“Cozy cabin”

Escalante Outfitters, Inc -- The Bunkhouse
Layton, Utah
“Cozy cabin”
Reviewed July 3, 2013

I stayed here overnight on a business trip. Everyone I encountered at the front desk was super friendly and helpful. I immediately felt welcomed. I loved the cabin I stayed in! Very small space with none of the usual hotel/motel amenities such as TV or air conditioning, but it worked out well for me. The price was right, and it was easy to make reservations. The cabin was very clean and new-looking (with just a few little cobwebs around...hard to avoid those in a cabin, I think). The room was supplied with a big fan, nice bedding, towels and soap (GREAT soap...I wish there had been some I could buy before I left), and comfortable decor. It was a bit hot and stuffy inside when I first closed the door when I went to bed, but it cooled off soon and I slept really well.

The bathroom arrangements were a bit uncomfortable for me. I've stayed in RV parks before and have never minded using group bathrooms, but in this one privacy was tough to come by. The showers open right into the shared space (just a shower curtain between you and the other guests) with no easy way to get out of clothes and back into clean, dry clothes without some risk of exposure. A bit squirmy for a shy person such as myself. I found myself wishing I had brought a big bath robe from home. The bathroom sinks (both of them) are inside the toilet enclosures, so if someone were to go in just to wash their face and brush their teeth, they would have to tie up one of the two toilets as well. The only reason I mention all of this is because someone else with huge privacy issues (like mine) might have a hard time being comfortable using these facilities. Aside from the exposure stuff the bathrooms were totally clean and clearly well-cared for.

Outside my cabin, there was a little front porch with a couple of chairs, some picnic facilities (picnic table, grill, etc.), and friendly chickens roaming around. Great atmosphere! Overall, a very pleasing experience. I would stay here again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
College Station, TX
Reviewed July 2, 2013

These cabins were so inexpensive that I was concerned they might be a little more “rustic” than my wife and I wanted but we were VERY pleasantly surprised. They are small, one-room cabins that are very clean and very nicely kept. The bed was comfortable and had nice bedding. Since we weren't sure what to expect, we even took our own towels but the cabins have towels, shampoo and soap like you would expect at most places. The shared bathrooms and showers are in a separate building but are very close and were also clean. The showers don’t have a private changing area unless you use one of the bathroom stalls – not a big deal. We were there in June and there is no a/c so the cabin was very warm when we arrived in the afternoon but it cooled down at night. The cabin had a fan and a screen for the front door which helped with cooling. We actually left our front door open all night with just the screen in place and even though we were not far from the road, it was very quiet and I slept great. Each unit has a tiny front porch with a couple of chairs and we enjoyed sitting outside watching their chickens roam the front yard as the evening cooled off. There is a restaurant on location and Escalante has a small grocery store nearby. The Bunkhouse cabins are located on the scenic Utah Hwy 12 and were a convenient overnight stop for us between Capitol Reef and Bryce Canyon National Parks while being away from the hubbub.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 1, 2013

Our group spent two nights here during a weekend hiking trip to Grand Staircase Escalante National Monument. Our group included tent campers and folks who chose to stay in the cozy cabins. We had a great trip, were pleased to be able to bring our dogs with us, and everyone was happy (even folks who usually avoid developed camping had to admit a hot shower at night and a fresh cooked breakfast in the morning made for a good time. We enjoyed evenings around the communal campfire and all agreed we'd like to come back to stay here again. The site is not fancy, but is clean and provides easy access to world-class hiking. These folks deserve credit for creating a welcoming place for not a lot of money. Thanks!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends

Logan, Utah
Reviewed July 1, 2013

Our cabin was clean and comfortable. The bathhouse was always clean. The service was great too. We loved eating with all the chickens roaming around too. We plan on coming back to do more hikes and will stay in another cabin.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

Spring, Texas
Reviewed July 1, 2013

Escalante Outfitters is the heart and soul of the town of Escalante. Whether you are just passing through or staying for a few days to enjoy the area, or need a place to come back to for a nice, hot shower after spending the day exploring the slot canyons, this is the place to be. The cabins are cozy, the internet café/coffeshop is a great evening gathering spot, and the shop is filled with everything you need to be able to try your luck at finding Everett Ruess. Some folks might not care for the small common-use toilet and shower facility, but it goes with the semi-rustic setting of the cabins, and the bath facilities are ALWAYS clean and sparkling. The people working at the Outfitters are cheerful, too. What's not to be cheerful about? Look where they get to live and work. It's the only place I stay, time after time.

Room Tip: All of the cabins are great, with equal proximity to the toilet/shower.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo

Amman Governorate, Jordan
Reviewed May 30, 2013

We really liked the place, the cabins are (as you can see on the photo) basic wood huts but very clean and having everything you need. The bed was not too soft so we slept very good. The only disadvantage is that the toilet is outside so if you have to go during the night you have to step out into the cold. Anyhow, the toilets are also very clean and everything functions perfectly.

The restaurant serves excellent food, we had smoked trout salad and pizza and we loved it. The service was excellent, they reply to all questions very patient and they also serve very good local made beers. We do recommend very much.

Room Tip: We had cabin number 4 and in the morning it was not in the bright sun, so it did not heat up so much...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Walter B
Belmont, Massachusetts
Reviewed May 30, 2013

We made reservations understanding that the cabins have separate, shared bathrooms. We figured we'd be there only a few nights and could "make do" with the inconvenience. It turned out to be a fun, lovely experience, and my favorite stop during our trip full of otherwise non-descript hotels. The ambiance is hip and the owners/operators clearly want to make each visitor comfortable. The cabins and bath houses are very clean, the other guests were friendly, and the setting makes one feel like they are staying in a little friendly village. Being from the East Coast, we were up very early in the morning and therefore didn't have any problem with finding an empty shower stall at 6AM... Yes, the cabins are very small; enough room for a standard bed, one table and hooks on the wall. Leave extra luggage in the car -- you won't need it and it won't fit in the room anyway :-)

Room Tip: Number 6 was a good choice -- halfway in the line and convenient to both men and women bath houses.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Isy73
Also consider these accommodations in or near Escalante
Ticaboo Resort
Boulder Mountain Guest Ranch
Wild West Retreat
Wild West Retreat
#5 of 10 in Escalante

Been to Escalante Outfitters, Inc -- The Bunkhouse? Share your experiences!