The pros: The rooms are nicely decorated and the photos represent them accurately. Tom does like to talk about the area and had some suggestions of restaurants and hikes. The breakfasts were decent, but not stunning. The coffee was very good
The cons: The pillows were flat and uncomfortable, I would expect better quality for the price of his rooms. We never could get the internet to work, although other guests said they could. I didn't feel comfortable asking him about it because I got the sense he really didn't want to be bothered by the guests.... which brings me to the biggest cons:
the biggest cons: Tom's general attitude was just not very nice. We are a same sex couple, which may or may not have anything to do with it. there were three instances in particular that upset me:
1. My traveling companion woke up the second morning with a stomach bug (vomit, fever, etc). To his credit, Tom did give me a bottle of gatorade. To his detriment, he didn't answer his door or return my phone call when he got home asking if I could use his microwave to heat a bowl of soup for her. I asked him about it and he just avoided me. I ended up having to drive to a gas station and drive the soup back.
2. When she was somewhat better the next day, he still served her his Parmesan eggs (which we got two out of three days ) and a very rich, sweet french toast. A thoughtful person would have offered plain eggs to a person who was sick. Maybe it didn't even occur to him, or maybe he just didn't want to bother.
3. I went out for a hike and came home with Chacos covered in sand. Tom came out of his house, asked how my friend was feeling, chatted briefly. When I said I would like to rinse off my sandals but noticed a pad lock on his hose, he literally turned his back on me and walked off. Just like that. I was stunned that he would do that!
Overall, I just got the sense that he mostly just wanted to be left alone after the breakfast was served so he could go ride his horses and motorcycles. His place is pretty, but it is more like a hotel then a b and b. A hotel with bad service. The man is just surly.
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Orbitz, Priceline, Agoda and Hotwire so you can book your The Inn of Escalante reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Inn Of Escalante Utah