowed into the guest sleeping rooms". NO CALL
As for the over charge, I was never informed of this. If this guest had talked to me I would have corrected it immediately. 99/9% of charging "errors" are from the people reading the room charge BUT, once again, it is clearly stated PLUS TAX. They DID NOT inform me
As for children, I do accept well behaved children 12 and up. Once again the operative word is well behaved. I make no apologies or excuses for this policy. My guests are tired of unruly kids running around, screaming, hollering, crying, I want this, I want that and bothering other guests. Thats all I will say about that. NO comment/questions concerning this policy.
My final comment is this. IF he would have talked to me 99% of this could have been corrected or explained to them as to why. If the meal selection, kids, cats was a concern to him WHY did he stay here. It CLEARLY states all of this in my Reservation/Confirmation letters. If he feels he was over charged he can call me and I will correct/remedy the situation. If possible, and T.A. will let me, I will up-date this at a later time.
Visalia, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2013

We spent one night at this B&B. The room was spacious, with unique (not canned motel stuff) southwestern decor. Tom, the proprietor, was friendly, very informative, and provided a good breakfast. We would not have seen some of the sights we saw on our way to Moab if it weren't for his advice. It was a restful stop between viewing the Parks. Tom is a volunteer EMT and had been called away when we arrived. He sent someone to let us in, and we met him and his friendly cats as soon as he came back.

Room Tip: Only saw ours, but I think all rooms are about the same.
Maple Grove, Minnesota
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2013

We stopped in Escalante for one night on the way from Bryce to Moab. What a great find! The Escalante's Grand Staircase B&B was as advertised, very comfortable, spacious, clean and peaceful. Situated in the heart of a beautiful part of the country and quiet little town. The host, Tom, was gracious and anxious to share information about the area. His home-cooked breakfast was also excellent. An excellent value and much better choice than the motels in the area!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
NJ
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2013

We found this place on Fodor's and called on our way in driving from Arches towards Bryce Canyon.

We called Tom on the way and he was happy to give us a discounted rate since the B&B was not full and it was a last minute booking.

The rooms were very cute and decorated nicely. They were extremely comfortable and clean. Nothing extravagant, but perfect for a B&B.

Tom was very accommodating and gave helpful recommendations and tips for sights to see in the area, as well as restaurants. We chose the pizza place across the street which was delicious.

Breakfast was delicious and the coffee was fantastic.

This was our last night on a 5 day trip and easily our favorite spot!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank KatieKate14
Also consider these accommodations in or near Escalante
Ticaboo Resort
Canyons Bed and Breakfast
Canyons Bed and Breakfast
#2 of 10 in Escalante
Boulder Mountain Guest Ranch

Been to Escalante's Grand Staircase Bed & Breakfast Inn? Share your experiences!