“Take your life to a new level. Time to go deep.”

Excursions of Escalante
Ranked #1 of 6 Tours in Escalante
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: We are in our 18TH year as Escalante's first locally based professional guide service. Our commitment is to safely guide our guests beyond the more accessible places (Spooky, Peekaboo, Big Horn, etc.) And into the most remote, beautiful and pristine corners of the Escalante region. Our Permits in the Grand Staircase Escalante National Monument, Glen Canyon National Recreation Area, Box Death Hollow Wilderness Area and Dixie National Forest, allow us to offer unparalleled off trail hiking, canyoneering and backpacking tours to our guests. Canyoneering Tours, Slot Canyon Hiking Tours and Multi-Day Backpacking and Canyoneering Tours.
Useful Information: Wheelchair access
Reviewed December 6, 2012

I would recommend a trip with Excursions of Escalante to anyone that is smart enough to head off the beaten path and into the wild beauty of Grand Staircase. I have taken multiple trips with Excursions of Escalante from private guided trips with friends, to trips with my 10 year old daughter, to the Canyoneering Course. In these, Rick and Jim taught me the foundation skills that I needed to take my exploration of the canyon lands from day hiking to canyoneering. Rick is extremely knowledgeable about the area and willing to share his knowledge and expertise with anyone who is interested in learning more about the canyons. I would recommend this guide company to everyone I know. I'll be back again very soon.

ExcursionsTeam, Owner at Excursions of Escalante, responded to this reviewResponded April 8, 2013

Hello -

Thank you for your review. We appreciate your feedback! It is nice to hear that you enjoy getting "off the beaten path" as much as we do. It is always fun to get away from the crowds and have a canyon all to yourselves. We look forward to seeing you again!

Rick & Amie

"wealth of information"
"super fun"
"tight spots"

Reviewed December 3, 2012

I have used Excursions of Escalante for several types of trips and have NEVER been disappointed! They are professional, knowledgeable and fun! I have taken trips with friends, family and have even attended their Canyoneering training course. I would recommend Excursions without hesitation, not only are they experts in what they do, they are great at training others to canyoneer in a safe way that respects the environment. I look forward to many more opportunities to "play" with Excursions of Escalante! THANKS Rick, Amie and Jim!

Hi -
Thank you for your review. We appreciate it! We are so glad to hear of your experiences with us. We truly enjoy seeing you and your family on your each and every visit to Escalante!

Rick & Amie

Reviewed November 8, 2012

We always wanted to explore the canyons of the Escalante and decided to hire a guide to show us the sights. While the canyons were beautiful, we were very disappointed with our experience at Excursiuons of Escalante. The owner of the place comes across as a very arrogant individual who thinks he owns the the Grand Staircase Escalante National Monument. Amazing this guy has a job in a customer service oriented industry. We'll be back to the Escalante, but next time with a more professional guide service.

5  Thank Travellin_Man12
ExcursionsTeam, Owner at Excursions of Escalante, responded to this reviewResponded December 4, 2012

After painfully reviewing this for a month, it’s time to respond. We had hoped to respond directly, but we are unable to find any group fitting your description or time frame visited. Your words are deeply personal and mean spirited, yet I want to respond to your statement as well as let folks know about our philosophy and a bit about myself.

Customer service is relatively easy . We have an absolutely beautiful product (great canyons) so we focus on providing you with a clean and easy place to meet, outfit guests in the best equipment available, provide fresh coffee on arrival, a hardy lunch in the canyon, Haagen-Dazs ice cream when you finish, lots of pictures, relaxed atmosphere, etc, etc, etc. Super easy.

Ownership of the Monument. This is Federal Land and belongs to you! Guides in no way have or deserve better access than anyone else. Also, I believe it is well established in our local community and related online communities that we are a willing resource for Monument/canyon information and conditions. We get great satisfaction in helping people explore the Monument, whether they are taking a tour or not. It is so beautiful and so vast, sometimes just a little help goes a long way. On average I hand draw around 400-500 maps annually and anyone can stop in if you have questions.

Finally, arrogance. I do feel like one of the luckiest humans around. Each day I wake up KNOWING that I am going to meet some very interesting people, watch (help) them have an absolutely incredible experience and ultimately bring them home safely. I know they will get great photo’s and communicate with friends and family in ways they may not have in a long time. It’s bizarre, but I KNOW we are going to have a great day. Why do I feel this way, knowing how different each one of us are and knowing the challenges of nature??? Could be arrogance, ignorance or confidence, I’m not totally sure. But I sometimes think that it boils down to one simple thing, we care. It is deeply important to us that your experience be as exceptional as possible and anything short of that is a disappointment to our team. Your time is as precious to us as it is to you, therefore we treat each day/tour as though it’s the most important trip of the year. If this is arrogance, than I am guilty as charged.

Looking forward to a very fun 2013 season. Rick Green

Reviewed October 28, 2012

A must do if you are in the area. If you don't have "old" clothes with you, find a thrift shop. You will get dirty but will have a fantastic time in the process. Jim and Katie (our guides) were awesome and taught us many partnering techniques.

1  Thank Jan M
ExcursionsTeam, Owner at Excursions of Escalante, responded to this reviewResponded November 15, 2012

Thank you for your note! We appreciate your feedback and are glad to hear that Jim and Caitie showed you a good time. Have a fabulous winter and perhaps we'll have the pleasure of your company in the canyons again in the future.
Amie
Owner

See more reviews
Reviewed October 25, 2012

Do Not Miss This Opportunity.
If you are a physically active person, not an athlete, this is a wonderful chance to experience the canyons of the southwest. The outfitter and staff make this day comfortable, safe and fun. I'm a 63 year old woman and have never climbed down a canyon wall before. I will say the six of us were a little hesitant and nervous at first, but the guides were so good at walking us through every step. What we thought was going to be a difficult day turned out to be an incredibly fun experience of a lifetime. Excursions of Escalante are the people you want to be climbing around these canyons with.

ExcursionsTeam, Owner at Excursions of Escalante, responded to this reviewResponded November 1, 2012

Thank you for the write up! We are glad to hear you had a good time! We take folks of all ages canyoneering. We take as young as 7 years old to.....well....we've had 83 year olds canyoneering. Folks just need to be in good physical condition and comfortable hiking 4 miles in a day. No worries!

It would be great to see you again and thank you again for the lovely note.

Amie