“a good roadside stop”
Review of Circle D Motel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Escalante
Circle D Motel
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Escalante
Springdale, Utah
“a good roadside stop”
Reviewed November 1, 2013

This motel looks a little forlorn but the rooms are spacious and well equipped with everything you need. there are two blocks and we stayed in what looks the older block but I dont know if the newer block is better or more expensive. And the restaurant is bright and cheerful with good food.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (127)
Munich, Germany
Reviewed October 31, 2013

Circle D is a very good motel in Escalante. Large and clean rooms, with fridge and microwave, fast wifi, and very friendly reception. On top of that they have a number of good books in all rooms that show much of the surrounding scenery - this can give you some ideas of what to do in Escalante - and there is plenty to do. Why not five stars? It's a bit expensive, but the reason for that could be that Escalante in itself is a bit expensive due to all the great attractions around that town.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Wolfgang81245
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed October 23, 2013

For a local motel, Circle D is a great choice. Located in the center of Escalante, next to the Circle D Eatery (yummy and not related business-wise). The rooms are sufficiently roomy, have a small refrigerator and microwave (?), good WIFI, clean. Robert, who booked us and checked us in, is very nice. Plus, they send a thank-you note when you check out!

Room Tip: The motel rooms are linear and perpendicular to the road. If you want to reduce road noise, ask for...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank GinkoBoston
Orem, Utah
Reviewed October 21, 2013

We stayed here one night as we rode our motorcycles on Hwy 12. This is your older style motel where you park in front of your room. It has been completely re-done. The parking lot is roomy and has enough space if you're hauling a trailer.

The room was clean and well taken care of. Since we arrived on motorcycles in late October it was nice to open the door to a warm cozy room. The room had plenty of space for all our gear. There was a fridge that was on and cold, a microwave and a coffee maker. We didn't use the microwave or coffee maker. I was pleasantly surprised to see it also had a blow dryer. I didn't expect to see one in an older motel.

The shower was fantastic. It has plenty of hot water and a detachable shower head with multiple settings. The room with the shower and toilet is a bit small but it works. There is very little cabinet space so if you like to spread out when getting ready in the morning you'll not be doing it here.

The bed was comfortable but the pillows were not. We slept well after putting in ear plugs. It seems the neighbor to our south (room 25) was jumping or dancing or something. It didn't seem like a party but there was noise coming from that room late into the night. We wouldn't have known we had a neighbor to the north (room 23) other than we met them. Its not that there is noise between the rooms. I just think we got a very noisy neighbor in room 25. We always carry earplugs so for us other than being annoying while watching TV the noise wasn't an issue.

If you're staying in Escalante you can't go wrong with Circle D.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Austin, Texas
Reviewed October 19, 2013

I recently spent 3 nights at the Circle D Motel while hiking in GS-Escalante NM with a small group of friends. Tripadvisor lists 10 B&B's but only 3 motels in Escalante, so unless you like B&B style lodging, and I don't, there isn't much to choose from here. I am told Circle D is the best in town and I don't doubt it, but best of 3 in Escalante does not mean it is a great motel.

I was in #18 (2 double beds) and did not see any of the other rooms. The building materials and finishes in my room appeared cheap to me, but the room did contain a microwave, a mini fridge and a small coffee maker.

There appeared to be a lack of attention to detail when cleaning the room. For example, there was a dead fly smashed on the wall above the window when I checked in. It was still there when I left. Corner areas in the room lacked cleaning, especially in the bathroom. The TV remote looked as though it had never been cleaned. Sheets and towels appeared clean, but had obvious stains that wouldn't wash out.

The bathroom was interesting. The toilet would run on after flushing and I always had to go back and giggle the handle to get it to stop. The plastic one-piece tub/shower combo had no faucet or drain control, so a bath in the tub was out of the question. No big deal for me as I am a shower guy, but the only shower head was a hand held unit mounted at about chin height and I am only 5' 10". It was hard to keep the water temperature at a comfortable level as usage in other rooms would dramatically change it one way or the other. And there was no ceiling vent in the bathroom - you can guess the outcome of that, enough said.

The flat panel TV worked OK and had a good selection of channels, but, as others have said, the in room WiFi was poor unless you happened to wake up in the middle of the night when no none else was using it, in which case it worked great.

All in all, about the best I can say for my room was that it was basic but adequate. The best thing about this property overall is its restaurant, but you don't have to stay here to eat here. It had a diverse menu and good food, and a good beer and wine selection. And the servers were all super. The restaurant was very busy both nights I was there.

So how do I rate Circle D? The average of my 7 individual ratings below is 3.16, so I rate it a 3 (average) on the tripadvisor 5 point scale.

The closest better motel would probably be in Boulder, about 27 miles north on SR12. The Boulder Mountain Lodge is one of my favorites and their Hell's Backbone Grill restaurant is one of the best in Utah. Escalante is, however, centrally located between Bryce Canyon NP to the west and Capital Reef NP to the north. and is the gateway to the wonderful Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monument.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Basel, Switzerland
Reviewed October 15, 2013

Yes, the Motel is "dated". For travelers who don't like that, I suggest going elsewhere. Also, don't come to Escalante at all if the most important priority is getting connected to the Internet (although we personally had no problems here) We like the atmosphere - talking to fellow travelers who are also sitting on the long front porch, strolling over to the Circle D Eatery for a good meal. Two of our five nights this year were spent in the "Cozy Cottage", which is very charming. We hope there will be a fourth time.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank pzon
Alameda, California
Reviewed October 15, 2013 via mobile

Stayed there a week & will be back. Robert was so helpful with all kinds of questions on what to do as the national parks were closed most of the time. Rooms are well appointed & cared for, but not super fancy. We had refridge, flat screen TV & microwave and coffee pot. Dual sinks were a nice touch too. Beautiful sunrise views too!

• Stayed October 2013
Also consider these accommodations in or near Escalante
Ticaboo Resort
#1 of 10 in Escalante
Wild West Retreat
Wild West Retreat
#4 of 10 in Escalante

Been to Circle D Motel? Share your experiences!