“nice rooms. surly, unhelpful innkeeper. blah breakfast”

The Inn of Escalante
Ranked #6 of 9 Escalante B&B and Inns
Reviewed June 11, 2013

The pros: The rooms are nicely decorated and the photos represent them accurately. Tom does like to talk about the area and had some suggestions of restaurants and hikes. The breakfasts were decent, but not stunning. The coffee was very good

The cons: The pillows were flat and uncomfortable, I would expect better quality for the price of his rooms. We never could get the internet to work, although other guests said they could. I didn't feel comfortable asking him about it because I got the sense he really didn't want to be bothered by the guests.... which brings me to the biggest cons:

the biggest cons: Tom's general attitude was just not very nice. We are a same sex couple, which may or may not have anything to do with it. there were three instances in particular that upset me:

1. My traveling companion woke up the second morning with a stomach bug (vomit, fever, etc). To his credit, Tom did give me a bottle of gatorade. To his detriment, he didn't answer his door or return my phone call when he got home asking if I could use his microwave to heat a bowl of soup for her. I asked him about it and he just avoided me. I ended up having to drive to a gas station and drive the soup back.

2. When she was somewhat better the next day, he still served her his Parmesan eggs (which we got two out of three days ) and a very rich, sweet french toast. A thoughtful person would have offered plain eggs to a person who was sick. Maybe it didn't even occur to him, or maybe he just didn't want to bother.

3. I went out for a hike and came home with Chacos covered in sand. Tom came out of his house, asked how my friend was feeling, chatted briefly. When I said I would like to rinse off my sandals but noticed a pad lock on his hose, he literally turned his back on me and walked off. Just like that. I was stunned that he would do that!

Overall, I just got the sense that he mostly just wanted to be left alone after the breakfast was served so he could go ride his horses and motorcycles. His place is pretty, but it is more like a hotel then a b and b. A hotel with bad service. The man is just surly.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Nancy R
EGSBNB, Owner at The Inn of Escalante, responded to this reviewResponded June 13, 2013

WOW... I am very surprised by this review... To begin with I am TOTALLY surprised with the remark of them being a "same sex couple' and maybe/maybe not that had something to do with me not helping them. That is a very discriminatory remark..
I am a volunteer with 14-years experience, EMT and if I remember right I was out on a very serious call. I am sorry I was not here to answer the door for them. I would have offered soup that I had if I was here.I was told when we finally talked they her partner was having a stomach problem, gave her The Gatorade asked then what she would like for breakfast instead of what everyone else was having, they told me and I made it for them. I was told it would be fine. I cooked what they asked for.
As for the hose to clean off their shoes. I was not asked. There are hose bibs all around the building. The one they are referring to is locked as people have tried to wash their car so I locked it. It's not that I don't remember them asking, it's they did not ask. IF they did I would have told them there are hose bibs on the side of the building, please feel free to use them.
The internet works. I have had the phone company here to "look" at the system and they said it worked great and is at 95-100% of advertised speed. By their own admission they stated everyone else's worked. I will not alter settings on someone else's computer.
I am sorry they did not like my Cream Cheese French Toast with Berry Sauce OR Carmel Apple French Toast. This is the first time I have had someone comment that they did not like this. These are two of my favorites and returnees ask for them upon making reservations.
I do not receive complaints on my pillows. I replace them every few years whether I think I need to or not.
Once again I am sorry this couple had issues with staying here. If they had come to me I could have corrected many, if not all, of them.
Yes I do have a horse and a motorcycle that I ride after my guests check-in. They are my get-a-ways and I ride when ever I can.
We, Innkeepers, depend on what our guests need/want. When guests are leaving I always try to say thanks for coming, hope you had a good time etc and no one say will come up and say how to improve or offer suggestions what are we to think.
Tom Mansell
Innkeeper
E.G.S. B&B/Inn

Reviewed June 7, 2013

This was a delightful B&B. Rooms were clean, spacious and well decorated. Breakfasts were scrumptious each day. We spent four nights with Tom and we were delighted with his service!!! Tom is a wealth of information about places to visit and recommendations for short and long excursions. We will tell all our friends about this wonderful B&B and will return to spend more time. We had a most enjoyable stay in Escalante.
Carolyn and Walt Kelley

Room Tip: Our room had a small deck that was a delightful place to spend the afternoon relaxing. (SAGE ROOM)
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank WestwindColorado
Reviewed May 27, 2013

We stayed 3 nights and wish we could have stayed longer. The rooms are nicely decorated, very large and comfortable. Tom was very helpful and we especially enjoyed our delicious breakfasts. Good food and met so many nice people. The area has very good restaurants and some nice shops. A small, quaint town and so beautiful and peaceful. Looking forward to going back for a visit.

Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Claudia B
Reviewed March 29, 2013

we arrived Escalante on road 12 east to Brice canyon.we looked for a nice place to stay, and found this wonderful b&b -Escalante's Grand Staircase Bed & Breakfast Inn.
the price was not low, but we enjoed it very much.the bads are comfertable and very nice desined (with reddi bears...)' the bathroom was efficent , but the main thing there is tom , the mannagef. he helps us with tips and maps - what to do and wer to go , full of good energy - makes our stay ther a wonderfull adventure/

Room Tip: all the rooms seemed the same and they all were nice/
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Amalia G
Reviewed November 5, 2012

large, clean, uniquely and beautifully appointed rooms at a very reasonable price. Tom makes a great breakfast and really knows the region. He is very helpful. When one of our fellow guests accidently locked himself out of his room, we contacted Tom - who was out of the area - and he immediately came roaring back on his motorcycle. He couldn't have been nicer about it. We will stay here every time we are in the area.

Room Tip: There is no swimming pool. I can't get that "terrible" rating to go away.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank tangoguy2009
EGSBNB, Owner at The Inn of Escalante, responded to this reviewResponded November 7, 2012

I really appreciate the great review. I really try to help out all of my guests so that they have a great time while here. I know you are here to go places and see things and I really try to help out my guests with "insider-local" suggestions. I like to cook so I try to do different breakfast every morning and invite my guests up for morning coffee before breakfast so we can talk about their day and how they can get the most, and best, out of the area while they are here.
Thanks again,
Tom

Reviewed September 18, 2012

The 'Fire Room' was huge yet cozy, right in town yet quiet, not cheap yet worth it. Tom is very helpful if you're looking for tips on places to explore or a good spot for a draught or a place to gaze at stars, and he's not a bad cook, either.

Room Tip: He didn't advertise a pool or fitness center, I couldn't uncheck them.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 1, 2012

First: not an other chain Hotel. Silent Area, comfortable rooms, nice owner. Listen to him,he knows the region and favoured the Escalante NP.
Breakfast is made on time from Tom in front of you, delicious! A place to relax.
There are enough restaurants nearby.
The decoration of the rooms looks like the web says. Not to cheap but a value.
Good place to stay some day in the region. And if you arrived from Moab, the route 24 and 12 are sienic to ride.

• Stayed: July 2012
1  Thank joedreir
Also consider these accommodations in or near Escalante
Canyon Country Lodge
Boulder Mountain Guest Ranch
Wild West Retreat
Wild West Retreat
#5 of 9 in Escalante

Been to The Inn of Escalante? Share your experiences!